It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Urgent question about Steering wheel.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
This morning on my way to work, I noticed that when I turn the wheel left or right, there's a metal "clunk" in the steering column, coinciding with a small bump against the break pedal. Steering isn't effected at all, but the noise worries me. It sounds as if there's a loose piece of plastic or rubber encased metal slipping and knocking against another piece of metal. The noise is clearly in the steering column itself.

Does anyone know what this could be? My main concern is, is it dangerous? Can I wait until Friday payday (today's Monday) until I take it to a mechanic. Car is a 1998 Honda Accord Coupe.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
U-Joint in the steering column, a bad PS rack, warped disks, wheelbearings worn, CV's... all could have an influence. Mechanista time.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Few more details:
A few details:

-The wheel does not have to be centered, the clunk can be felt when jiggling the wheel left and right regardless of how far the wheels are turned one way or the other.

-The clunk is independent of power steering, and can be felt if the engine (and thus PS pump) is on or off.

-If you place your hand on the coweling around the steering wheel (right behind the wheel, where the stalks for the signal and light controls come out) some of the bump/clunk can be felt and heard right near the steering wheel hub. The wheel is stock and has never been removed/replaced.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Sounds like a track rod end to me.

That's the bit of the steering rack that actually connects to the wheel hub.

It's small piece and easily replaced, but you'll need a garage to make sure the tracking is correct.
It's not just a simple 'take it off, put new one on'.

Either that or it's a another very similar problem somewhere in that area.
Could even be a a shock mount gone...

Best thing to do is get to a garage. It wont take long to fix (if parts are there) and it's not a big problem.

top topics

join