It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All about portable softwares

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Best sites. I only know 2:

Portableapps
Portablefreeware

Portableapps common portables:

Firefox portable
Thunderbird portable
Openoffice portable - free office suite, replacing Microsoft Office for casual use
Notepad++ portable
7-Zip portable
VLC media player portable
FileZilla portable
Pidgin portable - chat / messenger
DosBox portable - for playing old dos game

How to disable splash screen in portableapps softwares

Copy or move the .ini file from Other\Source directory to the main directory. Open the file with notepad and edit the following line:
DisableSplashScreen=false to
DisableSplashScreen=true
You can delete the Other folder afterwards, if I'm not mistaken it's for distribution purposes only.

Other portable softwares:

Opera@USB
CCleaner portable
PeaZip portable
IZArc2Go - another free compressor utility
Hottnotes portable - sticky notes (still buggy)
Sticky notes is also useful when you want to create a new thread on ATS. You don't want to lose the entire post just because you hit the wrong button, do you?

Applications that can become portable (I think):

Irfanview - image viewer
FastStone Image Viewer - another free image viewer
Recuva - recover deleted files
FoxitPDF - pdf reader

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
WOW...

That is a FANTASTIC list and I for one thank you...

I have been thinking of looking at some of these and now I have one place to go to find them...

Question...

When I place them on a USB drive, the computer I use it in must be able to boot from USB, correct?

Semper

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

No, the idea behind portable apps is that they do not need to be installed, so they can be executed from a USB drive or from a CD/DVD.

There are also virtual computers (like Moka5Engine or Mojopac) that can be loaded on a USB drive. In this case you need to have a computer that supports booting from a USB drive, but you also get a complete operating system, not just the applications.

Edit:
Wikipedia has a portable software list.

[edit on 27/1/2008 by ArMaP]

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
So I was looking at the list and I am still a little unsure..

Do I install the file I download onto the USB drive, or do I just copy the installation file over to the USB?

Sorry so many questions but I'm pretty dumb with computers...

Semper

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

When you download the file from the website, the file is usually a .exe or a .zip. If it's an exe, it's usually a self extracting file. So you extract that file to a folder whether it's in your USB drive or your hard drive. Find the exe file within that folder and then you can create a shortcut to it for fast execution.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
A portable suite of free and open source software. Wininizio PenSuite

WinInizio.it is happy to present Wininizio PenSuite, a collection of free and open source software that can be copied onto a USB pen drive or used from a hard disk.

And if somehow you need to make firefox portable your default browser, use this. DefaultMyFFP

DefaultMyFFP, or DMFFP, is a simple program to make Firefox Portable your default browser. It sets all needed registry entries without needing to open Regedit. DefaultMyFFP has been successfully tested on XP and Vista.

[edit on Tue, 27 May 08 by Jazzyguy]

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
pendriveapps.comreply to post by Jazzyguy

there's lots of good ones here also
thought about putting up a how to make your own command scanner list of some anti-virus / spyware ?
any thoughts

top topics

join