It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Draft reinstated, 2005

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Quoting gemron:
"What I can foresee is a draft for the "Homeland Security forces" which I can see this country instituting, sort of a cross between the National guard and the Minute men."

Right on the button here I reckon Gemron. I saw some guy's story, as part of a 'serious' documentary on time-travel on the BBC, who claimed to have foreknowledge of the period around 2006-10. At which time, so he claimed, the US would be under Martial Law and there would be trade wars and food riots.

Seems like congress might have been on the same time capsule....

Whether or not one can take seriously one man's claims of foreknowledge, it seems likely that in the next ten to thirty years - in many countries on this planet - because of dwindling resources and the widening gulf between rich and poor there are likely to be more and more occurances of massive civil disturbance; over taxes, trade, food, religion, race, co-habitation of one racial/ethnic group with another, house prices - you name it.

It'd be handy to have a few million extra in uniform, wouldn't it?

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by infovacume
Ok lets stop arguuing about dodging the draft, or being a pussie, or hating on Bush. How about we try and figure out if this is real. If there is a Draft coming. Look I am 20 and freshly married to my beutiful wife, I am in College, and on my way to being a a cop.

Do you think they would draft me if I was a cop? Secondly I support the war, and Bush, but I don't want to have to leave my wife. If I wasn't married I would leave, I wouldn't fight it. But I love my wife too much , I have seen what time apart does, and to be frank she read this thread and it made her sick and scared of loosing me, so whats the deal? Is this legit?

Sorry buddy but you make a prime candidate for the draft. Especially being a cop.

Family men fight harder (cause they having something to return to) and Cops are trained to perform regimental duties so you could be "rushed" through basic faster and on the front lines faster.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
WWII I believe the draft was 16-50, so having a cutoff at 26 I think is pretty modest.

Personally I grew up as a kid fascinated by the military and military hardware I could identify thousands of AC and ground units by sillouettes, I scored in the top 2 percentile on the NABT (Naval Apptitude Battery Tests) I think is what they were called at the time. Which qualified me for some job class like Nuclear powerplant engineer or something to that effect. But as I got older I realized the value of each human life and I could not see putting myself in a position to have to actively take someones life who was not a direct threat to me. As well as knowingly putting my life in danger by an indirect threat.

Although deep down I know I am a warrior, but only in the case of a direct threat. I have been trained to use a variety of weapons but I disagree in shedding innocent life for the sake of an ideology.

I would have much rather seen us take out Saddam's command and control, devestate his tatical and strategic capabilities and decimate his military then to send our troops into a ground based war fought now on an ideology level instead of a strategic objective, like moving them out of Kuwait or capturing the oil resources or releasing hostages etc. We should have bombed and bombed and bomded Saddam's Iraq, pounding them into submission and then simply waited for the country to fall apart, when the crazy insurgents were finished killing each other. Then I would move troops in and systematically destroy and rebuild the country, but only if there was a strategic advantage to do so. If simply for the "showing" to the world that our military action is also compassionate about the future fate of the Iraqi people yet these same people have no problem killing innocents. Screw them, let them suffer, they suffered before under Saddam, so we get rid of the biggest bad guy in their country and what do they do ??? They resort to being even worse then their disposed dictator by showing that it was not just Saddam that was evil but a whole culture of people who do not value human life. I pray for our soliders to return, I pray for our administration to finally grow some balls and make a stand to tell the people of Iraq that they are bringing this apon themselves. Why does the US have to have troops on the ground ? Only to use as a staging point for other conflicts in the region. To put more soliders in the line of fire, to never gain any strategic advantage ? Its not like we are claiming any new land for the United States over in the middle east. So our soliders die for what ? To show off our weaponry to prove to the world that we have the fire power to destroy nations ??? We could have done that from the sky. Hilter proved that you can pound a nation into submission. ( I by no means approve of any actions by the Nazis. I am just making a point about firepower when capturing the "land" for your homeland is not a strategic object and only serves as a tactical launch point)

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I just read where they will not have a draft it was in the Yahoo headlines.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Well, Ill support the draft under one condition.

Every seneator, congressman, and employee of the pentagon all be at the very front lines, with thier entire families, with the same protection and equipment soldiers are given. They will remain during the entire duratyion of whatever conflict, and will be repeatedly shipped to any hotspot they dare send the troops in.

