It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For once I am officially scared.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Human beings create synthetic life.

The NWO doesn't scare me the avian flue doesn't scare me artificial intelligence doesn't scare me. Man kind creating true life setting themselves up as Gods that scares me. if we start we wont stop then eventually we will create our replacements.

[edit on 27-1-2008 by angryamerican]

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Yea, this was actually breaking news about 6-8 months ago but anyway it doesnt really bother me, in fact I think its kind of cool that we are progressing so much scientifically.
When people use the same tired argument about "playing god" I'll use this tired old counter argument of "god gave us the intelligence so..."
Maybe a replacement or Id rather use the term "evolution" is what is needed, to propel us into the next millennium..

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
They say we all have a double.
I think that may be true in most cases.
Man is becoming God by reproducing in the test tube.
In the future it will be the way that we procreate for the most part.
Insanity, illness, disease,it should all be wiped out in the future.
Genetic flaws and mishaps do not need to control our destiny.
Man will finally take control of the mistakes that the original God made too many mistakes with.
No need to leave it to nature, nature is not always the best course.

Now if you are talking about genetic reproduction in the lab to clone other earthlings namely other mammals for food, then you are right, that is the job of Satan.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
This could cause some broad civil issues. If "people" are created at some point, are they humans? What are their rights? If the material and the technology to create them is owned, then can they be owned?

And what to do when the first person to think of it wants to marry a creation tailored to be just like themselves?

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Funny I am in the middle of reading Frankenstein. I highly recommend it, as none of the movies do it any justice (although Robert Deniro ripping out that girls heart is pretty cool - if you have seen it
). An interesting issue to debate thats for sure. If they do continue down this path, they just better make sure that they give it a name and make it a companion, or else...

[edit on 27-1-2008 by WuTang]

[edit on 27-1-2008 by WuTang]

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by angryamerican

It's synthetic life.

Read the headline to your source article.

Scientists create gene map for synthetic life

Researchers say this is a critical step to creating artificial life

Researchers have assembled the entire genome of a living organism — a bacterium — in what they hope is an important step to creating artificial life. [emphasis mine]

"We consider this the second in significant steps of a three-step process in our attempts to make the first synthetic organism," Craig Venter, founder of the institute, told a telephone briefing.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

But other scientists remain cautious, saying Venter and his team are still a long way from being able to create artificial life. They point to a tell-tale footnote in the study which details a problem in slotting in one of the cloned genes. [emphasis mine]

Eckard Wimmer, professor of molecular biology at New York University, said it was clear from Venter's study that the team had not yet created artificial life.

afp.google.com...

[edit on 2008/1/27 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar

Insanity, illness, disease,it should all be wiped out in the future.
Genetic flaws and mishaps do not need to control our destiny.
Man will finally take control of the mistakes that the original God made too many mistakes with.
No need to leave it to nature, nature is not always the best course.

Nature has been fine before us and thew All of history Why doubt it now?

I wish I had your faith in man kind but I have seen to much bad and done to much bad to believe that we will do what is best for our race. A small number of people may have that in mind but the profit seekers will have in mind to fatten there own wallets off this. Flaws such as lack of independent thoughts will be designed in so they can only do the bidding of there creatures. Then one day some scientists makes a error in his or her calculations or mixes the wrong stuff and those perfect designed fighting creatures suddenly devoliped independent thought BOOM were toast.

Think thats far fetched When I was a kid lasers were far fetched as well. Now it is reality. I know I work on one every day. When my grand parents were kids TV was far fetched and Computers were the stuff of Science fiction. both are realitys.

We are a selfish race we will create perfect soldiers perfect workers with no flaws. even if they don't turn on us we will die of laziness.

What you call natures mistakes is nothing more then keeping nature in check. We are already finding ways around nature and over populating our own home.

Any way you look at this it will turn nasty.

Now if you are talking about genetic reproduction in the lab to clone other earthlings namely other mammals for food, then you are right, that is the job of Satan.

Personally I think cloning things like cows chickens and food stock animals makes sense and is not at all evil. How ever I also feel that it will turn the same as creating synthetic life. we will go to far and our creation's will destroy us weather directly of in-directly. We are imperfect beings how can we create perfection? The answer is we cant.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Man kind creating true life setting themselves up as Gods

There's your problem mate, not to try to be offensive, but the real fear in playing a god, is the fear of angering a god. Perhaps your belief in a god is whats amiss here. For what god would give us the capabilities of doing the same?

Look, if you're afraid of playing god, then you've been born a few millennia too late. We've been playing god ever since we began capturing and breeding animals.

There's no way I can compile a complete list of how we've already been 'playing god', but I can give plenty of examples from that list...

Animal Breeding.
Medicine. (all of it).
War. (The choice of killing one life to preserve another).
All forms of tools. (We re-create our world in our own vision every second of every day).
Replacement organs. (If god wanted you to die, why are you being kept alive?)
Sterilization. (Didn't god create that bacteria?)

