It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Malware on Picture Frames

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Malware on Picture Frames

www.sfgate.com

Malicious software code has turned up on a wide range of popular electronics, from digital photo frames to compact flash cards to MP3 players - even MP3-playing sunglasses - and retailers are scrambling to respond.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
It is sad that this is happening, but it was only a matter of time. I still never understood the point of designing stuff like this.

www.sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I personally made my own frame from an old laptop and a few eeproms .
I dont see why somone would pay for these things that they could easily make themselfs . But i would hardly view this stuff as a major threat .

Or do you mean the malware? (Sorry theres a buch of paranoid people here)
If so . It is a shame .
They did a thing on the British show "the real hustle" Sort of like this . Infecting things at the store can get you a "target demographic" i would guess its better to steal a local guys identity than some guy around the world . Either way its pretty crappy :/

[edit on 26-1-2008 by oLDWoRLDDiSoRDeR]

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I seem to remember an issue of M$ software going out with malware/spyware already preinstalled.

Now one, I have no problems believing this at all.

Two, as far as I see it, we have but one real question to answer.
Who added the spyware/malware, M$ (Microsoft) or the retail stores???

Of course, no one will be found guilty,and it will be ascribed to a lone nut...sound familar???

I believe that that memory car in the frame "SHOULD" be seen as a drive that can be checked by anti-virus/antispy/malware and even defrag it.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

Sony had the rootkit. Dont remember Micro$haft doing it but i may have missed that using linux :p
If it uses a usb connection . Or has a removable card . It will detect as a removable drive.
I believe thats why they recommend you format when you first get any new drive . Be it removable or internal. I would think that external hdds would be the bigest threat as they come pre-formated in alot of cases . Making an initial format unnecessary.

So i would guess they could just leave the stuff un-formated . And it would be a bit less user friendly but safer.

top topics

join