It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

from Bear to Blackjack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 05:11 AM
link   
An interception took place a few days ago which is a little different from the norm. We are well used to Bear bombers being met by NATO fighters (excellent Raptor interception pics westy
) but this time RAF Tornadoes were scrambled to intercept a pair of Tu 160 Blackjack bombers, as far as I know this is the first time this type has been involved. The Russians have recently restarted Blackjack production so this type of intercept may become the norm within a couple of years.

The Ministry of Defence confirmed that two Tornado F3s were launched from RAF Leeming in North Yorks to track two Tu160 "Blackjack" bombers as they came into the Nato area patrolled by the RAF

RAF Intercepts Blackjacks

another source

I wont hold it against Sky that they show a picture of the wrong type of Tornado, I don't expect them to know any better

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Interesting reading Waynos.

It always bothers me that news corporations don't do their research on aircraft - it makes me wonder how valid some of the other stuff they report is if they can be that sloppy.

Blackjack is a whole new ball game as opposed to Bears. Do you think the RAF will up the interception radius now they are dealing with something with the capability to suddenly make a supersonic dash? Surely they'd want to be picking it up sooner?

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

Blackjack is a whole new ball game as opposed to Bears. Do you think the RAF will up the interception radius now they are dealing with something with the capability to suddenly make a supersonic dash? Surely they'd want to be picking it up sooner?

You are dead right indeed.
response and identifying times will have to be sharp and alert.
It will be interesting over the next few months to years of cat and mouse
games again.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Yeah, it's often been my downfall. One minute I'm drinking a beer, the next I'm a hundred down at blackjack...hmm, what's that? Oh, BEAR to Blackjack. Sorry, my eyes aren't what they used to be!

In all seriousness, this is an interesting turn of events. These things usually don't happen as a random event. Any political happenings that might have prompted a show of force? Or maybe a test of defences? Very interesting none the less. Thanks for the post Waynos.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 05:45 AM
link   
according to one of the sources the Norwegians scrambled a pair of F-16's as well and a Sentry AEW 1 (AWACS to you lot) was also used (as they are intended to be of course) The interception is being linked to a major Russian naval excersise which was taking place off the Bay of Biscay.

The Tornado F.3 was originally specifically designed to Intercept Blackjacks and Fencers approaching from the north so it is ironic that it is actually performing this task for the first time nearly 20 years after the end of the cold war and with plans to withdraw the F.3 from service having been published. Maybe a rethink will be called for?

[edit on 27-1-2008 by waynos]

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Russian army is just showing it's muscles. They are testing new ICBMs, flying in the areas where they didn't since the end of cold war, ... I support Russia, but their army is in catastrophic condition. NATO is becoming larger and former Varshav pakt countries are becoming members. The first thing Russians want to hear is that their country is a superpower. You can prove that by launching ICBMs much easier than by reorganiation of army.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Where have you all been? They have been doing this since Russia started its muscle flexing last year. They are always picked up by Norway's F-16s and then made to turn around by England's new Typhon fighters. I think this is the first time they used the Tornado to intercept however the Brits are more than likely tired for showing the Russians the capabilities of their new toys. In a real world situation not one Blackjack would get though the air defense of NATO as they are huge radar targets. I think there is a post here on ATS for just about every intercept.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

I think you missed the point skywatcher, it is not the fact that these intercepts took place, as you rightly say they have been going on for a while now, it is the use of the Blackjack supersonic bomber, rather than the antiquated Bear, that is a new development.

Also the RAF uses either Typhoons or Tornadoes, whichever happen to be on alert at the time as 3Sqn (Typhoon) is currently sharing QRA duties on rotation with 43 and 111 Sqns (Tornadoes) with 11 Sqn also nearing readiness on the Typhoon.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
At this point Tornado F.3s on QRA are loaded out with 4 AMRAAMs and 4 ASRAAMs (the same current layout as the Typhoon) plus 2 550 gallon wing tanks. An interesting fact from the dec flight international is the only 2 Russian flights where intercepted in 2007 up to July. But Russia's mindset to flex its muscles saw that number increase for the rest of 2007. Now in 08 we see them start to actually send aircraft that could pose a "threat" to running into British airspace. The reality is that the F.3 is in a better spot then it has ever been before to provide this air-cover it needs to now

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
And the ironic thing is - intercepting Blacjacks is the job it was actually built for; but very interesting develoment indeed - it would be like the US running a B1-b towards Vladivostok.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by waynos

No several of them have been Blackjacks thats what I was saying. There are more intercepts recorded in the threads about the other times as well.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
And the ironic thing is - intercepting Blacjacks is the job it was actually built for; but very interesting develoment indeed - it would be like the US running a B1-b towards Vladivostok.

That would be a waste of fuel and the Russians may not see it flying at 50 feet off the deck. They sure wont see the B-2.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

My apologies, I see that an almost identical intercept was reported last September, that one completely passed me by.

So how often has the Tu 160 been used in this way, any info?

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by waynos

Well as I said this only became regular again as of this july so from there on in is where we would need to look/track-down. I wasn't around in july to keep up to date with the change in pace but realized that it had indeed changed when I got back late july.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
it was posted in Breaking Alternative News
thats why we missed it

i dont look there any other time.
oh well

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
We always know well before these guys actually hit the air.

It's mainly electronic signature gathering. In some respects it's a good thing for our side. The more gear they light off on us, the more we know about them.

We usually take our latest missles up, and let them listen to the signature of each aircrat's electronic emmissions. As a Intercept Controller, I had 10 live intercepts on Bears, and Badgers, and that was a big part of the mission each time.

Bring them on!

top topics

join