It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defunct Spy Satellite Falling From Orbit

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I visited the discussion over at NASA... read about 6 or so pages. The OP states 20,000lbs. There is still some debate as the identity of the item. The OP gives some orbit details. Threre's a month or so... I expect this to continue to be of interest. I wonder if any questions will be raised in the various oversight committees? It has hit the MSM press. Why is this one not being ignored? A zillion questions.

Vic

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Interesting..

this is a strange situation on a number of fronts.

It could be a ploy to shut up the people that say "We have a space fleet out there that has reached other planets".. if that was the truth, why wouldn't this "space fleet" take this object out of the picture without public knowledge there was such an issue?

2: I hear a lot of China vs America issues and this would have been a perfect time to say that the debris caused by the Chinese satellite destruction caused this. Didn't happen though..

What a crock.. this is either covering something up or completely fabricated to cover something else up or it's just plain true and a lot of the other conspiracies are bunk.

As far as being able to confirm this satellite failing from the point of view of other countries: France and some other countries have already confirmed that they know of these satellites so I wouldn't see how a UFO could make it through the atmosphere, be shot down and be confused with a satellite. It's like people don't believe other countries have radar or their own spy equipment. This is going to happen in a month? The UFO being shot down is just waaaay too far fetched. Not after such an advanced warning to the world.

UFOs being shot down or recovered as a general statement is plausible, but not in this case.

b

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I'm glad that there is a post about this up on ATS.

Listen, this is gonna sound ridiculous, and probably pretty far out - but, none the less, I still want to share.

Who knows what the deeper meaning of what I'm about to share is, or whether it has a deeper meaning at all.

Last night, I had a dream that I was in an open field with some friends watching the sky, and there was something quickly descending that appeared to be of mechanical construction. I thought it was a satellite or a space station. It landed, and exploded like an atomic blast somewhere off in the distance.

Immediately, my dream shifted to people getting sick with mysterious illnesses that instantly rendered them dead. Everyone was panicked, attempting to flee the areas they were in, confused and not sure where to go.

The dream was terrifying as it also had the personal dimension of not being able to get in touch and connect with my brother.

---

So, I jump on news.google.com today, and I see this news story linked off the NYT. I damn near fell out of my chair.

I don't believe in coincidence, but I have no idea what this actually means.

Anybody have any interesting thoughts?

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by chucktaggart

I heard this news on the radio over in the UK and the first thought that sprung to my mind from what I have heard is that if the asteroid TU24 is negatively charged this would cause this type of effect on satellites.

Ill be keeping an eye on this as if the case then a lot of satellites might be disturbed although i dont have the faintest idea and am only going on speculation

Pretty strange though as this doesnt happen a lot.

To say the least, we all live in a truly once in a lifetime era, we have witnessed the first ever attack on new york, had a comet in the 90's that was clearly visible to the naked eye for around a month if i remember correctly, witnessed the iraq invasion, learned of a tsunami and witnessed the horrific negligence of government protection through the form of new orleans just to name a few.

Heck the more I think of it what would truly shock people these days anyways as you can just change the channel if it stirs any sort of feeling.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by McKennalite

I dont perticulary believe you on this one however I have read of a new virus that could wipe out around 95 percent of the population which im sure most ats members will know of or have heard of, it is briefly mentioned in the ENDGAME documentry.
The reason i am sceptical is because you could easily have watched this documentry and made up this story however if true then you have maybe recieved a bit of an insight. Use it.

cheers

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I hope that spy satellite lands in the ocean, rather than 1 of our homes. I don't know if it will harm any of us, but we should definitely look out for it.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Hi all,

This is bloody weird - all of it.

I'm going to let the conspiratorial part of my brain do the talking for the first bit and then the last I'll try and give some sort of intelligent response / opinion.

1. I don't believe ANYTHING on the television, absolutely everything we see has been opinionised in some way - its from the perspective of some entity that wants people to know only what they're allowed - but I don't need to tell you guys this! My basic meaning is that I agree that this is a cover up for something else, maybe already happening that's out of their control and therefore must fabricate some story to justify or alternatively something that they are planning on doing i.e. controlled virus for population control or maybe testing a new warhead.

