It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most expensive food in your fridge/pantry...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Thought I'd start a thread about the most expensive food you have in the fridge/pantry .... ever. (just to make it interesting)

I decided to write about it because as my wife left early this morning, I couldn't be bothered to make myself any breakfast, so I went to the pantry and got out a stick of Beef Jerky. High protein breakfast, takes about 1/2 an hour to eat, and quite expensive compared to the other food we have.

The price here at our local grocery store, is AU$53 a kilo, at another shop its AU$60 a kilo.

My wife surprised me in the shopping last friday - bought me half a kilo of it - only 10 sticks of Beef Jerky, but its well worth it

So what is/was your most expensive food in your fridge/pantry.

Thx

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
hmmm

i like to buy real vanilla beans, they can be expensive, and i favour organic fair trade chocolate, cocoa, etc., which can also be pricey but the flavour of these products more than justifies the cost.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Oh, good one. Setting aside booze, it'd be the saffron and likely the Najjar Blue Label coffee... the extra extra virgin Danforth Avenue no label olive oil maybe. Missus' says it's the raw cashews. The young lady says it's the Corn Flakes or the SmartFood Popcorn.

Vic

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Dried squid....

I don't know where it came from. I didn't buy it. I'm not gonna eat it either.

The price tag says $13.56 for 8oz so I can't afford to throw it out or feed it to the cats. I can't even read the label. I think it's Viet Namese but I'm not sure.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Not technically food but...

Whiskey.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Good timing with this one...

Lunar New Year is just around the corner so we have all sort of weird quite possibly endangered animals in the fridge!

Abalone, is very expensive, but the wife loves sea food so I had to shell out for some (boom boom!)

I think that is the most expensive one, but there are some yummy Chinese sausages that weren't cheap and various other dried goods.

They will all be going in the hot pot!!

MonKey

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a west aussie cooked lobster, $19 ea.

and its all MINE coz the missus doesnt eat seafood.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
For food, we have two unopened, dried seaweeds for making sushi in the pantry.

For drink, we have one bottle of chardonnay and one bottle of cabaret sauvignon in the pantry, too.

Everything else is either stored in a can, fresh in the fridge or dried spices, flavorings and condiments.

[edit on 2008-1-28 by pikypiky]

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
My mrs's brother used to run a posh deli in Bordeaux. When he closed it to run a restaurant last year, he sent us a few jars of foie gras with black truffle slices in. the price tags were still on and it was 100 euros for 180 grammes. I think there's still one jar left (or at least I hope there is!!)

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Giant Alaskan King crab.

Those are 30 bucks for a couple legs and a claw, $150 bucks/4 lb.

Good, though.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I have a bottle of aged balsamic that cost me $120 for and it is only four ounces. This is one of the best tasting condiments you can purchase it is phenomenal on steak or lamb and even tastes great on strawberries. I also have a bit of my white truffle left, it's now being stored in very good olive oil.

new topics

top topics

join