It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus screaming for (step)father Joseph on cross - not Heavenly Father??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
First of all, i don't mean any disrespect to Christians, but this post is from a differing angle rather than the mainstream that Jesus was God/Son of God - but more so a normal living person that walked the earth 2000 or so years ago.

I was recently listening to a song by System of the Down called Chop Suey.. listening to the words, not realising that one verse was a quote of Jesus supposedly saying whilst on the cross, but more so of just a guy who wanted love from his father.

Father into your hands, I commend my spirit,
Father, into your hands,
Why have you forsaken me,
In your eyes forsaken me,
In your thoughts forsaken me,
In your heart forsaken, me oh!

Now recalling that it was of Jesus, I began to be more inclined to think he was referring to his stepfather Joseph, and not the heavenly father many people think. If I recall wasn't Joseph pretty upset at first hearing Mary was bearing child? And where was Joseph during his crucifixion. I'd be wanting my family there too if I was being put to death. Jesus being a loving figure - like many children these days, hunger for the love of their parents, probably had a psychological effect on him.

Anyway, just a thought

Thx

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
No, he called to his heavenly Father, just like every christian does.
You are onto something about Joseph, though.
I mean after Mary had his brothers and sisters, Joseph is not mentioned much, that I know of.
Not after Jesus was 12 teaching in the temple.
Did Joseph die, leaving Mary a widow?
Did he dessert the family, leaving Jesus to a 'bastard' existence? (except that Jesus had God with him always.)

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Im a Marty

No, I don't think so. Isn't the famous saying "Eli, Eli, lama sabachtani"?

Eli doesn't translate into 'Father'.

The two of the seven sayings that mention 'father' are "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do" and "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit".

Neither of these could conceivably apply to Joseph (Joseph forgive who? How can Jesus's spirit be commended into Joseph's hand?).

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
(Joseph forgive who? How can Jesus's spirit be commended into Joseph's hand?).

Spirit isn't your soul, but heart. His heart was in his fathers hands.

Body, soul and spirit are three seperate things, but one.

The trinity.

When people dial God's phone number they point to these areas, the father(soul), Son(spirit) and Holy Spirit(actions).

Our soul is in our head, spirit comes from our heart and actions from the body.

[edit on 28-1-2008 by Shawn B.]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
In discussing Christianity and any Bible verse, it is always useful to have Strong's Concordance at hand since none of the original chapters were written in English (and were written in a variety of dialects, both Hebrew and Greek. ) Word meanings have changed over time, so one looks at the original to see how the word was derived. Most Christians aren't aware of it, so it's helpful for non-Christians to be certain they have the correct interpretation in discussing any verse or chapter.

The one I use most often is www.blueletterbible.org

We see that "why hast thou forsaken me" only shows up in Matthew and Mark -- and echoes the opening words of David's lament in Psalm 22. Looking at the base words shows that "father" is actually a retranslation of a word referring to a deity ("theos"). You can check for verses involving paternal parents to see what the Greek word for father is.

top topics

join