It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crossroads mythology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
The last few days iv been reading about different kind of, well you could call em urban storys. The latest one is the Crossroad "deals" .The way i understan it is that basicly you go to some crossroad, you have some items with you which you bury underground in the middle of the crossroads, ( this is not the only way ) and you make a deal with the devil. You get what you want, fame, wealth, whatever you desire. After the deal your soul is no longer yours, and some day in the future someone, or something will come and get you, sometimes says to be black dogs, or hellhounds, known by the name Cerberus, the dog of Hades from Greek mythology. The ghostly hounds are said to haunt parts of the United Kingdom and many names are given to the apparitions. Black Shuck of East Anglia, Moddey Dhoo of the Isle of Man, Gwyllgi of Wales.

It's been said that Robert Leroy Johnson made a deal with the devil

" Robert Johnson, feeling bad and lonesome, knows people up the highway in Gunnison. Can get a drink of whiskey and more up there. Man sitting off to the side of the road on a log at the crossroads says, "You're late, Robert Johnson." Robert Johnson drops to his knees and says, "Maybe not." "

he man stands up, tall, barrel-chested, and black as the forever-closed eyes of Robert Johnson's stillborn baby, and walks out to the middle of the crossroads where Robert Johnson kneels. He says, "Stand up, Robert Johnson. You want to throw that guitar over there in that ditch with that hairless dog and go on back up to Robinsonville and play the harp with Willie Brown and Son, because you just another guitar player like all the rest, or you want to play that guitar like nobody ever played it before? Make a sound nobody ever heard before? You want to be the King of the Delta Blues and have all the whiskey and women you want?"

"That's a lot of whiskey and women, Devil-Man."

"I know you, Robert Johnson,"

www.vagablogging.net...

THE CROSSROADS CURSE

Popular rock musicians who have performed the song include Eric Clapton and Cream, The Allman Brothers Band, and Lynyrd Skynyrd; and Led Zeppelin has lifted several of Johnson’s more sexual allusions for use in their lyrics. The Crossroads Curse may have touched even Kurt Cobain, the founder of Nirvana. Each of these bands has been the target of intense professional and personal tragedies that make some wonder whether the Devil isn’t still taking his payment all these long years later…

Eric Clapton and Cream recorded “Crossroad Blues” for their “Cream: Wheels of Fire” LP at the height of their fame. Within a few short years, the band was disbanded and Clapton was wallowing in the throes of heroin addiction. Years later, having cleaned up his life and enjoying a profitable solo career, Clapton was tragically struck by the death of his two year old son who fell from an apartment window to death several stories below.

The tragedy surrounding The Allman Brothers Band is practically legend in the annals of rock and roll. At the height of their fame, in 1971, Duane Allman, who is said to have loved performing “Crossroad Blues” live, was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident at another crossroads near Macon, Georgia where he swerved his motorcycle to avoid hitting a truck. He died later from his injuries. Just over a year later, in 1972, another band member, guitarist Berry Oakley, was killed while riding his motorcycle; he died less than a mile from the spot where Duane Allman had met his death. Though the band soldiered on, Duane’s brother Gregg felt compelled to immortalize his brother’s connection to a crossroads in the song “Melissa”: “Crossroads will you ever let him go? Or will you hide the dead man’s ghost?”

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.

*Please include links to quoted material*

[edit on 28-1-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Continues.......

The popular Alabama band Lynyrd Skynyrd added a cover version of Robert Johnson’s “Crossroad Blues” to their live performances. It’s raw power and driving rhythm were something that every audience looked forward to and the crowds kept coming as the band toured the south throughout 1976 and 1977. Then in October 1977, as the band was flying from Greenville, SC to their next show at the L.S.U. Assembly Center their aging Convair 240 lost an engine in mid-flight. The panicked crew lost control of the plane when they mistakenly dumped all the fuel. Minutes later the plane plunged into a swamp outside Gillsburg, Mississippi and broke into pieces. Both pilots, two of the band’s members, including singer Ronnie Van Zant, and other relatives were killed in the crash. What had been a promising future in rock music lay in pieces in a Mississippi swamp.

