It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abandoned psych ward

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
(Wasn't quite sure if this was allowed, looking around at the topics already posted, so if it isn't...uhh...sorry? x_X)

So there's an abandoned psych ward down by where I live and just this monday we found a way in.
It's pitch black in there and we were completely unprepared, as we don't usually go wandering through abandoned places unplanned, so all we had were our cellphones.
My boyfriend, of course, went charging around the room in the pitch bloody dark and found a pencil sharpener with pencil shavings in it
They looked fresh
Anyway, by that time I was (understatement) unnerved so I wanted out.

So we're planning on going back with flashlights and a handful of people (there were only three of us) for a longer, and hopefully more paranormal, experience.

So as well I was wondering if any of you had suggestions for gear for our possibly haunted excursion

There will be anywhere between four and six of us, and we aern't planning on separating, but the hole is rather small so nothing large

What we're already planning on bringing:
Canon EOS 40D
Film video camera
(if we can get it) digital video camera
Flashlights

I'd also like to say that this isn't illegal x_X
We aern't planning on doing any harm to the place either.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Something to pick up sounds that can't be heard by human ears. (The actual name of the tool escapes me). Something to detect sudden changes in temperature would be good too.
Walkie talkies in case you get separated. Water, just to keep hydrated. Also, if you plan on making more then one trip, have someone draw out a simple map. That way, you can explore more as you go.

Do research before you go in though. See if there were any murders, accidental deaths, that sorta thing. Also, you need to be safe. Tie yourselves together with ropes, so if the floor breaks lose, you can pull them back up.

[edit on (1/25/0808 by Hexidecimal]

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hexidecimal
Something to pick up sounds that can't be heard by human ears.

[edit on (1/25/0808 by Hexidecimal]

I'm sure you don't have the cash for high tech equiptment. Just bring a normal tape recorder, you'd be amazed listening to it after the thing you didn't hear live.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Actually right after I'd posted this I decided it might be a good idea to look up prices for digital audio recorders. Also, I started looking for a map today.
None yet.
We can easily draw a map of the outside and figure things out from there, because we know our entry point.
The thing I'm most worried about is getting lost in there x_X

I've just started on the research aspect, but there isn't much to be found. So few people know about it anyway, and even then most of what I can find isn't information about when it was running.
I have yet to find anything beyond that it used to be a psych ward and is now abandoned, but I'm still looking.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Where is this psych ward located?

Be aware that trespassing is illegal even if you're not doing any damage. Not that you'll be sent to prison for it most likely, but figured I'd give ya the heads up there. Also be aware that there are many unseen dangers in wandering around abandoned buildings. A friend of mine went through a floor in an old factory and broke his leg.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Don't forget to bring a lawyer.

You'll need one if you are arrested for trespassing or worse, breaking and entering.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I've asked the owner of the building and he said that it's fine, so I'm not tresspassing or breaking and entering

that's why I said it's not illegal

Anyway, the floor's actually really solid, so I doubt falling through floors is a big problem, but we're planning on being careful anyway

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Stepping away from the paranormal for a bit and coming back to reality, be carefull down there.

Make sure the area isn't used by homeless and/or junkies needing a quick fix. They could obviously be the same thing, homeless and using drugs. Also, be carefull where you're stepping. The last thing you want to be doing is stepping down/or falling onto a 'used' needle.

If you found a way in, potentially other people have done as well.

[edit on 28-1-2008 by Arawn]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I was hoping you would say the old Pilgrim State Asylum on Long Island...That place just looks evil...and in the dark - no way would I go in. I heard friends and friends of friends talk about going onto the site at night and weird stuff happening.

here is a link for some pics - during the daylight of course.
b.f11.org...

click on Set 1 on the photo - that one freaks me out.

PS - Have a good lawyer.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Arawn:
Well it is in a uhh.... Rather druggie infested city
We're smack in the middle of the drug route between NYC and canada so we've got a big drug problem x_X

that was the idea with going whilst it's still cold out

It's pretty warm inside, but I doubt it's used as a drug house in the winter
Plus there are so many others already in 'legal' places, I don't know why they'd bother

Our planned 'team' by chance includes at least one, if not two, big tall guys XD so we've got the look anyway.

and harddrive21:

I've gotten permission from the owner, so I shouldn't have any problems with that.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightGenius

You're not talking about the old Hudson River Psych Hospital are you?! The one that burned?

