It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The speed of Darkness

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
Darkness is the same speed as nothingness which just happens to be the same speed as silence, which is equal to the speed of void that just happens to also be the speed of the thought processes of all the candidates running for president this year.

I only have one thing to add to those words of wisdom:

If the universe is curved and we develop a telescope that can see to infinity; would you be looking at yourself?

If the universe is not infinite; whats on the other side?

Where did matter come from?

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyte Angel

Light is generated by a light source. Darkness is the absence of light. Why do you keep asking the same question over and over again? You get the answer, yet you ignore it and re ask the question.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

Why do you keep giving back the same answer over and over again? Is there really only one possible answer to my thread?

[edit on 29-1-2008 by Nyte Angel]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Nobody seeing me on this deceleration of light being darkness thing huh?

I see darkness as a place which captures light... either through the shape of its surface or its intrinsic mass.

That capturing process has to involve some form of deceleration either as the light becomes heat (black colored object) or the light becomes mass (black hole).

There was recently a nano-surface that was a series of nano skyscrapers in grid fashion that managed to trap (decelerate) light and create heat.

Sri Oracle

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sri Oracle
There was recently a nano-surface that was a series of nano skyscrapers in grid fashion that managed to trap (decelerate) light and create heat.

This is what caught my eye about your post, do you by any chance have a primary source of information on this? I'd like to learn more about it.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
If the universe is curved and we develop a telescope that can see to infinity; would you be looking at yourself?

If you are standing on the event horizon of a black hole (the point at which light orbits a black hole rather than passing it by or falling into its vortex) then the universe would be curved and you would see the back of your head through the telescope.

I am,

Sri Oracle

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nyte Angel
This is what caught my eye about your post, do you by any chance have a primary source of information on this? I'd like to learn more about it.

google "darkest surface ever" "darkest material ever" etc.

Sri Oracle

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   

From a scientific point of view? Yes. From a personal, no facts based my opinion point of view? It's endless.
You are getting the right answer. And ignoring it. what answer do you want then?

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Scientific answer all the way. I don't want to hear the same thing over and over again, I want knew theories. New possibilities. Anything to further along our finding of a Scientific answer.

One more thing, what makes you think thats the right answer? Look at your Signature for example, I don't want just one answer repeated over and over, I want a series of answers that will eventually feel like the most significant one to myself.

[edit on 28-1-2008 by Nyte Angel]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   

This as already been found. we've been telling you. Over and over again.
en.wikipedia.org...
First sentence: Darkness is the absence of light.
Next sentence: Scientifically speaking is only possible to have a reduced amount of light.
Both have been said.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nyte Angel
Scientific answer all the way. I don't want to hear the same thing over and over again, I want knew theories. New possibilities. Anything to further along our finding of a Scientific answer.

One more thing, what makes you think thats the right answer?

[edit on 28-1-2008 by Nyte Angel]

LOL there is no other answer. I'm not sure now if you are really serious?

See this and the answer might start to make sense...

Optics For Kids

The net is such a great learning tool...

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   

That doesn't necessarily mean it still isn't going to have a speed does it? Like it has to have at least a speed at which it leaves.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   

SO how fast is it pushed away? By the same speed it is being pushed. How fast is it being pushed? The speed of light.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I think since darkness is the amount of light that there isn't, that would make it unmeasurable. So it would be like measuring 0. Instead, you measure how much light there is. But if you were to say your measuring darkness' speed, it would be the speed in which the light recedes...which has been said oh so many times.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by azblack

The speed of light IS measurable. If one multiplies the permittivity of free space and the permeability of free space, the result is 1/c^2. Both of these constants are easily measurable by using common laboratory equipment.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Darkness is just a lack of light surely?? Otherwise wouldn't you be able to make a darkness torch, which you could use to remove the light in a well lit room?

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Professor Dumbledore had a lighter that did that in the Harry Potter books.

However, fantasy writings are the only place you'll find darkness referred to as any type of force, wave, or object which can be measured in any way.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by leira7
Stop thinking in dichotomies and antagonistic dualities--- that is so 3rd dimension!!
Not all apples are red and sweet.
To our eyes, light is easy to see and record so we base things on it and make it responsible for the existence of everything that stimulates our senses. We know nothing about darkness because we can't see it and therefor we do not consider it to have much of any affect on our existence. But that doesn't mean that it isn't there. Lightness and darkness operate differently they are not mutually exclusive and are infact related, they represent energy.

Green apples do exist you know

actually you can prove that darkness isn't a quantity, just turn of the lights. The universal (as far as we know) reaction to there being no light is for there to be darkness. In fact, black is defined as the absent of all color aka light. we can see darkness, else we wouldn't be able to see the background of this site. Or, if you don't agree that we see it, then you have to agree that we perceive it.

For darkness to be a quantity it would have to be something entirely new because it isn't represented anywhere on the electromagnetic spectrum. You're speaking of darkness the same way you'd speak of a glass being empty. Is empty some kind of wave or matter? Nope.

btw, dark matter and darkness aren't the same thing (just in case that comes up)

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Darkness doesn't move it is still there with the light it is just that you can not see it because the light is brighter.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Ungh, why is this even being asked?

Darkness doesn't exist, it's simply a lack of light.

You might as well create a new element called "Not Hydrogen" to denote the properties of where Hydrogen isn't... you'll have to go through the entire wave spectrum, periodic table of elements, and theory and create equations where EVERY SINGLE VARIABLE IS ZERO.

"Hey, what's the speed of that?"
"What, my car?"
"No, that"
"All I see is my car"
"No no no, I want to know the speed of not-your-car"
"....?"

It's so far from sanity, it hurts!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join