It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defunct Spy Satellite Falling From Orbit

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Hey Everyone...This is my first ever post here. After doing a google search on the spy satellite, I can across this forum, so i'd thought i'd share something with you that i just wrote in regards to this satellite. i did some research and came across some interesting stuff...

truthpages.net...

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Welcome truthpages to the best site bar none.

That link you posted was certanly interesting and was a good read.

I was wondering where you think it will land? My own personal theory is that it if it lands in the US, is that it might land on top of where it was launched from, imageing the irony!!

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 04:22 AM
link   
If this has already all been said, feel free to skip it and move on.

There seem to me to be a number of obvious issues with this, therefore there must be dozens more that are less obvious (to me, at least).

1: Dangerous debris resulting from destroying the satellite, whether by a self-destruct button or by missile

What's the latest count of objects in orbit these days? How many of these might be damaged in the process? The remaining debris that would continue into orbit would prove a future hazard to navigation, no doubt. Besides, if the satellite blows up, wouldn't we just think the damaged satellite story was a cover-up for the test of a secret lazer/sonic targetting weapon or similar? If we don't now, we will soon, I feel bound to suggest.

2: Sensitive (secret?) data on the computer falling into enemy hands – of course, to the U.S., everyone is an enemy, and if anything's going to survive (Sod's Law), it's going to be the most sensitive and/or secret piece of equipment aboard

Charts, plots, programs, photos, recordings, estimates, targets, take your pick from a list of plausible and implausible (but probable) options.

3: Hazardous materials on board

If the satellite is truly damaged, truly dangerous and truly unpredictable, wouldn't everything possible be done to retrieve it with as little fuss as possible? Or is this, again, the cover story for the impending attack on Syria? “It wasn't a missile, it was a satellite falling out of orbit that destroyed eighty-nine per cent of your population and seventy percent of your natural resources. By the way, would you like our help to rebuild? It's the least we can do ...”.

4: Not knowing where on earth it's going to come down – if its movements are this eratic, what else has gone wrong with it ... or is it just not known yet when it's going to start falling?

... Or is it clearly known but in the interests of 3 (above) they just don't wish to disclose right now?

5: It isn't ours, it's theirs ...

... and the aliens would really like us to stop shooting down their observation outposts.

So much for the obvious. Anyone else have any other thoughts???

(Why can't I get published? Any one of these would make a fun short story. Oh, wait. I have to write them first, don't I?)

six

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Mil Spec

You are correct about all of the above except for this

We also know that the satellite was reported at 10 S/T (Standard Ton or US Simple Ton[that always cracks me up US Simple Ton]). About the size of a small bus.

a Delta II can carry 8,420 pounds (3,789 kilograms) into a 90-degree polar orbit. Now this was a 58 degree launch, there's no way that a Delta 2 launching into 58-degrees can launch 20K pounds (9K kg) into with NASA defines as Low Earth Orbit. The figures for a 28 degree low Earth orbit are 11,100 pounds (4,995 kilograms), so USA-193 (NRO-21) is going to weigh less than 11,100 pounds but more than 8,420 pounds.
So in all actuality it probably closer to 10000 lbs than anything.

www.af.mil...

Nice sum up of all the facts that have been released.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Alien Buff

I was wondering where you think it will land? My own personal theory is that it if it lands in the US, is that it might land on top of where it was launched from, imageing the irony!!

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Alien Buff

I don't like to make predictions, but here it goes...

I think it will land somewhere that will cause it to have a political and social impact. A big city or somewhere else on land that is within reach of the public. Most likely in the US, Canada, or Europe.

I think it will land sometime between MARCH 4-7...probably MARCH 6th.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
imagine my suprise when looking at news from my home town (aberdeen,scotland) i saw this story . . . .

( taken from the evening express homepage www.eveningexpress.co.uk... )

SPY SATELLITE VISIBLE AS IT FALLS TO EARTH

12:00 - 29 January 2008

A falling satellite - which is passing over the North-east - has become visible to the naked eye.

