It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spices, Textiles, Oil, ____?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   
These are what made the world turn so to speak. I have been fascinated with the way our "known" world has been driven in the past and have recently thought what could be the economical force in the future?

Spices are largely responsible for the exploration and discoveries of our Earth. They were sought after by just about every important and rich person in civilization. So expensive and rare only a few had the chance to actually use them. A common spice like Pepper, which we overlook and take for granted, was once the most expensive commodity on our planet. Now it would be a joke if you didn't have a shaker full.

Textiles were the next driving force behind civilization, with many monarchy's sending vast colonies across the globe to hunt. Without Europe's need for rare fur's and luxurious materials, Canada would not exist as it is today, and for that matter neither would the U.S. If it were not for a limited amount of animals, and styles of dress changing, everyone of you would probably own a beaver pelt hat.

After the world had pretty much been conquered production of these rare items went up, and rightly so, costs went down. This could only continue until some source of energy could provide the means to continue this trend. In comes Oil. Now Oil had been around throught the previous world "turners" but it was mainly from Wale blubber and used as a source of keeping a flame lit.

Oil production as we know it today provided the stepping stones to modern life. This World changing substance provided the entire population the ability to now own what had previously been unreachable. Costs of products went down because such things like crossing oceans became only a matter of days, as opposed to months. What used to take 500 men, and horses, could now be accomplished by 10.

So that brings us to today, we are at a point in time that is in-between the next major step. We are in a time frame similar to the transition from Spices to textiles, and textiles to oil. What comes next? Obviously if any of us knew for certain they wouldn't be on here reading this, they would be on the forefront, ready to make an empire for themselves. But lets think about it, and discuss what could potentially be our next level!!

Let me hear your thoughts!

(I'd like to note electricity has been paired with oil)

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I think the biggest driving factor for "exploration" (read: exploitation; expropriation) is cheap labour. Wars are still started to create and use cheap labour markets.

Anyways, I think the next great commoditiy we fight over will be fresh/drinkable water.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by InSpiteOf

You are absolutely right and it will be the biggest fraud ever perpetrated on mankind.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Water, no doubt. To be more precise for water springs.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I think whats more disturbing is the huge class divide that will be seen when this water scarsity comes about. The middle and poor classes (if a middle exists) will be rationed to the bare minimum while working the processors and agriculture base, and the upper echelons will be the administrators enjoying almost unfettered consumption.

And of course, as water supplies dwindle, so does arrid and livible land, forcing more people into shanty towns, hovels, and general poverity.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Vojvoda

Well water springs are definately a good thing, general water use does not ammount to just drinking.

Water is used for cooking, cleaning, sanitation/revmoval of human waste, etc.

Thats why when I hear that such and such a country has strategically bombed the water supply of a country, i believe its an act of baterialogical warfare, and as such, the aggresor country (read: leaders) should be held for war crimes.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Definitely not the direction I wanted the thread to go in, Water will always be available to us, it falls from the skies, its underground in wells, its in our lakes, its even in sea water if you simply boil it. Worrying about a water shortage is nonsense.

I was talking about something that would promote human growth both economically, but view things not so focused on our current high on oil as an ever increasing commodity. take us to the next generation so to speak.

I hope you haven't ruined my thread, but with only 5 reply's, I'm afraid you have.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Im going to reply to this post out of order.

I hope you haven't ruined my thread, but with only 5 reply's, I'm afraid you have.

No, we didnt ruin it, this topic has been addressed a number of times and people get sick of repeating themselves. Frankly, Ive addressed this issue a couple of times and figured Id throw my .02 in to give this thread a hand. Had I known you wanted a specific answer, I wouldnt have bothered.

Originally posted by acura_el2000
Definitely not the direction I wanted the thread to go in, Water will always be available to us, it falls from the skies, its underground in wells, its in our lakes, its even in sea water if you simply boil it. Worrying about a water shortage is nonsense.

Water will always be available to us, yes, but drinkable water? No, afraid not. Boiling water does not remove heavy metals or neurotoxins, it only removes bacteria, besides, not everyone has access to the sea or ocean. Those that survive off water coming from, say the great lakes, dont have much of a choice when it comes to what source to drink from. And with the heavy metals being dumped into that supply, it certainly limits what you can drink.

As for ground supplies, they are just as easily contaminated by say, agriculture runoff and industrial runoff. You mean to tell me, that instead of supporting a monoploy control over the water industry, the market is going to be flooded with cheap effective purifying systems? Again, im afraid not.

Falling from the sky? Dont forget, it has to be picked up from the ground first. Whatever contaminants are in the water on the ground ultimately fall from the sky.

I was talking about something that would promote human growth both economically, but view things not so focused on our current high on oil as an ever increasing commodity. take us to the next generation so to speak.

Considering all the items you listed have a deep history of exploitation attached to them, why would we think that the next largescale commodity would be any different?

new topics

top topics

join