It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dying in Your Dreams

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Hello,

I am sure many of us have heard people say that "when you die in your dreams, you die in real life".

Personally, I have experienced death in my dreams on multiple ocassions and it hurts. If my dreams are accurate, then I know what it feels like to get run over by a bulldozer, die in a plane crash, get stabbed in the gut, electrocuted and burned alive. If the myth is correct, then I should be dead in real life, but I obviously am not.

I have never heard of anyone else who claims that they remember dying in a dream. So I am just curious as to how many of you all have or have not died in your dreams before.

[edit on 25-1-2008 by leira7]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I've died quiet a few times in my dreams in many many ways, everything from "realistic" pain/physics to where it was almost like a video game with "extra lives." I've learned once you reach a certain level of lucidity you realize that "pain" doesn't exist and it is actually yet another concept being relayed to you through your subconscious.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Hello , I find this thread rather interesting . Although i have never died in my dreams before , i did encounter a co-worker once that did tell me he would die in his dreams alot . Some of the stuff u mentioned , he also experienced . I was curious so i aked about his real life is or was like , and he said it was filled with alot of violence . Very angry lifestyle he had , beating people up and living in negitivity for far too long . From what i gathered though was that he had a lot of fears though. Makes u wonder ...

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Personally, I think that if someone has a traumatic enough dream, it can cause a heart attack... then death.

Otherwise, it's just a dream.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I've died in a dream once. Fell off a sky scraper. I remember falling and actually decided to roll over and land on my back so as not to mess up my face. That didn't work. When I hit the ground there wasn't much of a body left to look at. I stood up and looked down on it and realized I was dead. I started walking down the street and trying to find a phone so I could call someone and let them know I was dead. I finally found a phone but then I woke up. Looking back I wonder just what I would have said to whomever I called.

There was more to the dream but it's not important.

I can say from experience that if you die in your dreams, that does not mean you will die in real life.

wupy

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
my head was ripped apart with just one bite by a tiger when i was young in my dream of course , and i had dreams too were i would be falling from the sky and when i hit the ground i would wake up the same goes with downing but thoses dreams looked real i could even feel the cold water in my body

[edit on 25-1-2008 by dracodie]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Old wives tale.
Pure and simple.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
dreams in my opinion are like a sandbox game were you play inside your mind and you can do anything you want you just have to learn to control your dreams.

oops double post

[edit on 25-1-2008 by dracodie]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
dreams in my opinion are like a sandbox game were you play inside your mind and you can do anything you want you just have to learn to control your dreams

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by dracodie

Yep I think it's a taste of the beyond.
Should you decide not to stick around (IE be reborn).

I really must learn to edit my work before posting.

[edit on 25-1-2008 by WraothAscendant]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I agree nothing more than an urban myth. However I did have one dream where I was stabbed, and bled to death. I continued on as a spirit, and even read my own eulogy. Weird stuff.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I've died 4 times throughout my life in dreams.

1 Drove off a cliff in a white bronco. No lie, and no relation to you know who. Rose up and watched the ambulance coming for me.

2 Fell off a cliff at the coast, and hit the rocks. Rose up to see myself lying there.

3 Chased a white mountain goat up a cliff, only to reach an old shack at the top. The goat didn't go in, but I did. The shack was so old that I could see the mountain goat walk by through cracks between the boards. In the middle of the room was a table, and laying on top was a silver brief case. I walked over and opened it. It went click, and exploded. Boom! Again, I rose up to see the mountain goat standing there, and the shack nothing more than splinters in the air.

The last one was recent. I was in a cruise ship terminal. I could hear this tremendous storm out side, and the rooms were closing like doors with a bang, and behind them what was left was being destroyed. I had to look and see, but everyone was shouting: "No, don't do it." I didn't listen, so I ran up and opened the door to one of the rooms, and I thought, oh crap, I knew I was finished, and had the life sucked right out of me. I didn't rise up, but I woke up. However, I went right back to the dream, and spent the whole night in a place I can't explain. There was a dog that kept pushing me, and would not let me stay.