The out-of-control American spy satellite is the size of a small bus.

US government officials have warned that the satellite, which has lost power, could hit the Earth in late February or early March.

They do not know where it might come down.

It is now around 167 miles above land and would have been visible to the naked eye for the first time today - if skies had not been cloudy.

The satellite's height has decreased by around seven miles in the last four weeks.

Space broadcaster Leo Enright said: "It will start to fall faster and faster.

"It will be appearing regularly over Scotland between 6am and 8am most mornings.

"No one is suggesting it is going to fall on Scotland - three-quarters of the Earth's surface is ocean.

"It will have to come down somewhere."

The satellite, which has lost power, could contain hazardous materials.

It is not clear how long ago the satellite's power failed, or in what circumstances.

A spokesman for the US National Security Council said "appropriate government agencies are monitoring the situation".

Spy satellites are typically disposed of through a controlled re-entry into the ocean so no one else can access the spacecraft.

glad i now stay in england !
(i also have to say, i have never went with any facts ive read from this newspaper, as it really is usualy the bottom of the barrel when it comes to journalisim)

[edit on 31-1-2008 by boaby_phet]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
lol I wonder if they are just saying it's uncontrolled and then make it crash in say... Iran on purpose just to invoke war.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Not sure if someone had posted this or not yet but I found this...
FoxNews.Com- U.S. Military prepares for crashing spy satellite
In it they state:

A U.S. official confirmed that the spy satellite is designated by the military as US 193.

It was launched in December 2006 but almost immediately lost power and cannot be controlled. It carried a sophisticated and secret imaging sensor but the satellite's central computer failed shortly after launch.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the information is classified as secret.

Well we have a name, but not much more than that.... typical.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by six

Good point about the weight...what you say makes sense. In my own defense I did say the reported weight but we all know how accurate that can be sometimes..
I did a little more digging and have concluded that the weight of the satellite is not stated accurately anywhere in public source material. I think the only way we will ever see the damn thing is if it falls on an Alkaida doorstep (we all know how they love to flaunt things in the face of the West)...

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 06:26 AM
link   
They had this on the NASA station the other day and said it would come down in the Pacific ocean some place. When asked about if it may kill anyone when crashing, they said they were expecting some fatalities. But then they changed the subject to that new thing they are building at NASA.

Hilda

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I do not think it is going to fall anywhere.

Why?

Well - at speeds of 29,000 km/hr in the reentry, I do not think that a satellite can handle that much friction or heat and will eventually break up or vaporize into smaller parts, which will be seen as a meteor shower. SOme parts might survive this hot reentry, but an entire satellite is not goin to fall on anybodys head.

Spacecraft Reentry

As a satellite loses altitude it enters denser regions of the atmosphere, where friction between the satellite and atmosphere generates a great deal of heat. This is due to the high velocity of orbiting satellites, which can be more than 29,000 km/hr. The tremendous amount of heat generated can melt or vaporize the entire satellite or portions of the satellite. A similar effect occurs during a meteor shower, where streaks of light (meteors or "shooting stars") are generated by bits of natural materials (meteoroids) as they burn up in the atmosphere.

Although many people believe that satellites burn up during atmospheric reentry, some satellite components can and do survive the reentry heating (of course, satellites like the space shuttle orbiter survive reentry entirely because they are protected by specially designed heat shields). Component survival on an unprotected satellite can occur if the component's melting temperature is sufficiently high or if its shape enables it to lose heat fast enough to keep the temperature below the melting point.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by hildar

if it lands in the ocean... how could there be fatalities?

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by tetragrammation
reply to post by hildar

It is not going to hit the ocean according to them it would hit an Island in the Pacific ocean off South America. That is what they said on the NASA station when they were talking about it.

