It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The black box economy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   
This seems to be a recurring theme. The Fed was created in 1913 to smooth out the economy then in 1929 we had the great depression. I also can't help but think they were invovled in 2000. Billions of dollars were going into the market from retirement funds and such. People selling there rapidly failing stocks created an opportunity for those in the know to profit. Put options would be easy money if you knew what was going on. Us having any power is just a mirage, it just seems to be a little more obvious now. Once agian they are always a step ahead.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Here's another article about the same location in Ontario, CA.. I'd same it's real.
But from looking around the net, there are many more. . .

Here's a similar situation in Miami called Umoja.

Here's another in San Diego for undocumented workers.

Here's one that is a residual of hurricane Katrina in Mississippi.

Here's a story of one on the move in Seattle.

Some in Fresno, CA. & St. Petersburg, FL..

Carson City, NV..

Tampa, FL..

These are considered "cities", which is only a scratch on the surface of the problem. Everywhere you look you can find the homeless.

It makes me feel very lucky that I have been able to keep a roof over my family's head & food in their mouths. . .

2PacSade-

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by 2PacSade

Thanks for the links 2pac. It is mind numbing at the statics given out in the article. I guess we will be seeing more and more tent cities as time goes on. I just hope I do not have to resort to that.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

You really want to know why the economy is flushing down the toilet. The controlling factor is OIL. Bush and his buddies have driven up the prices. All OIL companies are making Record PROFITS, not just Record $$$, record profits. But with them making all that money. It is now more expensive to transfer goods, which drives up the price of everything you buy. Think about it, everything you buy doesn't just appear there its flown, shipped, trained, or trucked in. Until we find a way to drive the OIL prices down or use cheaper ways to get products to were they are needed cheeper than right now we don't have a chance. The economy is a "Circle of Life" where the balance must be maintained to keep it from crashing. The current economy has ended the old class system of: 1.Super Rich 2. Rich 3. Middle Class 4. Poor 5. Hobo's and erased the Middle Class who are now a part of the Poor class.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Anytime I see an article or post referencing the economy I automatically assume it will be filled funds, stocks, credit and other things. Until these articles start addressing the root cause of our economic problems, fiat currency, then we have no way of avoiding an economic disaster. When your currency is worthless and grows moreso with more money flooding the market thru lower interest rates and lax credit regulations, we will remained doomed. Piss poor monetary policy is what will be our undoing and all the other talk is designed to mask that.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by BennyHill

That is a point I agree with and have stated before. You cannot throw a 100-150 billiob dollar rebate into the economy and expect things to straighten out. It just doesn't make sense. More money (that is worthless) = more problems. That is an old saying that still and always will remain true.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their money, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them (around the banks), will deprive the people of their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson and Ron Paul have essentially said the same thing. Ron Paul is right on, in his cure for the economy. The Fed must be eliminated.

One current example- the housing bubble-
The MMPress would have you believe that the current crisis is due to mortgage defaults. That is true. But what REALLY caused the situation- greedy people? Yes, but not the home buyers. What caused the eventual defaults was a concerted effort by Greenspan to lower interest rates to the point where anybody would be tempted to extend their credit beyond what traditionally would be acceptable. They did this in conjunction with the MMP putting out reports stating the economy was booming, and no end was in sight. Greenspan knew what he was doing- sucker everyone in over their head, then pull the rug out from under them, that is raise interest rates quickly, which he did, creating the panic, which did ensue. Now that new housing is down 26% in one year, resales are drastically down, as well as obviously prices, GUESS WHO now can go in and buy these homes for a song. Greenspan, his buddies and the banks....

Yes, your premise is correct.
Ron Paul is correct. Eliminate the FED.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vojvoda
Golden standard is dead from 1971 [or was it 1973]. US $ is backed by oil [petrodollar].

The US dollar is based on debt, as is most of the global economy, not oil.

I suggest you visit the following thread and watch the video to understand more clearly:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Just a bit of a sidenote here about homelessness...

I have been homeless for several months now, but usually get to sleep on the hallway of a basement floor.

I also borrow computer access to post here.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox

Originally posted by Vojvoda
Golden standard is dead from 1971 [or was it 1973]. US $ is backed by oil [petrodollar].

The US dollar is based on debt, as is most of the global economy, not oil.

I suggest you visit the following thread and watch the video to understand more clearly:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I talk about this: en.wikipedia.org...

There is a flaw in article:

Whether a falling dollar would actually hurt the American economy is disputed. A weaker dollar would lead to increased U.S. exports and decreased imports, which would decrease the U.S. trade deficit and benefit American manufacturers.

And reality is different:
US trade deficit widens sharply

Peace.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
perhaps overconsumption has something to do with it too? funny no one has suggested that a life in the pursuit of material wealth has led us down this path... we've all made money at one time in our lives... even when not working money appears, be it in small amounts... the question is, if all the money we spent on needless materialism suddenly appeared before us, would we be rich? i know i would be... all the music i've bought or books... thousands of dollars of the years... perhaps even tens of thousands... we don't notice it because it dribbles from our hands but if we just stopped buying things we didn't really need... what then? perhaps this is why people don't rise up and take control? too many celine dion CD's? or people magazines.... there seems to be happiness in someone's house becuase of them... it is yours?

