It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The speed of Darkness

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Another question came along with the speed of silence one, the speed of darkness:

Whats the speed of darkness?

I really wonder about this and have searched the net and gotten only theories. Well out of everyone, ATS is by far the best theorists around.

Thoughts?

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Seriously Terry Pratchett goes into this in one of his books.
Haha just saw this one after i replied in your other thread.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
My two cents

Speed of darkness=infinite

I don't know or have a clue, so don't take my word.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Monsterenergy791

infinite? Thats not possible, there has to be a speed at which it consumes any amount of light. Again maybe it could be overlapping the light and just creating a darkness over the light, which then in turn goes back to at which the speed it happens at.

thoughts

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
There is no darkness, only lack of light. So therefore darkness has no speed...

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
The speed of darkness is the same as the speed of light. Consider that when the light from the sun shines over the horizon, somewhere else on earth it is retracting. Since the sun isn't creating darkness, it is just moving it, the speed of darkness and light are equal.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyte Angel

For this question of yours, you just have to think of the other thread you stared, the one about The Speed of Silence.

Darkness is an absence of light as silence is to an absence of sound.
Darkness and silence IMO have no specific speed, because both are not mass or energy, both are an absence of something so it can't have a rate speed.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Hexidecimal

Darkness has no form, therefore it can have no speed. Light is a wave and darkness is just a lack of that wave, empty space without light waves. Dark is not the physical opposite of light.

We see things when light reflects off of them, no light to reflect then you don't see anything, thus darkness.

[edit on 27/1/2008 by ANOK]

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyte Angel

the speed of light is not measurable however it is the speed of light in reverse. it happens as fast as the light leaves the area, close to 300,000,000

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

You turn a light off in a room, and darkness overcomes it. The speed of which light replaces darkness, and which darkness replaces light is equal.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by azblack

300,000,000 what?

Can you give me a unit of measurement and are you saying you think darkness is as fast as light?

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hexidecimal
reply to post by ANOK

You turn a light off in a room, and darkness overcomes it. The speed of which light replaces darkness, and which darkness replaces light is equal.

No, when you turn out the light you have no light to reflect off of objects so you can't see. Yes it's instant but the light isn't being replaced by anything that isn't already there. Turn off the light and you just extinguish light. Darkness has no form to move anywhere, it's the state of being unable to see cause your eyes and brain needs light to be able to see things.

Go look it up, you don't have to believe me...LOL

Come back and let us know what you discover there mate...

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Well it can just appear the very instant that the light depletes, there just has to be a rate of speed at which darkness travels.

IMO I think thats its probably to abnormally fast that it is impossible for us to calculate its speed at the moment.

thoughts?

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

I see what you mean now. No speed of darkness, only the speed at which light can dissipate. Which is still equal.

[edit on (1/27/0808 by Hexidecimal]

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
You know what I'll help ya out...

The wavelengths of the light we can see range from 400 to 700 billionths of a meter. But the full range of wavelengths included in the definition of electromagnetic radiation extends from one billionth of a meter, as in gamma rays, to centimeters and meters, as in radio waves. Light is one small part of the spectrum.

How Stuff Works

There are no 'darkwaves'...

Kyla, do you remember how the wavelength of the electromagnetic wave became shorter when the charge was vibrating faster?

Right, but the wave seemed to move with the same speed whether the vibration was fast or slow. Only the wavelength changed when the oscillations became faster.

Yes, all electromagnetic radiation -- from radio waves to x-rays -- travel at the speed of light. In empty space this speed is approximately 300,000 kilometers per second!

Science Trek

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

So then the speed of darkness is nothing but a myth lol? I just cant get it through to my head that something can go the instant something stops.

I really don't know how to word this, but I might be able to.

The light can disappear yes, but isn't it impossible for it just just be there as soon as the light depletes?

Never ending circle much

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hexidecimal
reply to post by ANOK

I see what you mean now. No speed of darkness, only the speed at which light can dissipate. Which is still equal.

[edit on (1/27/0808 by Hexidecimal]

Yes it's equal but as I've said darkness is not a physical thing, light is.
Darkness is just what happens when your brain can't see light. The darkness doesn't replace the light, it's just that your brain can't register objects when there is no light reflecting from them. We don't see darkness, we 're just not seeing light. Hope that makes sense...

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nyte Angel
reply to post by ANOK

Never ending circle much

I don't see how this is such a brain teaser lol

It's just basic optics...

Don't they teach physics in school anymore?

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Yeah, made sense. I was just saying that the speed of light is the same as the speed of light retracting.

I always like a little science lesson.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
What if darkness never moves and light only moves???

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join