It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC starts rewriting Internet rules

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Regulators agreed Thursday to set rules for telephone calls made online, and for technology to allow computer users to reach the Internet through a household electric outlet.

The Federal Communications Commission said it would decide how to regulate calls made via high-speed Internet connections, which bypass at least part of the conventional phone network.

Among the issues to be discussed is whether such calls should be subject to the same fees as regular telephone service, such for 911 emergency services or bringing telephone service to poor and rural areas, schools and libraries. Also to be decided is whether these new services need to pay fees to local telephone companies to complete calls to conventional phones.

Separately, the FCC said it would later develop rules concerning law enforcement, such as making sure that the technology that allows Internet calls also allows investigators to tap and trace them.

www.cnn.com...

This includes technology to bring internet use to electric outlets ? hmmm making it easier for everyone to access the web, thus making it easier to "monitor" everyone ? Does this smell of NWO ?

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
by the way, I wasn't sure where to post this,

I chose science and tech.. but with my statement at the end of the initial post, it could go NWO

Mods please move appropriately if needed. thanks.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
You know what they are about to start doing that really ticks me off is they are about to get real tax happy on the net.

For example they are currently debating in congress the ability for states to tax your access to the internet the same way they tax your phone access. They are also talking about allowing taxes for online purchases and already 18 states have internet purchase taxes on their income tax returns. Lastly they will tax internet phone usage the same way that your regular phone is taxed.

Anyways the bottom line is Tax, Tax, Tax and Tax some more.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Once they tax the internet, it is gone, gone gone!

Curiously when almost all the economic growth of the 1990s was computer related, and internet driven, congress did not touch it. Now the curious mixture of outsourcing, internet taxation, and the usual caprices will indicate the total death of the internet. Paradoxically while processor speed and line speed increases, taxation and metering bandwith also increase at the same time costs go down. Between 2005 and 2012, the internet will be so bogged down as to be totally useless. The golden goose is dead. Rest in Peace internet!

[Edited on 13-2-2004 by SkipShipman]

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Actually part of that is concerning neworking over power lines, which has generated some talk that it may be unhealthy for existing networking systems and such, and may lead to more problems than solutions.

As for more government control over the internet, thats when I pull the plug and start my own WAN in the neighborhood to trade files and talk to friends.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Just what VOIP need, regulation....pffft.

top topics

join