The Discovery Channel show MythBusters has issued a viewer challenge to find more "myths" for them to prove or bust and I think that the events of
September 11, 2001 provides ample untouched material for them. A few "myths" that immediatley popped into my mind:
* 99% of the concrete in a "collapsing" building will turn into micro-fine dust and blow away.
*Square tubular steel columns measuring 18" x 18" in cross-section with a wall thickness of 3/4" will not only heat up to over 1,000 degrees f in
the type of fires and timeframe witnessed on Black Tuesday thus turning them into spaghetti and simultaneusly failing, but that they can do so without
even breaking glass windows attached to them.
* An airliner can slice cleanly through a couple dozen of these 18" external columns without decelerating, and disappear leaving not a speck of
debris or fuel etc. on the outside of this intense grid of columns.
* A person can withstand the afore mentioned conditions and lean against a massive steel column at these temperatures
*An airliner smashing into a stone clad building will cause the wings to not lurch forward as physics dictates , but instead will fold backwards
against the fuselage - thereby allowing the entire airplane to fit through a hole barely large enough for the cylindrical fuselage to fit in.
* An amatuer pilot barely capable of flying a single engine plane can succesfully execute the maneuvers said to have been performed that day
* Fuel from an aircraft can form a fireball and blow inwards elevator doors forcing itself into an elevator shaft without blowing out windows in the
building only a couple dozen feet from the shaft and then travel down dozens of floors somehow getting past "plugs" in these elevator shafts called
"elevators" and then somehow exit the shaft in the sky lobby and re-enter the shaft below without breaking any windows in the sky lobby or any
damage to the doors and not being noticed by anyone in the skylobby, continue downward for dozens of floors again getting past yet another
"elevator" plugging the shaft, and then blow outward heavy steel utility elevator doors after reaching the basement 800 feet away after having gone
past dozens of weaker doors above without damaging them.
You get the idea, there are dozens of things I can think of to submit and I am certain this community has lots more. I urge everyone here on both
sides of this "debate" to submit one or two well defined items to their site for Adam, Jamie, Kari, Grant and Tori to Bust or Prove.
The MythBuster Viewer Challenge link is here:
Please be civil and happy MythBusting!