It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Do You Like To Weight Train?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I was just curious to see how others on here choose to weight train.

I've been training for about five years myself. My routines typically concentrate on reps in at least the 10-12 range, sometimes going to 15. I go for the pump as opposed to lifting heavy weight for low reps.

That's what I've found my body grows the best with. For about two weeks every two months or so I'll have a few "heavy weeks" where I'll go significantly heavier and try to hit the 8-10 range, but not any less than that.

I wanted to see what others on here follow?

I currently consume around 3000-3200 calories a day right now, sometimes a big higher, but am on the verge of starting to cut up for the summer.

[edit on 27-1-2008 by The Big O]

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I'm just part-time into the weight training to keep in shape but I found that the 6-8 rep range actually works better for me. I was stuck in a rut in the 8-12 rep range. I wasn't adding any size or increasing my max. Switching to a lower rep, heavier weight range (6-8 reps) showed dramatic improvement within a month.
I probably just needed to switch things up a bit. I guess I was too used to the old routine.

Currently I'm worried about my legs more. Being taller makes it harder to do your favorite leg exercises. Do you realize how far down you have to go when you're 6'2" and doing squats? As an added bonus I strained my knee the day before Christmas....playing football with my kids. It's just now starting to feel normal. I dread doing my leg routine again, cause I know I'm not going to be able to walk for 2 days afterwards.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
Do you realize how far down you have to go when you're 6'2" and doing squats?

Yeah I do, I'm 6'3".

I try to limit my squatting. I've never injured myself, but I'm worried that too much strain on my knees will cause tendon issues.

When I do squat I tend to go light, and concentrate on getting a great pump, squeezing my quads really hard at full extension. Also, I make sure my knees don't go past my toes when I go down. To aide in this I like to put a flat bench underneath me. When my butt touches I know I've gown down low enough, which typically has my legs at or very close to a 90 degree angle.

I've got long legs but good thick thighs from years and years of soccer. If you're worried about your knees I'd stick with doing leg presses and leg extensions while you rehab it. And if you do squats, don't worry about the weight as much as getting a good solid pump out of them.

Also, another good exercise to use might be the hack squat. But start out light and see how your knees feel. Some guys complain they feel it puts more stress on their knees, but I've always felt it puts significantly less stress on them. Plus, since the hack squat is usually a machine, you're stability should be pretty solid on it and won't put a lot of strain on your knees. Knee wraps are also another good option, but I've never cared for them.

I know squats are a great bragging exercise, but don't count out the power of leg extensions for really getting your legs to grow. Less stress on the knees and they can really help develop the teardrop shape of your inner quad depending on how you point your toes (straight, out, or in).

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I go really heavy and low reps... 4 to 8 range usually...

But of course I switch it up on occasion to high reps and low weight.. Can't let the body become accustomed to any one single thing...

I'm 5'11" but pretty large... 240 to 250 is my best training weight, so I have to go heavy to make a dent in my muscles...

I'm usually squatting (Training) at the 5 to 8 range with anywhere from 315 to 405 especially right before a meet... I never go lower than 315 even off season... My legs are too big and knees too bad to do high count reps..Can't even do those lately, hurt one running after a suspect... Go figure..

Generally for my back I concentrate on Dead Lifts, Pull Ups and Pull downs. Again heavy weights and low reps..

My chest about the same, workout weights at 225 to 315 in the 6 to 8 rep range and sometimes I pyramid down to exhaustion.

That being said, my arms have always responded well to light weight and high reps. I have no idea why. So I usually stay in the 10 to 15 rep range on arm day with comparatively light reps. Almost all dumbbell stuff...

Semper

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Big O
they can really help develop the teardrop shape of your inner quad depending on how you point your toes (straight, out, or in).

Which is which? I mean which one does a better job of hitting the teardrop?

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Turning them in hits the teardrop the best.

Sit on the edge of a couch and do the motion and trying each of those angles.

You should notice it even without any weight.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I'm currently lifting 12oz bottles of Corona. I don't know how many reps. it takes to finish one but I'd estimate about 6 or 7.

Sometime I lift the hood of my pickup to top off the antifreeze. That's about it.

new topics

top topics

join