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Very interesting find. What I'm wondering now is if we can point the finger at the world's banking system for all of the financial woes of today? I don't mean to be looking for a scapegoat, but it does look kind of bad for those that effectively made this happen.

Starred and Flagged from me. GREAT FIND!!

TheBorg

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

II went to a tent city in my area recently to drop off some food and sodas (not much, but I thought they would enjoy it and I think I enjoyed it more than they did
), and the cars I saw belonged to reporters, one social worker, and looked like another person dropping off supplies. The rest of the cars weren't worth very much so not sure if they were the tent city folks' cars, or the neighbors...but given sub freezing temperatures and no place to live with no cash in the wallet, the point is kind of mute isn't it?

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBorg

Oh yes, it looks very bad. It almost make you think this was done on purpose by the elite to ensure their own survival for a coming disaster or similar event. If you look deep enough, I am sure you can link it all together.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by never_tell

Overcsonsumption certainly has something to do with it. But who do you blame for that? The psychological forces at work which drive people to the malls every weekend are relentless. The more "stuff" you have, the better American you are. Without stuff, you become outcast and find that you suddenly can't even get the stuff that you really do need.

I have been forced to break from the consumer mentality. The view from outside is enlightening, but very cold in the New York winter.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

who do you blame? no one but ourselves really... we can blame the media or large corporations or our neighbours "the jones'"... but ultimately its our own lack of confidence that drives us to define our success by the size our cars... its not easy to stand outside the box, but in a day and age where we ship barges full of garbage to developing worlds to dump and sift through it should be getting as much attention as SUV's! until people begin to really redefine their lives nothing will change... I mean even here at ATS where the "intellectual" community posts and comments, I'd suggest few have really changed their lives or habits dispite all the rhetoric about the doomed planet... we can all make a change and collectively have quite an impact... imagine if everyone stopped buying Mattel toys, for example... that company would go out of business... a little less oil being gobbled up.. a littleless child labour being exploited... a little less gender imprinting... a little less mindless activity... of course, none of it will make difference if we buy someone elses toy instead... its about changing habits... interesting to see how no one else commented upon my suggestion... wonder why...

BTW, Sorry to hear about your homelessness, especially if you're dealing with winter... without getting too personal, are you finding it hard to get work or is the money you make not enough to cover your "lifestyle"? Don't feel you have to answer...

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by never_tell
perhaps overconsumption has something to do with it too?

More like the something-for-nothing attitude, and living beyond one's means. The religion of debt.

funny no one has suggested that a life in the pursuit of material wealth has led us down this path...

Maybe it has, but people have the right to live that way if they choose.
Material wealth is just a tool, a means to an end, not an end in itself.

The kind of people society labels as "selfish" really aren't that way at all. They are selfless, living their lives as slaves to consumerism, having their brains wired to Hollywood and Madison Avenue. Other types of slaves are wired to Jesus, or to Allah, or to Marx-Lenin-Stalin. A truly selfish person lives for himself, how he wants, where he wants, and is usually smart and sensitive enough to avoid trampling on the rights of others.

buying things we didn't really need...

Who decides what we really need? Ourselves. Sometimes we decide wrong. We have that right, the right to be wrong.

what then? perhaps this is why people don't rise up and take control?

Stupidity too.

too many celine dion CD's? or people magazines.... there seems to be happiness in someone's house becuase of them... it is yours?

It all boils down to who's the master ... the person, or the Celine Dion CDs? Who uses, and who are what is being used?

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by IAmTetsuo

funny no one has suggested that a life in the pursuit of material wealth has led us down this path...

response:
Maybe it has, but people have the right to live that way if they choose.

do they? we can't buy weapons of mass destruction... we can't even buy a copy of Mein Kampf... so clearly there are cultural guidelines in place... and yes, people are hard wired to hollywood like some are to jesus... "gods" worship is everywhere.... too bad we don't consider the Gaia to be godlike too? i'd suggest that if Iran suddenly created a toy that swept the world and created such an outpouring of cash offshore, the american governemnt would have something to say... geez, its still a crime for a yank to own a cuban cigar!! how ridiculous is that?

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Sometimes it does seem that the 'system' has been carefully, and intentionally crafted to exploit the human-spirit at it's weakest links

I really enjoy and appreciate your contributions JITB. Thought I would mention...I was released from the military at the end 1967...I hit the civilian bricks with attitude & an addiction issue. By '74', at the age of 28, I was homeless on the streets of So Cal.

Just a reminder...fortune can turn on a dime...as I'm sure yours will. In the interim, I hope you can savor the view from the cheap-seats while you have the opportunity...enlightening.

GLTY

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I just can't believe the education level of some people who post on here attempting to sound like professors of economics.

I really want to respond to a post like this, but I just feel it would into a pi$$ing match.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join