It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Draft reinstated, 2005

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   
the thing that gets me is that, those in a higher education are no longer exempted from the draft, which leads me to believe, if there was a draft, the future will not look to bright, because you've killed off all the future doctors, lawyers, teachers, professors, etc. If I get drafted, well then I get drafted, I'm not going to go with a smile on my face, but I'll do my duty. In my mind, all I know is that 18th century prussian aristocrats and royalty, atleast had the balls to go out with their soldiers and poor and fight side by side with them, and in today's society, that how it should be.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
maybe someone can answer this questions for me, are reverands or any other spiritual leader exempted from the draft?

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by IKnowNothing
maybe someone can answer this questions for me, are reverands or any other spiritual leader exempted from the draft?

I think if you were a spiritual leader/reverand, you would definetly be able to claim conscientious objector status for your religion, and have it given to you...but I can't think of any other reason why they would be exempt.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Just ran across this article:
More Americans sign up to serve

Despite a rising tide of combat deaths and the prospect of deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan for years to come, Americans continue to volunteer for military service and are re-enlisting at record rates.

Thoughts?

seekerof

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Just ran across this article:
More Americans sign up to serve

Despite a rising tide of combat deaths and the prospect of deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan for years to come, Americans continue to volunteer for military service and are re-enlisting at record rates.

Thoughts?

seekerof

Hmmm......Interesting.

Maybe everyone is signing up quick, staying in for 6 months, then dropping out, just so that they can say they served their "minimum of 6 months" in the army.

Who knows? Maybe I'm wrong.

And someone mentioned that if someone doesnt want to do the draft they should leave the country because America doesn't need the "pussies."

Well, my friend, the funny thing is, most of them are freshly 18 and waiting at the airport with passport in hand, ready to take up house in britain! or canada!

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Ok lets stop arguuing about dodging the draft, or being a pussie, or hating on Bush. How about we try and figure out if this is real. If there is a Draft coming. Look I am 20 and freshly married to my beutiful wife, I am in College, and on my way to being a a cop.

Do you think they would draft me if I was a cop? Secondly I support the war, and Bush, but I don't want to have to leave my wife. If I wasn't married I would leave, I wouldn't fight it. But I love my wife too much , I have seen what time apart does, and to be frank she read this thread and it made her sick and scared of loosing me, so whats the deal? Is this legit?

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by infovacume
Ok lets stop arguuing about dodging the draft, or being a pussie, or hating on Bush. How about we try and figure out if this is real. If there is a Draft coming. Look I am 20 and freshly married to my beutiful wife, I am in College, and on my way to being a a cop.

Do you think they would draft me if I was a cop? Secondly I support the war, and Bush, but I don't want to have to leave my wife. If I wasn't married I would leave, I wouldn't fight it. But I love my wife too much , I have seen what time apart does, and to be frank she read this thread and it made her sick and scared of loosing me, so whats the deal? Is this legit?

Well, it looks like your whole post is based on dodging the draft.

Sorry, I just had to be the antagonist.

But I agree, I would like to see some off-line coverage of this. Honestly, I don't trust the internet, no matter how good the website is.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Well, the bills are there guys...I didn't make it up, haha...but I don't know what chances we'll have of them actually passing. I think that if Bush becomes president again, it could happen...it all depends on how the war goes, how the country supports it, etc. Just know that it is possible, and make your decision about how you want to handle it, if in fact we have a draft.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Grr... I've been telling my friends it's coming back for like two years. I'm 16 so I'm prime age to be recruited in 05. Kind of makes me mad, I hate being forced to do things even if its something I like to do. Sure I'd go fight, why not? Still upsets me though that they would be forcing young adults to fight for a cause they probably don't give a damn about. If the draft is back by 05 the first thing I'm doing is elisting as a medic or something with computers, which I'm good at so I don't end up hamburger meat on the front line.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Nice find. Keep in mind that indymedia is very liberal and shows alot of biased stuff on Free speech TV.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   
where has this war on terrorism gone?? i mean, it started as a little thing to get osama, then you americans swamped iraq.

Why would you need a draft???? eh??? like seriously.

The US army is invicible, basicly. The only thing that could really tear the US army apart would be the hordes of the chinese....

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Where' s the "Bush is Blood-thirsty" tie into this? These are bills introduced by Congress...not EO's.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   
my thoughts on the draft: military experience is great and builds character, every american CITIZEN should serve at least 6 months; as well what ever action is necessary to be taken by this great land to teach its inhabitants to respect life that is given, so be it...

is it true? of course it is colonel has posted something about this as early as last year when senator rangel wanted to make sure the draft was fair across the board...

besides it is survival of the fittest, it would be great to see all those people boasting about how great they are because they are blessed to be american have to serve this country...

kinda like flushing the grass to see all the snakes come out in fear...

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Catfish

The US army is invicible, basicly.

Nothing is invincible. It might appear that way, but a concrete wall can be chipped away by a chisel and will eventually fall.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Now that the Army is integrated, IF there's a draft...

How could they NOT draft girls as equally as males?

Forget Elvis. I would LOVE seeing Reese Witherspoon forced into doing her duty. Or Jessica Simpson.

Fair is fair, is it not?

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Forget Elvis. I would LOVE seeing Reese Witherspoon forced into doing her duty. Or Jessica Simpson.

lol...I wouldn't be too confident with them out on the battlefield if the # really hit the fan..most women are typically given more "civilized" positions in the military..

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   
This actually scares me quite a bit. Although it isn�t the thought of war that scares me, but rather the mental consequences, and perhaps even financial consequences that war would cause. I also think it�s pretty scary that I would have to put my life on hold to go serve our country. I mean later this year I will be going to college, getting a degree in CIS, and the government could stunt my chances of doing this.

On the other hand, although I do not really believe in the current �conflict� in Iraq, I would still serve my country if it called upon me.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
The only thing our soldiers are "serving" in Iraq is the private agendas of the corrupt men in power, and in control of our country right now. Our country as a whole isn't going to be any better off after this war, and it was never in any danger before the war...so what are we fighting for? Earlier I said that if drafted, I would go, but now I think I would not. This war is so wrong, and I completely disagree with it, and I would never fight for these people...if our country were truely in danger, and I knew that fighting would help everyone out, I would gladly fight, but this is certainly not the case. And there is no fvcking way in hell that I believe this war is worth the death of ONE American...or Iraqi for that matter.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Back when we had the draft it was "give em a gun and get them to the front". With Todays "Army of One", how long does it actually take to train a soldier in all they have to know to function efficiently in the field? I believe that 8 weeks basic and a month of specialty training its not going to cut it. It just is not viable to take the time and money to train someone for a two year hitch in the service
What I can foresee is a draft for the "Homeland Security forces" which I can see this country instituting, sort of a cross between the National guard and the Minute men.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 02:18 AM
link   
School and Canada won't be of any use to draft dodgers this time...
Congress brought twin bills, S. 89 and H.R. 163 forward this year, entitled the Universal National Service Act of 2003, "To provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons [age 18--26] in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes."

and...

College and Canada will not be options. In December 2001, Canada and the US signed a "Smart Border Declaration," which could be used to keep would-be draft dodgers in. Signed by Canada's Minister of Foreign Affairs, John Manley, and US Homeland Security Director, Gov. Tom Ridge, the declaration involves a 30-point plan which implements, among other things, a "pre-clearance agreement" of people entering and departing each country. Reforms aimed at making the draft more equitable along gender and class lines also eliminates higher education as a shelter. Underclassmen would only be able to postpone service until the end of their cur-rent semester. Seniors would have until the end of the academic year.

So really the only way to get out of this war is if your last name is Bush.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join