2. (and lastly based upon this being a true event) There is a huge chance of foreign bacteria coming down with the satellite. I'm sure any external bacteria will be removed by the atmosphere but anything that gets inside the satellite may make it through. Now I'd be very wary of the bacteria entering our water supply - literally we'd be buggered!

Who knows what's going to happen, maybe something maybe nothing time will tell I suppose - but there's nowt wrong with being prepared for the worst we seem to be getting good at that.

Interesting post, waiting to see what happens!

Cheers

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Terric

Assuming the story is true, how is it that there wasn't an issue with the other man-made space objects when they fell from orbit?

The other thing i have problem with, is that if it was true (and not a cover for something else) why give us so much time in advance, when we didn't hear a peep about the asteroid on the MSM until this weekend with 3-4 days advance of the pass?

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by LwSiX

All good questions - to be honest I have no idea!

Maybe someone leaked information out which the media got hold of, maybe it was tailored by the government to use a falling satellite as a scapegoat for something else i.e. a new warhead, controlled demolition etc.

I've always taken everything in the media with a pinch of salt - everything is exaggerated a great deal in order to gain viewers (I believe the word is Hyperbole) and why not it seems to operate as a "business" after all rather than a "public must know the truth" medium.

I don't know - what does everyone else think about the media coverage? Do you guys think that they're acting in our interests to make us aware of a potential problem or is it again just "Hyperbole" to boost ratings and cause another bout of public hysteria.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by LwSiX

Depending on how you define the word issue, there have been plenty of issues with satellites and other space debris re-entering the Earth's atmosphere. According to Nuclear Space, a group which advocates for the use of nuclear power sources in spacecraft, a list of accidents/incidents involving re-entering radioactive material includes the following:

For the United States:

1) One DoD satellite powered by a SNAP (Space Nuclear Auxiliary Power)-9A plutonium RTG. The satellite failed to reach orbit on April 24, 1964, and resulted in the release of the plutonium into the atmosphere.

For the Soviet Union:

1) One 1969 COSMOS mission which failed to reach orbit. This incident resulted in the release of the RTGs radioactive material into Earth's atmosphere.

2) A second 1969 COSMOS mission which failed to properly initiate a burn which would have sent it into lunar orbit. Again, the RTGs in question burned up in the atmosphere and released radioactivity.

3) The launch failure of a 1973 RORSAT (Radar Ocean Reconnaissance SATellite) with an on-board nuclear reactor. This incident resulted in the release of radioactivity.

4) Another COSMOS mission - this one powered by a nuclear reactor - failed a burn which would have put it in a "nuclear safe-storage" orbit - that is, an orbit high enough that it would not decay for thousands of years. The satellite re-entered in 1978 and the reactor survived re-entry, crashing in Canada and releasing radioactivity. A joint recovery/cleanup operation was reportedly successful.

5) Another COSMOS mission - this one reportedly a RORSAT (the Soviets labeled pretty much anything a COSMOS mission) - with another nuclear reactor on board failed to reach a proper orbit in 1982 and re-entered the atmosphere in 1983. Again, radioactivity was released into the atmosphere.

So there we go. That's just incidents involving nuclear material, and then only the incidents that we know about. There could possibly have been others the public is currently unaware of - although any incident resulting in the release of respectable amounts of radiation into the atmosphere would be detectable by many people and organizations in many different countries, so there's little likelyhood such an incident could be covered up forever.

If we expand the scope of the discussion to include other hazardous but non-nuclear materials, the list grows too long to mention. Many satellites include maneuvering thrusters powered by hypergolic fuels, and these fuels are usually carcinogenic. Then there are spent upper stages of rockets - also possibly powered by hypergolics - satellites whose construction might include materials like mercury and lead...

Well, you get the idea. Other info is available from Space.com, and there are other resources out there. Google is your friend.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by PhloydPhan

Right, radioactivity, ok i was talking more along the lines of what some others have mentioned about some "world ending" bacteria. Sorry if i wasn't clear, but thanks you have been quite informative.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by chucktaggart

I hope we just do the right thing and grab on to this spy satellite
with a Lockheed Martin Starship. Don't explain it. Just do it.
Throw out "No Comments".

