It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debunking 101 ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I'd like to learn how to become an expert debunker. Will you teach me how to:

A. Debunk photographs/videos.

What image-manipulation techniques do you use? What things do you look for? Are there tell-tale signs that immediately tip you off?

B. Debunking testimonies/stories/accounts

What are some ways to tell if someone is spinning a yarn? Are there narrative patterns you look for? What questions can you ask to trip them up and force them to backpeddle etc?

C. Debunking groups/cults

How can you tell when a group of people is starting to believe their own rubbish to the point that you can't tell if they're lying?

Please share any other tips/tricks unrelated to my request.

Thanks,

Derek

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I would like to learn how to debunk posts like the one above mine.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerekFalken
I'd like to learn how to become an expert debunker. Will you teach me how to:

A. Debunk photographs/videos.

What image-manipulation techniques do you use? What things do you look for? Are there tell-tale signs that immediately tip you off?

If the photo looks too good, it means it's fake. If it's blurry and unrecognizable, it's REAL!

B. Debunking testimonies/stories/accounts

What are some ways to tell if someone is spinning a yarn? Are there narrative patterns you look for? What questions can you ask to trip them up and force them to backpeddle etc?

The more details they go into, the greater possibility is that they're full of sh*t. The more interesting story is, with characters, mentioning federations, planets, spaceship ride etc., the higher probability it's nothing but a good sci fi story.

C. Debunking groups/cults

How can you tell when a group of people is starting to believe their own rubbish to the point that you can't tell if they're lying?

That's easy. Just look at major religions: christianity, islam, judaism.
They're all wrong yet they believe they're right.

new topics

join