It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Special ops infiltrator

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Does anyone of you know anything about U.S. special ops infiltrator? I just can't believe that it doesn't exist. I think it is being developed in Area51.

Well that's my fancy top-secret aircraft
:

It is an all wing design
Maybe it's unmanned
It has very good gliding capability to be really stealth (no engines running)
Uses stealth technology
Can be supersonic to to get out of hostile territory as quick as possible when soldiers are on the ground

What do you think how does it looks like (what capabilities does it have) if it exists?

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Oh, and which white aircraft (except V-22 which is really loud) is now in use for such infiltration?

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by sovietman
Does anyone of you know anything about U.S. special ops infiltrator? I just can't believe that it doesn't exist. I think it is being developed in Area51.

:

It is an all wing design
Maybe it's unmanned
Uses stealth technology
Can be supersonic to to get out of hostile territory as quick as possible when soldiers are on the ground

What do you think how does it looks like (what capabilities does it have) if it exists?

Needs to be able to land quick and in a small place.
Take off fast.
All wing design is not technical.
It could be manned.
Nevermind, its a glider!
It emitts little heat.
Fast.

Artist render:

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by amanbuthimself

For what it's worth in the very crappy mood I'm in, that picture brought meager joy to my heart.

Thank you.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Oh, and which white aircraft (except V-22 which is really loud) is now in use for such infiltration?

I have not yet heard a reporter or military service member say the V-22 is loud. If thats you personal opinion that fine but the facts I get don't support that and the footage if seen and heard doesn't seem to support that either. Sure its loud on take off be thats if your right next to it and its too late. For inbound flight etc my understanding is that its much quicker and quieter then the Pavehawk.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
The videotape is deceptive. I had to endure months of CV-22 testing in hover mode and low-level flight just outside my office. It was loud and rattled the whole building. Drove me crazy. Some days, I also had to listen to the jet engine test cells and trim pad engine runs with a few sonic booms thrown in for good measure. Ear plugs aren't enough when it feels like your innards are vibrating.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I just had to post this...the perfect way to fly james-bond style!

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by amanbuthimself

Best artist's conception EVER! You need to contact Hearst-Argyle and get a job with Popular Mechanics!

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadowhawk

It weird because I trust your word SH as some one who as been around them but I also read so many reports of people saying how surprisingly quiet it is. So mixed info is what I'm suffering from. Can you clear up if it would be quiet enough when its on the move at low level for inserting troops. I'm sure it would be loud with the short hover and bugging out of the drop zone but its the lead up that is needed for the drop but I guess the more quite over all the better because if they never hear the drop then they don't know anyone is there which can be the point depending on the mission.

In which case that flying wing looks like the trick

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I don't think the tilt-rotor V-22 is inherently louder or quieter than a lot of other aircraft. I think the noise level is dependent on distance, angle, and atmospheric conditions. All I know is that it pounded the heck out of my building day after day during testing.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   

:

It is an all wing design
Maybe it's unmanned
Uses stealth technology

I'm doubtful you're going to find a flying wing design that is good at gliding AND is supersonic. The two concepts simply don't mix well.

As for the V-22 and the need for aural stealth - there are features available to the military which effectively cancel out the beating sound of helicopter blades, and it would be within the realm of possibilities to adapt such a system for the Osprey.

(Incidently, I had an opportunity to ride an Osprey to a work site and I opted to catch a ride on the next hummer that was headed that way. V-22's just scare me...)

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
You probably did right with catching the hummer. Would have been nice to fly in the Osprey though if it didn't mean having a fair chance of losing your life imminently.

I've been offered a contract at BAe. Apparently they're interested in making a new super sonic glider.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I saw a video of Osprey (can't find it now) and it's really loud.

It's the same reason as with the helicopters. The blades make whirlwind and when another blade hits it, that sound is produced. It's impossible to make a blade that makes no whirlwind.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
In the begining there was...

Air America's Black Helicopter

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I suppose the best way would be not to have an infiltrator aircraft at all - go for a high altitude low opening approach in the dead of night - those guys must really be able to cover some ground, more than 30 miles. Then for extraction you could go for that one where you got a helium balloon on the end of a cable and a modified C-130 snatches you up... Any way, in my little fantasy world that's how my little trip to the Iranian corner shop would go.

Something along the lines of a Gravity Plane could be promising - you could arrive fast and almost silent ~ but there is no way you would be making a quick exit.

[edit on 11/2/2008 by Now_Then]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by sovietman

True, but it is possible to mitigate it using a deliberately uneven leading edge (tuned for air speed).

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
When you say "Spec OPs" it takes in a lot of territory. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and "others" (and that's just US outfits). One size DOES NOT fit all.

On the white side, they use "MH" series helos, C141's, C 130's, and a few other fixed wing for dry land insertions. Of course, the helos have limited range and make enough noise to raise the dead. For littoral insertions, they use everything from sub lock-outs and rubber raiding craft to Mk V raiding craft. For riverine, there is yet another whole family of watercraft. Again, range and payload are limited, as is fire support (ends at the beach).

SEAL platoons consist of 16 men, so that's how many such a craft, whether by water or by air, must transport, supply, and support. Unless, of course, they are divided into squads. Any machine that large is harder to maneuver, likely is considerably louder, and is harder to maintain and support than the trusty and trusted rubber raiding craft. And it's awfully hard to lock a large craft out of submarine (the Swimmer Delivery Vehicle has a large cylindrical pod welded to the outer hull of the boat).

Also, anything that fills these bills must also be transportable in either a C5 or C17. Or better yet, in a 40 foot CONEX box and be able to fit on the rear ramp / well deck of a Cyclone class (Patrol, Coastal).

And any craft that transports the men must also transport their gear and equipment, even including their ground transport like Desert Patrol Vehicle and mules -- both gasoline and hay varieties.

It should have range and speed comparable to the MH series helos they now use, do VTOL / STOL, and be armed to the teeth. It should have folding wings for minimum parked footprint, have a whole suite of stealth technologies (audio, sonar, radar, visible), and should be cheaper to operate and easier to maintain than what they have now.

However, any transport will work. When "spec ops" went into Baghdad to laser designate targets for smart bombs in the opening volley, they used a Toyota pick up...

The below example is designed for 8 passengers and their gear (no vehicles or saddles)

[edit on 14-6-2008 by ozmanusa]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
WHUUUUU??? Intelgurl, you had an opportunity to ride in an Osprey and didn't?? That'll be 25 ATS DEMERITS to you, ma'am.

Think about it - even if you went down in a fireball - what a way to go out! In a Humvee, you could have been IED'd - BOOO.

[edit on 18-6-2008 by HatTrick]

new topics

top topics

join