Cuz in saner times, back in the old days, there was no way in hell you would have gotten an army to go anywhere unless thier king or chief was right up there in the front battling with everyone else. Its a shame we shed such an idea, with modern day wars being cammanded by people who sit comfortably in thier palaces while everyone elses kid gets to buy the farm. Shame shame.

But the prez has no right to the title of commander in chief of the armed forces if he aint out there in a humvee leading the charge.

If the selective service is called into active status, I think the very first step is to round up all of congress' kids and draft them first, then draft the rest of us goons. I dont care if thier kids are in wheelchairs or in med school. They go first.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   

(a) OBLIGATION FOR YOUNG PERSONS- It is the obligation of every citizen of the United States, and every other person residing in the United States, who is between the ages of 18 and 26 to perform a period of national service as prescribed in this Act unless exempted under the provisions of this Act.

My math may be off, but if there was a mandatory two years of service for that age bracket wouldn't that create a standing military of over 20,000,000?? What the heck do we (the US) need with an military that large?

US Census Data

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Well maybe a draft will help the American people to truly understand what's going on.
It's easy to say "yay-rah the president says we're gonna be good americans and be tough and beat those terrorists" but something altogether different to send their kids or even themselves into some living hell based on what people like George W. Bush tell them.
When all the teenagers who are used to the spoils of being American suddenly have to march off to war, the popularity of Bush's war will surely be reduced even more. Hopefully, though, for Bush-types, there will be enough trouble stirred up in the middle east and elsewhere so that we'll all forget how bogus the Iraq war was to begin with. Plus, the powers that be probably fully intend for Kerry to win, so that he can take the blame for the draft ( the people would accept it more from him rather than W. because he is an actual veteran, and the Republicans could then blame him for it - after all, now that war is on and the contracts are secured, W.' s work is done anyway).
either way, so much for freedom. A nation that forces its people into the military is not totally free.
Yeah, I know that alot of European nations have mandatory military service, but they're not America, the free-est nation in the world. And a people that marches into whatever situation on the orders of their government are not free , either. We're gonna defend freedom by being less free , and forcing it on others as well ! You are hereby ordered to join the military force others to be as free as you are !

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   
As much as I hate to drag people back to the original topic, has anyone seen any mention of a upcoming draft in the US that does not mention S89 or HR163?

As I mentioned in one of the other threads on this topic, neither S89 or HR163 appear to be cause for alarm.

Congressmen Rangel and Conyers, the authors of HR163 and Senator Hollings, the sponsor of S89 are all Democrats. Congressman Pete Stark explains the rationale behind those bills here.

The initial post in this thread also mentioned that $28 million has been added to the SSS in 2004 and linked to this performance plan. However, the performance plan (at least as far as I could tell) said nothing about 28 million dollars being added to their budget.

I'd like to see something more substantial before people start getting all worked up over a draft. Are there other bills in the senate or the house that would indicate a pending draft? Can anyone show that the SSS has gotten $28 million in additional funding and that "The Pentagon has quietly begun a public campaign to fill all 10,350 draft board positions and 11,070 appeals board slots nationwide."

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I think it will be funny to watch the mass exodus of americas youth from the country if this happens. It is also going to be good argument for paying the volunteer force much better than now. Yup if you dont wana die for your country your at least going to have to work a few hours per month to pay those who do.

Those poor disabled G.I's should get a million each or more in my opinion. They should never want for anything as long as they live. If I were a person like Bill Gates I would make sure that each and everyone of those disabled G.I's lived fat cat the rest of there lives.

Keep an eye on the first to leave after the draft as they will be the ones who will eventually be running for president/congress in 20-30 years time.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 01:19 AM
link   
all i can say is read Titor. there is an eery parallel here.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by who
Why are so many against serving in the military? It is not a death sentence, I signed up and am leaving on march 11 for basic. My MOS is Intelligence Analyst, once you take a test (on a computer) you get to CHOOSE your career path. Being drafted may be different, so why not enlist and get it done that way?

