It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Draft reinstated, 2005

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
We have to stop and think for a moment if we are going to get into the whole argument agian about the draft dodgers and how unpatriotic it is. If this country were soo great the people would be willing to give their live for it. You can not rule someone out for not going into the draft just becasue you see them as weak, when in fact they are stonger and smarter than you are.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   
If the draft does come, those are your choices. And so what if I feel the way I do about it? What makes anyone else so *special* that they can just dodge it while other innocents lay their lives down?

Im not willing to protect some asshole that thinks, because of his *beliefs*, that he is so high and mighty.

Just because you get drafted it doesnt mean you have to kill anyone. You could work on radars and things of that nature.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
If I get drafted you will all hear about me on the news when I go on a shooting rampage of police,any government employee,ect ect..

you think im joking???

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tetsuo-51
If the draft does come, those are your choices. And so what if I feel the way I do about it? What makes anyone else so *special* that they can just dodge it while other innocents lay their lives down?

Im not willing to protect some asshole that thinks, because of his *beliefs*, that he is so high and mighty.

Just because you get drafted it doesnt mean you have to kill anyone. You could work on radars and things of that nature.

WTF do you think they do with "radars and things of that nature"??? You would be pointing out targets for others to kill, it's the same thing.

"High and mighty" because they don't believe in killing??? WTF are you on? Get back in the flock.

[Edited on 13-2-2004 by John Nada]

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I cannot believe this absolute bull!!!..This is not the land of the free anymore...well..has it really ever been???
You think that im afraid to die??? sorry sir not afraid..I actually feel quite close to death as a matter a fact.I will never fight in a war that is unjust and does not serve the PEOPLE..(not the government or their coporate sponsers) Somebody tried to use germany and israel as an example of mandatory service...THEN GO LIVE THERE!!! I dont live in israel or germany...I live in the United states of america and I will fight to the death FOR AMERICA AND ITS PEOPLE...NOT HALIBURTON AND BUSH CO. forget THAT..I WILL START PICKIN people OFF THE SIDE OF A HIGHWAY IF I GET DRAFTED

:edited for language: dont want seekerof to ban me because he has it out for me

[Edited on 13-2-2004 by McGotti]

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Neo, does Canada have a draft?

No but it should have one if you ask me. Canadians are chickens except when it comes to playing hockey? Weird eh?

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   
if anybody needs me, ill be running away to canada......

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO

Neo, does Canada have a draft?

No but it should have one if you ask me. Canadians are chickens except when it comes to playing hockey? Weird eh?

The military is an excellent tool for maturing teens and preparing them for adulthood.

Military service for two years should be mandatory.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by McGotti
If I get drafted you will all hear about me on the news when I go on a shooting rampage of police,any government employee,ect ect..

you think im joking???

Yes

And I learned long ago not to trust the indymedia (don't trust the regular media either, though). These are the same people who posted stories of how tank rounds created a vacuum that sucked old women and babies across the city

EDITED for spelling.

[Edited on 13-2-2004 by Esoterica]

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Refer to the patriotic debate in the weaponary forum, it covers a similar ideaHere

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I have mixed feelings on this subject. I believe the draft is wrong, forced service will never net this country the results it is looking for. AT the same time I believe this country needs to take a long hard look at how we are protecting ourselves. Instead of a draft I would hope that we as Americans have the opportunity to vote on whether there needs to be a form of mandatory service, geared towards the protection of our home land (similar to what the National Guard) is supposed to be used for. This should have benefits such as government paid college/skills training and ongoing benefits. It won't work if during that time you are sent to whatever country our republican leaders decide needs to be changed but in patrolling our borders, protecting our skies and monitoring aliens in our country (why couldn't this group take over screening at airports?). If the American people vote this service in I think we will see several major issues in our society resolved including reduced drug use, reduces poverty (when you are 18 you will actually get a paycheck for a year or two, gain skills to work in society and be pulled out of gang environments). Now I don't have all the answers but I know the draft is not one, yet we do have a need to protect this country like never before in history. We just need to be creative in our approach and willing make this a priority in our society. All just my opinion.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Thats a load of crap. My Uncle got drafted from Bible College back during Nam. He was very religious, and did not believe in killing. He did not try to dodge the draft, but instead, told them he did not want to be a combat soldier, and asked if he could instead become a cxhaplains assistant, which is an acvtual job in the military. They denied him that, sent him to infantry school, and threw him out in the jungle with a rifle. He specifically let them know he had no problem serving America, he just didnt want to kill anyone, his beliefs forbade it, and since he was going to school to become a minister, he wanted instead to be a chaplains assistant to give spiritual guidance in the field, or give peace to the dying, something he was already trained in. And they made him infantry.

You dont pick your jobs when you get drafted, and the reason they are drafting guys is because they cant get enough infantry to stay in, and they need more fodder for the war machine.

