It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defunct Spy Satellite Falling From Orbit

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Just had US193 go overhead, visible thru binocs and/or eye, right on time. bright, single object.

-scrap

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Hey Vic... there you are! I just knew you wouldn't leave us hanging...lol
Well... it's very, very bright, it looks pissed,much. much better than last night (or closer, as I determine it) and it's got a big, looooong, tail tonight. I am trying to process pics as I type...CanonS3IS...not too good for the night shots, and I've never tried night shots, but the moon is indeed awesome...I hope at least something comes out of this. The eclipse shots should be "pissah"... ( to quote a NH/New England phrase).
Off to get shots of Saturn, and the eclipse...bye for now, all

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
DoD spokes-head Morel dropped a jumbo Freudian... "This test, or rather (correcting himself) this operation... blah, blah, President, public safety, blah, blah". This is an ASAT test, period. Next time Dr. Porter is around to speak at UofT... some kids might have some pretty good questions about IARPA's role in this on both ends... LOL.

Vic

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by althea041724

Good for you al'!!! The tail would "jive" with what the Russkies are saying... way lower than the 150-ish miles... certain sites have as a datum. It won't matter... I sooo hope they miss at least once (and no one is injured). You gotta know that the "Bear" will have the Bears in the air, nicely equipped. Bet they have a trick or two. Salut.

Vic

[edit on 20-2-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
if there was a tail it was not apparent with the naked eye, nor my 15x70's.

-Not saying it wasnt there however. I just didnt see one. Its motion from its max altitude was pretty quick. A glance down to my cell phone for time check lost it in the north east horizon.

The object was 'very' bright - brighter than the visible line of 3 stars it passed just north of - the first of which I believe was Mirpack? in (Perseus) or the brights in the Andromedia line of Pegasus?

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
3 maybe 4 orbits until the "best pass"... headin' NE to NA right now... Alinghi crew's got new toys... me too.

Vic

7:32PM EST crossin' Baja.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
There's a 10 second window to take the shot. And conditions aren't good for taking it tonight. They're having high swells out by Hawaii, and that's making the shot harder for them. Every night they have a 10 second window to fire, but it's for about the next 9 or 10 nights.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I really wonder if the Yanks have the techno-jam to get anything right this century... let alone policy. No space weapon... but it could violate the 1967 treaty those punks signed. Not that'd bother the current regime. I'm sure they have fancy "Dooey, Takum and Howe" lawyers and all their "friends" (Israel) for backup. Pick up the pieces...

I hope they miss... more than once, damn sure Moscow will LOVE that. Me too.

Vic

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by V Kaminski

Hey Vic,

I have been following and just reading this thread post by post....most interesting. If you or anyone finds some video or transcript on the DOD "test" speech please post a link. Just wondering where you saw this.

Also, has anyone figured out why this particular sat poses a threat when it comes down whereas, the other plunks from the sky with similar fuel setups have not been an issue? Great information from all of the posters on this thread. Thank you for the information, as always, that you and others bring to this site.

Back to reading again....and getting ready to howl at the moon.

Peace.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Because the others were at the end of their lifetime and had used up all the fuel. This one didn't use ANY fuel, and the tank MAY survive reentry. It is also speculated that it has a VERY advanced detection system on board that we don't want anyone to get their hands on.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
according to heavens-above.com, the satellite will be coming quite close to hawaii. I think that's where the ships are going to be. If the weather has calmed down the high seas they were having, it could happen tonight eh?

Tela

edited: for spelling

[edit on 2/20/2008 by Telafree]

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
All three ships involved are based at Pearl Harbor. That's why the shot is coming out near Hawaii. They're having high swells right now that make it look not so good for tonight. With such a small window the conditions have to be pretty good. They haven't said no shot for tonight, but they're saying it's not likely unless things change pretty quick. It's 8:17pm EST and the shot was scheduled for about 10:30EST.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by scrapple

See, last night, DH swore he saw the tail, and I couldn't, no matter how hard i tried to spot it...maybe I just kind of made myself look for it tonight, or expected it, dunno. Not sure where you are, but I am in NH and definitely saw the streak...

Vic... you better hope they do get it first time out... I am most assuredly NOT ready to scrap out satellite out of my back yard! hahahaha.

Are we all pretty much in agreeance that even tho "they " say they don't think they'll get the shot, that "they" will take it anyway? (Or "someone" will take the shot...

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Actually I heard it on "the World at 6" a Canadian radio news program... they sometimes post stuff on their website, www.cbc.ca... You may be able to catch the pacific edition or it may turn up on the TV on CBC National... same website. I think buddy's name was Jeff Morel.

They had some stuff by FAS's Pike too... not very flattering stuff. Ain't no hydrazine tank gonna make it down shot or not. Maybe a titanium bulkhead, that's it for anything of any real mass. That's pure fantasy by those who defend such things as wars and war fighting and "patriotism". What a riot. This is an ASAT test, nothing more. Weather? I guess they hope for good weather when the hard rain really falls? LOL. This is the best fun... since Bush gave his Halifax '04 speech. Uni-digital salute to herr Bush then and now.

They just want to protect their SAR tech... old SAR-tech. The Iranians must be laughing their asses off. BTW: Happy Persian New Year!!! (Sunday).

Gates, what a cry-baby of an asset. NATO? What NATO? Keep it up buckaroo... we're counting on your incompetence to save the planet.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Old SAR tech? I guess within the last 2-3 years is old is it? This is an entirely new system that is on this satellite that there are very few details about out there, and only if you know the right places to look.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by V Kaminski
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

This is an ASAT test, nothing more.
Vic

As I am a newb to the message board, I ask if you could expound on that. What is an ASAT test?

Tela

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

I found this earlier today.. extremely informative, but I have no way of knowing if it's in fact the truth:
blog.wired.com...
Basically, it's a mega billion dollarpiece of ka-ka that we were told probably wouldn't work from the get-go...

[edit on 20-2-2008 by althea041724] to fix link

[edit on 20-2-2008 by althea041724]

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Telafree

Anti-Satellite Weapons. The first US ASAT weapon was launched from an F-15, and developed in the 70s/early 80s. They sucessfully shot down a satellite in 1985 with it, and then cancelled the program.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by althea041724

Not quite sure what you're going for there with that comment.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Yeah, looking in the "right" places does help. Althea's good at finding "right" places.
The US military? Yeah, the "right" place... LOL. I love the the manner in which the US military manages things from the "right" places. Wink.

Vic

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join