It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cloverfield/Blair Witch what do you think?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
With the popularity of youtube style clips and movies do you think the future will see more movies like Cloverfield and the Blair Witch Project?

Granted the "BWP" (Blair Witch Project)was sometime ago compaired to Cloverfield. But to me Cloverfield is a BWP that was backed with a big budget. Both used suspense to start a frenzied buildup that hyped the movie into big weekends. Both had But once word of mouth reached the ones who didn't go right away that the movie didn't reach exspectations the hype went like the dow. Both also had unsatisfactory ending that led to their "tapes" being found later by unknown people who are apparently us.

With the popularity of sites that allow you direct, star, act (poorly), and write your own movies is this the future of media. Will movies like this become mainstream?

I want to know what you think?

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
they both had good stories, wether or not they were produced as well as ther story could of been told is another question,

these kinda movies have potential. they just need to lay off the motion aspect of the handmovie feel, cuz that was a headache in its self, but i wanted to watch more to see what happen, so as for a movie it did pretty well.

of course u had yer dum dums take their wrong turns and moves an so forth but it wasnt all that bad, needed a better ending thoe.

blair witch as well, being that im 20 mins from where it was supposed to be taken place at, I felt as if it was just in my woods with some rebel rousers. lol

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I am currently on the fringes of the Movie industry working as and extra/standin in feature films and TV, eventually hoping to get into local 480 to work in the art dept, props, wardrobe, set decoration, cars, etc.

And from what I have learned in the few months I have been working is that the advantage of big budget projects is that they have a marketing section with their own big money to push and promote the film.

Big name stars bring in the patrons. No matter how good a film is with out names and marketing, excellent post production; it will be very difficult for independents to garner any type of audience.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
....... it will be very difficult for independents to garner any type of audience.

Only 2 films have been mentioned on this thread "Cloverfield" which has yet to run it's course, and "The Blair Witch Project".

Now do you really believe that BWP did not garner an audience of any type?

There have been 100's, nay 1000's of successful independents produced over the years and a famous face was not what it took for them to be successful or to garner an audience.

Don't get me wrong I love a good hollywood blockbusting no brainer, but quality is not measured in dollars.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I thought both of them were entertaining..Neither BWP or Cloverfield are award winning films or even contenders but they're solid, entertaining flicks. The kinds of movies i enjoy seeing in the theatres. But probably wont own on DVD.

[edit on 28-1-2008 by Roland Deschain]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Koka

Originally posted by whaaa
....... it will be very difficult for independents to garner any type of audience.

Only 2 films have been mentioned on this thread "Cloverfield" which has yet to run it's course, and "The Blair Witch Project".

Now do you really believe that BWP did not garner an audience of any type?

There have been 100's, nay 1000's of successful independents produced over the years and a famous face was not what it took for them to be successful or to garner an audience.

I said it was difficult not impossible. With the advent of film festivals like Sundance, independents have a much greater shot at success because a large studio may pick up the marketing slack and offer post production services.

en.wikipedia.org...

Here is a film I was in that won an award at Sundance.

www.efluxmedia.com...

on topic....I thought the POV camera techinque in BWP and Cloverfield was lame beyong belief but both films were entertaining like RD said. This style of film making might catch on but I personally won't go see anymore films of this type.

[edit on 28-1-2008 by whaaa]

[edit on 28-1-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I haven't seen cloverfield yet, but BWP was one of my favourite horror films, simply because it left it up to the viewer.

By this, I mean that it's up to YOU how scary it is - and if you have a good imagination, it's very scary indeed.
Blood, guts and gore don't make a good horror - suspense does, as evidenced by the older movies which didn't have to rely on effects to scare.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Cloverfield sucked. Watched it, took me back to the 90s when the American Godzilla was released. Only difference was the Godzilla movie actually had Godzilla in it while this movie... Dark, dark, dark, bright blinding light, dark, a monster thing maybe int he dark, a flash of the big monster maybe, dark, dark, die under a bridge.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Cloverfield was freaking awesome.
It blew my f'in mind.
I'd recommend any of you to see it it's crazy.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I watched Cloverfield last night an I enjoyed it. I enjoyed BWP too.

I think what appeals to me about this kind of film are the long, unbroken shots. They suck me in and heighten the tension. The handheld jiggly aspect of it doesn't bother me at all.

top topics

join