[edit on 1/30/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightGenius

I have a few questions.

If you died in a mental hospital, and could then go anywhere else in the universe, why would you still be hanging out there?

Also, why do people also think that ghosts hang out in cemetaries? I just don't understand why people would think that ghosts would want to hang out around a bunch of dead bodies.

I have never searched for any ghosts, but I would think you would find more in a place where they had fond memories, if any were to stick around.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightGenius

I've gotten permission from the owner, so I shouldn't have any problems with that.

just curious as to the whole "i know the owner of that quaint little abandoned psych ward down the road" story.

[edit on 30-1-2008 by aaaauroraaaaa]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Enthralled Fan
I have a few questions.

If you died in a mental hospital, and could then go anywhere else in the universe, why would you still be hanging out there?

Well as for mental hospitals, they usually aren't pleasurable places are they? In most instances, there's pain and suffering, the loss of not being able to have contact with your families, sometimes even drugs to calm you down and the mental torture that you would place on yourself. Guilt, depression and 'what not.'

So therefore, imagine all the energy that would have been built up within the woodwork. If you believe in the 'stonetape theory' where energy gets stored into the buildings foundations over time, then replays itself at certain points throughout the year, then it's no wonder why energy would be felt...in whatever way it chooses to. As for actual ghosts themselves, well as I pointed out, with all that depression, self torture and loneliness in a lot of older mental hospitals (they are cleaner and better these days) then it's no wonder why they could possibly hang around.

Also, why do people also think that ghosts hang out in cemetaries? I just don't understand why people would think that ghosts would want to hang out around a bunch of dead bodies.

This one is spot on though. Ghosts really wouldn't hang out in cemeteries, and most 'ghost hunters' would say the same.

They probably wouldn't have ever visited the place in their lifetime, and they wouldn't have a strong bond with the place from the physical realm. Yes, their body could have been laid to rest there, but by the time of burial the soul would have long gone left the body. Obviously people who have been buried not in consecrated land would feel let down because their body isn't someplace holy, but as for cemeteries, I can't see many ghosts wanting to be around there! As you pointed out, why would you haunt a damp, miserable place that holds no memories? It just doesn't make sense.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Jack in the box: No, I'm not. I didn't even know about that one o.O

Enthralled Fan: Well there's what Arawn said, and as well I expect there may be residual hauntings.
Also, if you watch Sci-Fi and have seen Ghost Hunters, they investigated the Weberly Hills Sanitorium. Tuberculosis hospital. Why'd you want to hang out there, either. They do, clearly.

aaaauroraaaaa: I didn't know him. There's a website with contact information and I got to him that way.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Arawn

Thanks for the reply. I appreiciate it. So it's not a ghost perhaps, but the energy that is left behind, if I understand you correctly.

MidnightGenius,

Well, if you believe that "Ghost Hunters" show, hmmmm. I think I saw that episode, which may have been the only one I have been able to sit nearly all the way through. Have they ever had any definate proof or evidence on that show? I would like to know what episodes you could suggest watching for that, so I don't have to sit through the rest of the boring, ridiculous stuff they do. Also, if they were successful, wouldn't it stand to reason that it would be front page news?

Thanks

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by harddrive21

Cool photos. Very photoshopped with a "cross process" treatment to give it a moody feeling. A bit overdone on the softening effect, but definitely gives the right mood

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Enthralled Fan: The Weberly Hills sanatorium episode is good, as well as the live investigation.
Also the hotel where they shot 'The Shining' They did both a regular and a live investigation.
My favourite episodes are the St. Augustine Lighthouse episodes. They did two of them and caught things both times.

Also, probably the episode that creeps me out the most is the one where they caught a defined figure on a thermal image camera, and were completely unable to replicate it in any way.
I'm not sure exactly which one it was, but it was a hotel of some sort I believe.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Usually for breaking and entering to be successful, you have to be entering either 1) an occupied dwelling/structure or 2) a dwelling/structure with some object of monetary value.

For the most part, the worst charge you'd get is a criminal trespass which is usually just a ticket, if anything at all.

Not that I'm encouraging trespassing, just trying to give you a heads up on the law. I was a kid once you know...

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
If you have permission from the owner i would suggest going during the day to get an idea of the layout, it will make it much easier later to know where you are in the pitch black.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join