Tetsuo, shame on you, you dont understand the true meaning of being an American. You sound like a communist. If this mperson does not wish to kill because its against his beliefs, then you, wanting to be a soldier, and if you believe in America, his right to believe what he wants is your duty to defend! America exists for his right not to go kill a bunch of morons for this #ed up govornment. Do you think packing around an M-16 is the only way to serve America! WRONG! He is non violent. He can actually do more for his country by NOT joining the military than he could joining. he could help feed the homeless and find them jobs or places to live. he could develop scientific breakthroughs. he can pick up litter. Or go visit the lonely who have been doscarded by society and thier families. There is MUCH more that needsa doing within our own borders.

We need people like him to comfort and help all the homeless veterans that return from the wars shattered and broken, because the govornment they once served sure as # wont do a damn thing for em!

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Hey Tetsuo,
Maybe you don't respect religion but what if he does? Actaully if the draft does come he wil be exempt if his religion forbids him from violence. Look it up. And where did he say he was "high and mighty"? Geta grip man. when are you joining the army? because i'm already here in Iraq, and I don't see you anywhere. Look what I'm saying is don't go attacking people for stupid reasons. Calling people an asshole because of religion makes you look like the asshole.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by McGotti
I cannot believe this absolute bull#!!!..This is not the #ing land of the free anymore...well..has it really ever been???
You think that im afraid to die??? sorry sir not afraid..I actually feel quite close to death as a matter a fact.I will never fight in a war that is unjust and does not serve the PEOPLE..(not the government or their coporate sponsers) Somebody tried to use germany and israel as an example of mandatory service...THEN GO LIVE THERE!!! I dont live in #in israel or germany...I live in the United states of america and I will fight to the death FOR AMERICA AND ITS PEOPLE...NOT #IN HALIBURTON AND BUSH CO. # THAT..I WILL START PICKIN MUTHER #ERS OFF THE SIDE OF A HIGHWAY IF I GET DRAFTED

[Edited on 13-2-2004 by McGotti]

McGotti, your emotional outrage and subliminal messages are a commendable and exemplery skill, I applaud you for having such keen abilities, but I will formally remind you of your Terms and Conditions of Use, namely #4.....read it and please control your "uses" of such. Thanks.

As to this:
"Somebody tried to use germany and israel as an example of mandatory service...THEN GO LIVE THERE!!!"

I have lived and been "toured" to Germany.

The questions I asked were asked with no intentions and yet, they are found "offensive"? Strange.....

regards
seekerof

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Keep in mind, though, it's a bit hypocritical to be against killing, but to have absolutely no problem to let other people do the killing for you.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Also, how can you decide whether the militaryis good for people or not? Your what? 17,18? Stop busting on people who don't wanna fight. This # aint pretty out here I know.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   
This whole stupid arguement is moot, because there isn't going to be a draft, despite whatever documentation is being dredged up off the internet.

The US has enjoyed a great deal of military and political success since 1980, which is partly due to a highly-skilled all-volunteer military. The Pentagon learned in Vietnam that the military cannot fight effectively for long periods of time with a force consisting mainly of conscripts. The Pentagon has no intention of going back to those day. Also, almost all members of the US armed forces, including the senior-level policy makers, are volunteers. They understand about the commitment, patriotism, professionalism and sacrafice that a volunteer career military person embodies.

However, if a draft were to be re-enacted, and you were drafted, you had better serve unless you are rich. If you desert the military or dodge the draft, it will follow you your entire life. The list of negative consequences are too long to list. If you have religious or moral reasons to not join, you can apply for conscientious objector status (which also comes with alot of negative consequences).

But if you avid the draft just because you "don't like the military" or "don't want to blindly follow the government" or so forth, then as far as I am concerned... you should move to Canada. And STAY THERE.

The benefit the many military and ex-military persons have is that they quite often have been to parts of the world where people are oppressed and live in chains. Military personnel have the added privelege of fighting for your freedom, but also UNDERSTANDING what the freedom is and not taking it for granted.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica
Keep in mind, though, it's a bit hypocritical to be against killing, but to have absolutely no problem to let other people do the killing for you.

But if you dont agree with the reasons for the killing, and dont go to take part in it, then how would that be considered letting someone else do it for you?

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Hey guys,

Been watching this board for a while now, and this is my first post, and I say hello to all.

I am 24 years old, and i have spent 3 years in the USMC. Being it has already been brought up about religion on this topic...I'll state my opinion on religion relating this. I believe (opinion/on) that none of us know for a fact where we are from, and none of us know what happens when we go....thats my religion. I believe in doing whats right, whats necessary, and what is the best thought out decision.
Here's my question, I have a 20 year old wife of 6 months now. Do you think I'd be real happy if they called my house and told me my wife had to go to the military?

We need soldiers who WANT to be there, not soldiers who are forced to be there. (opinion
ff)

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
It may be hypocritical for other reasons,but religious reasons I'll let slide. Killing messes people up. I've seen bad combat stress out here on some people

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join