It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgian Army switched from AKs to M4s!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
On Saturday Interfax reported that defense minister assistant Batu Kyteliya announced the rearming of Georgian armed forces with M4, and completely scrapping all of AK variants.

By his words defense department considers American M4 to be a superior weapon to Kalashnikov design.

Another reason given was serious difficulties Georgia is having with ammunition supply for their AKs!

As agency quoted; “American weapons are more expensive, but if we are to consider the future, then storage and maintenance for M4 will be cheaper.”

Georgian Ministry of Defense announced that the first order of M4 was already purchased.

www.lenta.ru...

How’s that for a joke of a puppet state? Georgians can’t guarantee regular ammo supply, so somebody figured out how to make a buck by dumping on them the M4s while everybody who actually uses them keeps complaining about what a POS it is, and trying to get rid of them anyway they can.

What a joke.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I find it hilarious that somebody (Georgia defense) claims that ammunition for one of the most mass-produced weapons in human history is unobtainable. Right. Interesting to know what ordinary georgians think about that nonsense.

Edit to add:

I've stripped the AK47 more times than I care to remember. I never handled a M4, but I did an AR-15 which I figure is a distant cousin. Now... How on Earth can the maintenance of M4 be cheaper than that of AK47?? Are georgians building factories to manufacture parts for this weapon? I really don't think so. Suckers.

[edit on 26-1-2008 by buddhasystem]

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
The "ammo" exuse is lame, the superiority is questinable.
The main reason, as i see it,is simply to annoy russians.
AK's are part of Russia's legacy.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

While it is a political message, MONEY is most likely the biggest factor. Somebody is making a killing on this deal.

This way they kill two birds with one stone, bolster Georgia as an American puppet state and make a load of cash.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
My bet is on Colt. They are hurting right now, and that kind of sale will do them well. The sale of old AKs to arms dealers will fund the new M4s. It that kind of weather they should have picked the SCAR.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Maybe will see some parts kits eventually if they don't want there AK's I've got plenty of room to add to the collection...

Does Georgia purchase its AK's from Russia? if so this is another thing in Russia's side....

First we bomb there purchasers now we undercut them...

this wont' play well if this keeps up...

[edit on 27-1-2008 by C0le]

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Money [corruption] and politics.

Originally posted by iskander
While it is a political message, MONEY is most likely the biggest factor. Somebody is making a killing on this deal.

This way they kill two birds with one stone, bolster Georgia as an American puppet state and make a load of cash.

I agree.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
The "ammo" exuse is lame, the superiority is questinable.

THats surely is the only reason to do it.

new topics

top topics

join