Led Zeppelin was famous for lapsing into treatments of many of Robert Johnson’s blues songs, including a riveting live version of “Crossroad Blues.” It is from Johnson that singer Robert Plant borrowed the famous lyrics for The Lemon Song, “squeeze my lemon till the juice runs down my leg.” Arguably one of the best and most influential rock bands ever, Led Zeppelin spent the 70’s defying gravity and riding their “lead balloon” to super fame and fortune. Near the end of the 70’s, however, the band fell upon some bad luck, triggered by the untimely death of Plant’s son to septic shock in 1977. Shortly after this, amid rumors of black magic and sexual sadism, guitarist Jimmy Page was battling his own demons trying to kick a monstrous heroin addiction. In the next several years, Led Zeppelin would lose its drummer, the phenomenal John Bonham, and the manager who had guided them to supergroup status and beyond, the inimitable Peter Grant.

Finally, Kurt Cobain, the father of the grunge movement of the 1990’s, was said to have performed his own acoustic version of “Crossroad Blues” while traveling with Nirvana and for family and friends. Cobain considered reworking it for the band to play live and was said to have been toying with recording a new version of the Robert Johnson classic when his life came to a tragic end. In April 1994 Cobain was found on the second floor of his garage at his Washington state dead from a shotgun blast through the head. The circumstances surrounding Cobain’s death are still the subject of hot debate – with rival camps claiming that Cobain committed suicide and others claiming that he was murdered in a conspiracy that centered around his wife, Courtney Love – and it seems that the curse didn’t stop at Cobain’s death. Two people, one former Cobain employee and a Seattle cop widely reviled for having botched the death site investigation, have both followed Cobain to the grave.

So, few storys about the crossroad deal. Is it true ? Or just, well a story.

By the way, just a coincidence ?

Robert Johnson's few song names

"Cross Road Blues"
"Hellhound on My Trail"
"If I Had Possession Over Judgment Day"
"Me and the Devil Blues"

so now, iv been thinking to try it out ? Or is it safe ?

What do you think ?

Lyrics from Robert Johnson's song

" I went to the crossroad, fell down on my knees
I went to the crossroad, fell down on my knees
Asked the Lord above "Have mercy, save poor Bob, if you please."

Mmmmm, standin' at the crossroad, I tried to flag a ride
Standin' at the crossroad, I tried to flag a ride
Didn't nobody seem to know me, everybody pass me by

Mmm, the sun goin' down, boy, dark gon' catch me here
oooo ooee eeee, boy, dark gon' catch me here
I haven't got no lovin' sweet woman that love and feel my care "

Source of information

en.wikipedia.org...(musician)
thebluehighway.com...
www.supernatural.tv...

[edit on 26-1-2008 by Lightunseen]

[edit on 26-1-2008 by Lightunseen]

[edit on 28-1-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
There's a few discrepancies in your post. Lynyrd Skynyrd isn't from Alabama, they're from Florida.

Also, the Led Zeppelin tune you mentioned isn't The Lemon Song, the lyrics are used in another song called Traveling Riverside Blues.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
There's a few discrepancies in your post. Lynyrd Skynyrd isn't from Alabama, they're from Florida.

Also, the Led Zeppelin tune you mentioned isn't The Lemon Song, the lyrics are used in another song called Traveling Riverside Blues.

Thank you for the corrections

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Lightunseen

no prob.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
So, like i said, iv been thinking to try this out, though i don't think anything will happen. But anyone, who has paranormal things happened in the past, or has seen a ghost, or maybe knows more about these "demons" or the devil, i realy would like to hear. Iv heard that it's not wise to play with things you don't understant, but i think that crossroad deal is just another legend, a story.

[edit on 27-1-2008 by Lightunseen]

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I am going to have to say even if it does work why would you want to do that? Any deal with the devil is just a bad deal to begin with. Selling your soul is just too hefty a price to pay for anything.

But if your going to go down this foolish and in my opinion insane road, heres how to do it. (apparently)

you go to a dirt crossroads with a box filled with a picture of yourself and either chicken or cat bones. (chicken bones probably are easier to come by) and bury it in the exact center of the crossroads (hence the requirement that it be a dirt crossroads) Then you say aloud what your wish is. Wait around for midnight or so (why it's always midnight is beyond me) and someone should show up. You will know that the deal went through if you have gained what your bargain was.