Not a death sentence,
, kid,...... where have you been for the past year ? We've already lost over 800 troops ( I think thats the count ), and also some civilians,
. You sound like my cousin's kid, that just got out of boot camp . My cousin's boy came back on leave saying it's going to be "fun" and "cool" going into Iraq to kill people
, my brother-in-law jumped all over the boy for having the audacity to talk about killing a person as if it's a game and going to be "fun", he told him that he ( the boy ) needed an attitude-ajustment, because "WAR" is not a game, nor is it fun . My brother-in-law is a "vet" and so is my father, they both wanted to knock so sence into the boy, somebody needs too.

If being in the "arm services" is/was so great of a thing,............ then why did George W Bush, go AWOL ?
And he's the one that's in fault for the war in Iraq to start with
!

Kid, you really need to go find some "vet's" and talk to them, the one's that been in wars, that can tell you all the horror stories, better yet, go find a "vet" that's having "flash-backs" of NAM or WWII and see what the wars have done to them.

You've already joined,..... there's no turning back for you,.....I wish you the very best and godspeed, but please do not try to talk others into doing what you've done, let them make that choice on their own.
If this war was worth fighting for, I might have a change of heart about it, but, it's not worth it, no amount of oil in the world for the rich oil companies, is worth loosing even one (1) life over

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 02:51 AM
link   
All I can say is thank god I live in Australia where this is not going to happen anytime soon. This is not going to work like it did in the old day people watch TV and movies where they have a good idea whats going to happen to them once there at war and unfortunately whats going to happen to them if they return physically or psychology damaged. God help us all if this spreads we will all end up using this forum from comps we have hidden in out backpacks in iraq.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   
RESIST!!! PROTEST!!! DEFY!!! WHY SHOULD YOU OR YOUR CHILDREN FIGHT AND DIE FOR THE CORRUPT POWERS OF THIS COUNTRY???

IF THEY WANT MORE WARS THEN LET THEM GO AND DIE AND DECREASE THE CORRUPT SURFACE POPULATION!!!

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eljay
RESIST!!! PROTEST!!! DEFY!!! WHY SHOULD YOU OR YOUR CHILDREN FIGHT AND DIE FOR THE CORRUPT POWERS OF THIS COUNTRY???

very well put!

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
if the draft were to be reinstated, i believe a monumental even will occur either before or after the draft, as i see it as a sign of things to come. i just pray that people will wake up in time.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I am curious as to what everyone would do here if a true WWIII broke out. Suppose the movie Red Dawn were to come true (well, replace the Soviets with some other menace). Let's imagine that masses of Mexicans claimed the southwest as Aztlan while simultaneously jihadists in Canada launch a massive round of attacks in cities nationwide. What would you do if the govt. decided to instate an emergency draft?

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I think it is about time to reinstate the draft. But I think they should make it alot more fairer than they did during the Vietnam war. No special treatment for the rich or the Senators' sons. And women should do their part too! I think that is what alot of these young punks out there with nothing to do but binge drink, drunken drive etc. need to look forward to. It wouldn't hurt them to do their duty to their country. here is where I have a problem is with a President sending troops to war without a clear declaration of war with Congress. We need to make that a priority!! Or else the President at the time will continue to send troops to timbuc2.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   
To be quite honest Im horrified by the idea of the draft. Im 22, recently married, and in grad school to go into petroleum exploration. I dont like the idea of being forced into the military, but I support them 100%. I think very highly of our military (serving officers, maybe not so much the top dawgs). Without them we would be in the bottom of a bomb crater somewhere. But I think there are different classes of people with different paths in life. I chose the path of the scientist, that searches for those things our society needs to evolve and grow, others choose to serve the country on defense, medicine, inferstructure, planning, educating, etc. But in the end I think we should choose our own path, not be shoved down one.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 07:59 AM
link   
^well put there, couldn't have said it better myself.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Unless this country is attacked and the USA's existence is seriously threatened, the draft will not be reinstated.

Military leaders do not want to return to those days because so many goof-offs and incompetents get drawn into the military services who don't want to be there that the various services become ineffective in certain areas.

Few men and women want to serve their country these days. We should be thankful for those who are capable and willing since most of us don't want to and aren't physically and mentally capable of doing so.

However, the draft for 2005 or 2006 is possible if the Bible Code predictions are real. Check out onealclan0.tripod.com... or any other years for the next decade.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join