Hilda

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by hildar

Originally posted by tetragrammation
reply to post by hildar

It is not going to hit the ocean according to them it would hit an Island in the Pacific ocean off South America. That is what they said on the NASA station when they were talking about it.

Hilda

And we all know how spot-on NASA usually is.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
hi there,

been following this excellent thread for a while now.

has anyone else noticed that on the site that was posted earlier:

www.n2yo.com...

that you can select the aforementioned sat and track it ??

www.n2yo.com...

off topic....i notice that a lot of the US birds are over the Antarctica ...any real reason ???

snoopyuk

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
edit for double post

snoopyuk

[edit on 4-2-2008 by snoopyuk]

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by chucktaggart

Chuck is 100% correct. NASA has had accuracy issues to put it diplomatically. I checked more than a few sites and so far no reasoning suggests anything larger than a portion of the 5 or so tons will survive breakup. Some have said that will occur at approx 140000 altitude. Most of it will gasify. Some will impact.

If there is an RTG power source on it, then they'd get caught if they shot it down with an F-15 and a missile (which is completely doable). The ionizing source will show up on the satellites and air testing of "others".

The discussion of the event on NASA's boards is... one can look for themselves and figure out what's what by whom "side by each" for themselves. They're all "GO FLIGHT".

Other places are speaking of some sort of a transponder ping that is going in and out... which may or may not indicate that the device s already tumbling. Um, maybe. It's classified. Bummer. It is low enough to photograph, it is low enough that given the right light conditions and it isn't coloured black it should be visible to the naked eye when lit from the West on it's nadir side an hour or so after sunset. It would appear as only a pinprick of light compared to ISS.

Weather (on the way down) or a destructive event will dictate where and when it comes down. I bet the sims at SANDIA are all lit up plugging in the weather forecasts for the next month to the orbital data.

Why announce at all? Why? Liability? Maybe, but when has the US ever recently cared about what anyone other than the US thinks anyway? There's either some tech onboard they're afraid of making it down or it's a weapons system.

It is also possible that there IS a radiologic source. Which could be embarrassing internationally? This administration is now in "leaving a lasting legacy for history" mode and doesn't want any more "hassles" of goodwill than necessary.

They announced because they WANTED to announce. NRO doesn't have to do anything but what "you know who in you know which branch of the US government" wants. It's their job. They did not have to announce. They need something that bird has on it to remain secure and covert is understandable.

If it is a cylindrical shape the centre bulkheads and what is between them "could" make it down. There have been unanticipated and uncontrolled deorbits before. There has been other events over the last half century. Some got a little news. This is different.

"What if" time... NROL-21 it is still under control? And "what if" it could be deorbited under control with retrograde thrust at will? One can predict a deorbit pretty closely if one knows the attitude of the spacecraft, it's structural engineering and materials specs, all it's physical parameters, the local weather and the time of the deorbit burn. Hey, it's just a "what if".

Typically a spying on your perceived enemies satellite has no reentry TPS it WILL breakup... most will gasify. It will rain a bit of expensive metal somewhere. If it hits land avoid the impact site... especially note the wind direction and avoid being downwind.

I saw the NASA TV piece that another member mentioned. It made air precisely once and is no longer in the rotation that I've seen. Fatality was the word used but in a "nice" way. I hope it just busts up and hits the drink. Won't know until an hour or two before it happens if it is out of control and tumbling.

If it was launched on a Delta (that's what's documented) it's no larger than about 5 tons. It will be interesting to how all this turns out.

Vic

[edit on 4-2-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by V Kaminski

Vic , any comment on my previous post please ? i would be interested in your opinion.

thanks

snoopyuk

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by snoopyuk

YUP, USA 193. gonna pass over Thailand in a few minutes. That's "if" this really is USA 193. It sure says it is and matches what others are talking about... the data jives 5x5 with a Euro-source. This site logs you though eh... they know what sat your IP is watching... likely a db. Not a big deal... it's the Pentagon's internet anyway.

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 4-2-2008 by V Kaminski]

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join