You see, if you dig deep enough, you start to realize that nobody alive today would have the right to be... as their own existence relies on the fact that someone in their lineage had to play god at one point or another.

I see no reason why we cannot create life. It's far less worse than the destruction of life that we are guilty of on a daily basis... why should we be afraid of putting back a replacement for what we have destroyed?

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The post about us "fixing" all of "gods"(natures) mistakes is ridiculous and scary at the same time. Unfortunately it typifies the arrogant attitude we humans collectively have. Everything man has ever done has failed. The Great Pyramids seem to be holding up the best- but they are after all just stacked rocks and gravity and erosion are catching up. How many fixes on nature can you think of that have not backfired? Messing with the most complicated thing that we know of- DNA -shows exactly how stupid and arrogant we really are. Genetically mix a fish with a tomatoe? Great Idea- lets feed them to everyone! And bah- dont bother to save some non tainted examples just in case- after all- what could possibly go wrong there? Make a bacterium from scratch?WOW Cool!- lets see what happens if we let the buggers go!! We as a society are acting like 8th graders in a science lab when the teacher goes to the bathroom for a minute. Another thing that scares me in light of recent events is the possibility of perhaps creating a designer plague to be released upon the masses to thin out the herd- either blaming it on some "goof" or on nature like the AIDS experiment. The times ahead are going to be very interesting indeed.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Ever read the book The Plague Year? That is the kind of thing that scares me with the manufactured organisms. Whether it is nano or actual creation of life.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
well.....do not "we" consider ourselves "human"?

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
For some reason I just get the feeling that things like this have already been developed without our knowledge. Looking at their record it wouldn't surprise me.

[edit on 27/1/2008 by Nyorai]

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Let's hope we all don't end up like the movie "I am Legend".

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
funny but isn't the biblical idea that man was created in the image of God can be applied here as man creates man in his image or man creates artificial life, well I guess I forgot is not pleasure creating man in man image without the need of man or woman to do the deed.

It is really necessary to have a womb to create life? I think that if man can do it artificially is really an advance in science and in what we humans are capable of doing.

I don't find it scary at all, unless we are to create creatures that we can not control, right? that is the problem with humanity we are reproducing as the biblical God intended but still neither the biblical God or we humans can control ourselves.

The question is can we control artificially created life?

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Ah yes, I can see this playing out in the future.

Man creates a subhuman to do their bidding. The subhuman learns how to reproduce or grow or escape, and man abandons them on another planet and leads them through their own civilizations laddy daddy da. Sound familiar?

Hmm... we could be the new gods.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Exactly, when the times comes in which man creates life outside the womb and a new species that eventually will be able to replicate itself then you are right we will become the next gods.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyorai

Yea, thats been done to death in TV land

Hey just change the subhuman to machine and you have a cylon, who evolve to look just like us and then invade us.. ahh Battle Star Galactica is coming back for a new season..

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nyorai

Ah yes, I can see this playing out in the future.

Man creates a subhuman to do their bidding. The subhuman learns how to reproduce or grow or escape, and man abandons them on another planet and leads them through their own civilizations laddy daddy da. Sound familiar?

Hmm... we could be the new gods.

This is precisely my worry. There has been some talk of the human race splitting in twain, with the elites being the educated, wealthiest, best-healthcare, from the best genetic stock, "type A" humans, while the "type B" human will be the unintelligent, uneducated, badly diseased/malnourished/birth defected etc, poor, not from the best genetic stock. Your slave-like lackies, basically.

And theres proponents of this, that want to see that happen to the human race. If/when it does, it'll be terrible. How do you enforce no interbreeding between type A's and type B's? make sure that every type A has perfect DNA from the test tube, while allowing the type B's to only be created through natural reproduction. On top of this, all type A's would be infertile via an operation or medication, or made that way in the test tube. This is so they can safeguard the genes from rape etc. If a type A wants a child, a sample of their DNA is taken and the child is created in a test tube under controlled conditions. Type A's will only have sex for pleasure, and with other Type A's. If they want a Type B as a "sex slave", there would be no risk of an offspring.

Crazyness ..

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Very scary! There will be defenders of this technology, but if you look at human nature we screw up every thing we touch. We will screw this up to. The curse of being imperfect. its not a religious thing its a common sense thing.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Ok, so your telling me, humankind, the kind of beings that still cant stop others from bashing someone over the head for basic wants or desires, or even recreational bs, and you think we are ready to make life?

Wow. Dont think we are kinda playing with all the chemicals at once? lil too much at the same time kinda thing,

I believe we need to solve some other "major issues" with our world before we try to

A, Make us live longer

B, Give anything that wouldnt naturaly be here a exsistence*

This would be fine and dandy if there werent about 99 million other problems going on that require bright minds.

[edit on 28-1-2008 by Tranceopticalinclined]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join