It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin affirms support for Kosovo stance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Putin affirms support for Kosovo stance

www.news.com.au

RUSSIAN President Vladimir Putin showed his support for Serbia's position on Kosovo at a Kremlin meeting with Serbian counterpart Boris Tadic, where they also signed a major energy accord between the two nations.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I think it is a good move for Serbia and Russia, looks like Kosovo will not get their independence.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
It's a tough one this one.

On one side, you have the UN charter guaranteeing indigenous peoples the right to self determination, but on the other, could Albanians be regarded as an indigenous people in the context of Kosovo? After all, they didn't use to be the majority population, historically.

Personally, I think Russia will use it's bargaining power within the EU, especially Germany who have (foolishly) tied themselves so close to energy supplies from Russia that they are in their pocket. I think the best Kosovo could hope for is autonomy within a greater Serbian state, otherwise it may lead to a re-ignition of the conflict.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

You are comletely right on this one, the Albanian population started immigrating to Kosovo starting in 1958, I know several people from Prishtina which is the capital of Kosovo, in 1997 it used to have around 400,000 serbians living in Prishtina, right now it is really little.

Most serbs relocated, many historical things such as 700 year old orthodox churches were burned by Albanians and it was even shown on local Albanian Tv, it is very shocking, and US administration calling Serbs savages? this is ridiculous, 1st NATO split up Yugoslavia in 1994 when Yugoslavian president died and now they want 15% of Serbian territory to be given to Albanians, I am definitely disagree with NATO and many countries who support Kosovo's independence.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
The only reason that the US is backing Kosovo independence is to tweak the Russians' noses.

I don't fully understand why so many people in the administration (and their cohorts in the UK) never stopped fighting the Cold War. I'd guess it's because their fear-based politics requires creating new threats to justify our absurd defense expenditures...

join