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I wonder what Mr. Lear thinks about this? Plus the timing of it too

I am sure as some of the last posts have stated, that the Gov can dispose of it.
Crazy idea, sorry, could they just use another Sat and give it a nudge or something

[edit on 28-1-2008 by crackerjack]

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Why not just capture it before it becomes a hazard? I guess this goes to show how fresh and unprepared our space agencies really are. After all, in order to stage even something so simple as a retrieval mission, it would take months of planning and billions of dollars blah blah. Don't we already have available craft, trained personel, fuel, a boom arm to grab with, huge bay area to hold said cargo, and a way back, all with a portable launch pad? Yes we do, so what's the point if we can't put it to use for the small stuff like this too? If they destroyed it, it would create a potential hazard for the other 4000 satellites above Earth. We also have a space station, which I'm sure has some sort of tether apparatus they could use, right? Of course that would make sense on a useful space station. Maybe they could use a non-operating, but still powered satellite to bump it into a manageable direction? I guess I'm just frustrated with the lack of direction shown by pretty much all of the world space agencies. With all of these resources, what is so hard about launch-grab-return? If they can fix Hubble, surely they can grab this and bring it back safely.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   

I heard this news on the radio over in the UK and the first thought that sprung to my mind from what I have heard is that if the asteroid TU24 is negatively charged this would cause this type of effect on satellites.

Strange correlation that the MSM is talking of TU24 and this "falling satellite" at the same time. Since this is a conspiracy site and all... it just makes me wonder, is there possibly any connection between these stories? I'm gonna put on my tin hat, partake in an adult beveridge and entertain you in a bizarre thought that just crossed my mind.

What if, for some strange reason this falling sat story is being used for some sort of cover for the TU24 incident? Maybe the people at NASA and the NRO are scratching eachothers backs on this one.... just in case one large object thing just happens to make a crash landing, generates a large EMP that effectively disables a small metropolitan area, and leaves a smoldering crater behind? I'm sure people would be gathering around taking souveniers... but if someone said "Oh its radioactive!" I'm sure it would be alot easier to contain the area after that.... After all, it so secret they told us it was secret, and therefore cannot tell us any more. ?

If is is soooo uber-secret, why tell us that it's a secret in the first place?

I know the timeline is way off on the dates of the sat de-orbit and TU24, but it is just a thought.... maybe someone out there knows better than us.

Cheers,
T.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by thesaint
Man first they scare us half to death with TU24. Now the panic dying down over that they tell us "a Sat will be falling down and we dont know where"

I imagine they could knock it out with some sort of missile but i tend to believe they have more hi tech stuff that would enable this job done.

What type of velocity would this come down at?????

Fit Sats with remote distruction that can be activated from earth thats what i say.

The scare over TU24 was entirely due to paranoid speculation by people on sites like this. The authorities said nothing cos TU24 was going to miss us.

The Chinese are good at destroying satellites maybe the US could ask them for a favour

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Not to be a total and complete buzzkill, but here's the Wiki for Beryllium poisoning....

en.wikipedia.org...

Hmm... if this satellite ( or pertinent parts thereof) were to land in a city's water supply...shudder..
"Wormwood", anyone?

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I don't think it's NRO L-21 - that was projected to take decades to fall. My bet is that it's MISTY-2 the stealth spy sat that's coming down. you may remember the MISTY program got a little news coverage late 2004. it was launched in 99 and around now would fit with the projected likely lifespan of it's orbit.

[edit on 28-1-2008 by darue]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I saw in the US news (i get it in the UK) that it is as big as a Greyhound Bus.

Question: Could this be a Big Bird?

They are as big as those types of buses, though I don't know if they are still some in orbit. Presumably another user can tell me if they are.

[edit on 28-1-2008 by UK Alien Buff]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
This morning I heard that it was launched Dec. 2006. (Don't know if its true)

That they lost command of it almost immediately.
That while they did not have control communications, it was not dead.

To my way of thinking that mean they were getting data, they just couldn't control it.

[shrugs]

Ref

[edit on 1/28/08 by makeitso]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join