Pacts like this are made for various reasons and shouldn't be taken lightly.

The Crossroads is a rather informative site about such a thing in ritual magic. In it, it describes the rituals preformed by Tommy Johnson.

The interview was conducted by Harry Middleton Hyatt about this ritual. If you can interpret the dialect that is written here it gives a pretty clear "how to" guide to preforming this.

Again I have to reiterate that this kind of thing should not be attempted for any reason because any deal struck in this manner is going to net worse dividends than the potential gains.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
well, maybe you right friend. Just in case IF someone, some thing, would appear, it probalpy wouldnt accept my answer if i would say "nah i pass, i dont want anything, just wanted to see you "

" I am going to have to say even if it does work why would you want to do that ? "
not realy a good reason, just curious i guess. But i guess the smartest thing is to let this test be.

[edit on 28-1-2008 by Lightunseen]

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 04:45 AM
link   
If you do it right it will work. Have your negotiations worked out beforehand, know what you want and what you're willing to sacrifice. It's not be careful what you wish for, it's careful HOW you wish for it. Best of luck to you. I look for a deal of my own.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
the crossroads curse is extremely old the ancient Greeks had many tales and superstitions regarding crossroads and how to approach them and depart from them safely, ancient pagan Europe also has a huge mythology and folklore of crossroads. It must have something to do with the intersection of good and evil being a focal point of awakening conscience or something Jungian like that

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Crossroads myths are indeed real. There are demons who can be summoned there, and there are deals that can be made. DON'T! It's the worst mistake of your life, and might be your last.

Nothing you can ask for is worth the Pit, believe me. And besides, the time span isn't long enough to enjoy anything, just worry.

Most people see this as a big joke, something in fables or something they just do on T.V. shows, but don't be fooled.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mbt1990

The reason it must be done at midnight is that midnight doesn't exist for more that literally a split secontd. When the miniute hand, the hour hand, and the second hand are literally exactly aligned, then it is midnight, that mystical time when demons appear, and angels step in.
I would never approach the crossroads with a request in mind, even if I didn't have to bury all that stuff at just the right time.
It is interesting that some really influential musdians died after focusing on "Crossroad Blues." Is there something to it, or is it just a part of the myth?
Welcome to the twilight zone.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I actually went to both of the supposed Crossroads One is the intersection of Mississippi state routes 1 and 8 in Rosedale, a town mentioned in the lyrics of his "Traveling Riverside Blues:" "Lord, I'm goin' down to Rosedale, gon' take my rider by my side . . . " Which is probably thee one & not the two junctions of US routes 49 and 61, roads found in countless blues and rock songs, still the main highways linking Clarksdale, Helena, and Memphis & is in pop culture supposed to be. Anyways back in 2000 I got a hair up my ass & hobo'd from Camden S.C. all the way to Mississippi & stood at both of them at midnight with the very Guitar that is in my Avatar here. I played the same song at both places (Crossroad Blues) of course!!! & although it was more spooky at the first one as its out in the country way out, I never did meet nor see any signs of ole Legma. But I did however have an adventure of a lifetime.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Interesting piece you've got here.Wish you had'nt posted this in a way cos it REALLY,REALLY makes me want to go out and try it! But I think as this one is your baby the honour should go to you! D'ont forget to let us know how you got on.

Near where I live there is an urban legend of a hell hound that lures travellers off the road and into the river."The Hound of the Baskervilles" was based on this.It was this legend that inspired Conan Doyle to write it.Wonder if a crossroads is nearby?

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   

A good movie came out years back called Crossroads. It covers the legends of the Devil and the crossroads. A young Stevie Vai on great form. I think I also remember Jeff Healey had a small part...not sure. I reckon you'll enjoy it. Now I wanna see it too! Been years since it was last on.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by mbt1990
Crossroads myths are indeed real. There are demons who can be summoned there, and there are deals that can be made. DON'T! It's the worst mistake of your life, and might be your last.

Nothing you can ask for is worth the Pit, believe me. And besides, the time span isn't long enough to enjoy anything, just worry.

Most people see this as a big joke, something in fables or something they just do on T.V. shows, but don't be fooled.

Sounds like you've tried it bro. I'm intrigued.Let me know any experience of this you might have on here or by u2u.

top topics

join