It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-Guantanamo Bay Prisoners demand payout!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Ex-Guantanamo Bay Prisoners demand payout!

www.reuters.com

KHARTOUM (Reuters) - A group of Sudanese released from the U.S. prison in Guantanamo Bay demanded cash payouts and an apology from the United States on Saturday, for mental and physical torture suffered during years spent in jail there.

"We have asked for compensation and an apology," aid worker Adil Hassan Hamad told a conference in Khartoum, which was organized by local rights groups to demand the release of seven Sudanese still held at Guantanamo Bay.

Hamad, freed just over one month ago, wore orange overalls like those worn by detainees in the U.S. prison camp. He was working with refugees when arrested in Pakistan in 2002 and taken to Afghanistan and then the U.S. camp in Cuba.

He said his U.S. lawyer would seek compensation in the U.S. courts. One of Hamad's daughters died during his detention because his wife could not afford medical treatment. Two other inmates were also seeking compensation, he said.

Washington has designated Guantanamo prisoners, who were mainly seized in Afghanistan after the 2001 U.S. invasion, as "enemy combatants" and denied them prisoner-of-war status that would guarantee them certain rights under international law.

Many attending the Khartoum conference broke down in tears when addressed by the wife of al Jazeera journalist Sami al-Hajj, the most high-profile of the around 300 detainees still in the prison on the Caribbean island.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Yikes...This could get ugly. My guess is they will either be paid off quietly, or if it makes it far in the legal system, our corrupt supreme court will throw it out. Either way, I doubt our media will give this a lot of coverage, as a lot of ugly things will likely be exposed that TPTB don't want people to know.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I won't post my first thoughts on this as I would be banned for language abuse.

Let these clowns clog our legal system with more frivolous laws suits seeking damages suffered while not involved in a war against our solders. Only in America would we even begin to consider this let alone treat it seriously.

This kind of action has to end at some point. If we had killed them instead, would their families be suing us for wrongful deaths?

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
well i'm all for compansation for those that have suffered at the hands of bushes wishes.....including a load of men and boys that have had all of their human rights violated and have suffered years of abuse. good on them

and before anyone missinterperets my motives, i believe that two wrongs dont make a right.
m x

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by hinky

maybe we should lock you and your Family up for a few years in some god forsaken place without evidence and then release you guys because our kind hearts wanted us to,

then when you come up and ask for compensation because of what you went through we can dismiss it as its only a clown, it means nothing.

Most these people that have been locked up because they were in the wrong place or because they were handed in by some tribe to the US.

most these people have been locked up since 2001+ without a fair trial and NOT found guilty and have slowly been released. and have every right to Persue legal actions against the US.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Totally true, but with the way our 'legal' system is being ran nowadays, I'm not sure these guys will get very far. They will need representation the likes of the late Johnny Cochran to get past our corrupt system-particularly when we're dealing with international law, which our leaders are notorious for superceding.

[edit on 26-1-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Preach on brother . I dont know what that guy was thinking when he posted that . But WOW. Star for you man

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by hinky
Let these clowns clog our legal system with more frivolous laws suits seeking damages suffered while not involved in a war against our solders. Only in America would we even begin to consider this let alone treat it seriously.

Don't you think they have a point? The fact that they have been freed means that the US government has no axe to grind against them. If thats the case, why imprison them without trial in the first place?

This kind of action has to end at some point. If we had killed them instead, would their families be suing us for wrongful deaths?

I agree it has to end, but not in the way you suggest. The better ending would be the closure of the camp, and fair trials. What you are advocating there is the killing of innocents, and yes, the families would be perfectly at liberty to seek prosecution for it. The killing of an innocent civilian would be murder.

[edit on 26/0108/08 by neformore]

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Enjoyed reading the comments. No one will change anyone's mind, and that is fair.

Let these terrorists file a lawsuit in their own country so they can be paid in Rupees or whatever the hell they use. This is nothing more than a lawyer scam to make money and make cheap points in politics in an election year.

new topics

top topics

join