The wierd thing is after the first one, you kind of understand that you are not dead. However, when I do go, in a dream is my biggest wish.

PS I just noticed something while previewing that I've never thought of. 3 dreams involved cliffs. Thanks OP. I think I will avoid cliffs from now on!
This is better than therapy.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Last spring/summer I was having some problems that caused me to have extremely violent, realistic nightmares for 4-5 months, nearly every night. In those dreams I died (usually painfully) by being stabbed, falling into a giant trash-compactor, being nailed to a board, being cannibalized/ eaten alive, being burned alive and by falling into hard things many, many times when I started lucidly dreaming and realized I could end my dreams by jumping off of something high up and causing my own death in the dream.
I'm still alive.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Wow, and I thought my dreams were problematic!

Perhaps, these dreams can be further examined to reveal something about yourself that you may not have known as vrkmaverick said, I do think that my dreams could possibly been a result of fear. At times, I am able to control my dreams dracodie, and I notice that when i begin to think that something bad will happen, it usually does. So I suppose thinking positive while currently in a dream may help to avoid the occasional pain of death. leafdarking , don't know why anyone would willing jump off buildings to end a dream... kudos?.....lol

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I have died in dreams before, and I am still alive.

Once I drowned in a dream, and it was a painful, miserable experience. Then, it was followed by a really strange, peaceful feeling. Nothing hurt anymore, and I was completely okay with what was happening. The feeling was so peaceful and pleasant, that I felt like it was really worth it to have gone through the horror of drowning.

Since I have had that dream, and it was so realistic and vivid, I really am not afraid to die. I am not in any hurry to do it, I am just not scared about it happening.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by leira7

Dying is good, in dreams as long as you accept it, it will give you a great insight about your life at present at the other side, little signs that signal for the areas of your life that create discomfort. Is a sign for change and renewal.

Long live the sleeping Bear!!!

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Hey,

I don't think I've heard of that saying you quoted. In fact, I do remember some of my dreams well and have died in some of them. It was actually painless, it didn't feel a thing at all, I think it was like fading into darkness when dying. But then again, I don't know, they're just dreams...

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Nobody will probably read this post, but ill give it a shot. Basically think about that comment "if you die in your dreams you will die in real life". Now im assuming that the myth refers to the concept that youll die imediatley in your sleep? Basing my comment on that reference point, how would anybody know if someone died because they died in their dream
. Just thought id point that out... anyways onto my main point. Dreams are rather complex, from my standpoint i deal with meditation and past life regressions. We all have had past lives, and i have found through many of my clients and myself, that the dreams are related to past life instances. Often its the natural way to release "karma" or emotional attachments. Iv also had experiences where dreams came true, so prophetic dreams. Iv also had dreams where they are plain twisted and you can manipulate them. I have the strong belief that the dream world is just that, a world, we enter it, and sometimes we are in control of what we see, sometimes we go there to search for something. The aboriginals of many different nations often practiced entering a "dream" state, basically a deep meditation state either created through hallucinagenics, or extreme physical exertion, they would come out of the trances with the answers they required. Perhaps when you are entering this state you are seeing your other "shards"... basically meaning that this is not the only point of time existing, that you have several selves existing all at once, but experiencing totally different things, perhaps when you dream you witness what they are experiencing. I could go on and on, but to be honest i doubt youll believe most of this post, BUT if it tickles your imagination dont hesitate to respond

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by newage2012
I have the strong belief that the dream world is just that, a world, we enter it, and sometimes we are in control of what we see, sometimes we go there to search for something.

I do think at times, I have entered another world/realm. I remember all of my dreams (some better than others) and have never recalled not dreaming in my life. I know how it feels to follow along with the story line of a dream and mindlessly wonder around, I also know how to take control and start dreaming lucidly, but there is another type of dream that I have rarely encountered that is different. Perhaps this is what the aboriginals experienced when they entered trances.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I was shot in the head once and the experience was rather realistic.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join