It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loneliness Breeds Belief in Supernatural

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   

news.yahoo.com

People who feel lonely are more likely to believe in the supernatural, whether that is God, angels or miracles, a new study finds.

ADVERTISEMENT

Humans have evolved as social creatures, so loneliness cuts to the quick. Living in groups was critical to the survival and safety of our ancient ancestors, and "complete isolation or ostracism has been tantamount to a death sentence," said University of Chicago researcher Nicholas Epley, who led the study.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I have wondered(if they were just lonely and wanted attention) this about some "alien abductees" I have seen. I think sometimes everyone feels lonely. How about it ATSers is this study right?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
What if it is the supernatural/paranormal that reaches out to the lonely.

They may be lonely for a reason.

Social interaction is not everyones 'cup of tea'. Most shaman. witch doctors and other spiritual people lead a lonely life due to their cultural beliefs and their elders recognition of them being of that spiritual persuasion.

Another example, a bit extreme, but still a valid example is the principle of the Jedi form that rather famous set of films.

Even in modern society, there are a lot of 'mediums' that are frowned upon for being kooks by a lot of people, but it's odd how we're quite happy to watch them 'perform' in reality shows on tv. Others ask themselves, 'why can't I talk to the dead too?'

This is the funny thing about the supernatural.. it's not exact, as far as we currently understand it. It could very well be plausible that it is the 'other side' that finds us rather than us finding the 'reality' of our spiritual selves.

Most of the day, our minds are cluttered with utter nonsense anyway, so how it has time to focus on paranormal energies is beyond me, which could help to explain how other forces reach out to you.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
This is such a stereotype. People with families believe heavily in god, and others also in aliens.

Just another way of calling people alone, weirdos.

Like the person says above, they may want to be alone, and how is that a crime, but today its called anti social. Years ago these people would of been able to live there lifes in peace, but these days becasue of profiling, dumbos, want to categorize everything.

[edit on 1/27/2008 by andy1033]

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Id like to offer an alternative view on that:

As a kid I sometimes felt lonely because neither my parents nor my teachers nor many of my friends were interested in the paranormal...a subject that was natural and familiar to me.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Every person needs to be able to focus there energies into something. I bet theres plenty of people alone that do not believe in aliens and the paranormal.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
You can be in a city surrounded by millions of people. you're not alone but you could still feel lonely, whether it be because of your race, religion or any other belief structure that singles you out from the rest.

Human emotions and the individual mind is almost a supernatural oddity in itself.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I think it may be a case of, very social people don't have the time to focus on the paranormal where as lonely people have time to ponder these things.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackProjects

news.yahoo.com

People who feel lonely are more likely to believe in the supernatural, whether that is God, angels or miracles, a new study finds.

There is a great difference between being alone and being lonely.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I think that scientists are obsisive compulsive when it comes to knowing the answers. Admitting they do not know something is their greatest insult. Paranormal can not be fully explained because there are so many things we dont know. Stating anything other than what was quoted above would cause a scientist to not only be rejected by his peers, but subject to humiliation for the rest of ever. Therefore, this opinion is worth as much as a grain of salt.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I for one think this article is complete crap. I know in my case my own interest in these things started at a young age...having nothing to do with loneliness at all. I think for many, it is simply an interest or a recognition of many mysteries that are in our world.

new topics

top topics

join