It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gordon Brown to compel jobless to learn skills

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Gordon Brown to compel jobless to learn skills

uk.reuters.com

LONDON (Reuters) - Prime Minister Gordon Brown will set out plans on Monday for far-reaching welfare reform, forcing the jobless to learn skills and enlisting the private sector to help the long-term unemployed find work.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.tiscali.co.uk
www.guardian.co.uk

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Well, if it works, maybe he can show the U.S. how to implement a similar plan. I remember hearing my husband's uncles talk about apprenticeship programs for electricians in the IBEW in the 70's but there are fewer and fewer apprentice jobs available.

We introduced an apprentice type program in the film industry to help people "get a foot in the door," and I have to say it's working out rather well. They don't all stay as it's not what they imagined but at least a new generation is being trained and those who are inquisitive get a taste of what it's like.

uk.reuters.com

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Why should the jobless learn a skill? It's way easier just to sit around and collect the relief from the state.

A good step in the right direction would be to limit how long you can get welfare. Didn't Clinton have some sort of five year program he wanted to start?

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
Why should the jobless learn a

Exactly.

We need to revamp the whole concept of Welfare.

I support welfare. my wife whos family was a refuge were on welfare for a year and a half when they first came to the US. The whole family saved and scrimped and were able to get of of the government dole and eventually purchase a home send my wife to collage etc. (The basic american dream)

What I do not support is this generational welfare we seemed to be caught in.

We as a nation need to embrace the concept of workfare. Yes we will help but you have to work for it. Kind of like a community WPA to help rebuild the infrastructure.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jacks56

Well, if it works, maybe he can show the U.S. how to implement a similar plan.

uk.reuters.com

I think you will find that the US is Browns inspiration for this proposal. There have been a number of TV reports over the last few months, about the role of private companies running back to work schemes in the US.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
In the short term this will cost the UK taxpayer more and being a UK taxpayer, for once, I agree with the Prime Minister and I hope he kicks butt with the relevent departments to get this going.

Once we get over the inital financial hit, some of these jobless will get jobs off the back of their newly learnt skills and will then start to add to the coffers.

And if other getting training, people still can not be bothered to get or stick with a job, we should switch off benefits. I firmly believe there is a contract between the people and the Government, they have their bit to do and so do we, if we can the benefits of social security.

new topics

top topics

join