It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interrogator: Invasion surprised Saddam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Interrogator: Invasion surprised Saddam

news.yahoo.com

NEW YORK - Saddam Hussein allowed the world to believe he had weapons of mass destruction to deter rival Iran and did not think the United States would stage a major invasion, according to an FBI interrogator who questioned the Iraqi leader after his capture.

Saddam expected only a limited aerial attack by the United States and thought he could remain in control, the FBI special agent, George Piro, told CBS's "60 Minutes" program in an interview to be broadcast Sunday.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
This I dont understand, if Saddam was allowing or fooling the world into think that he had WMD he definately didnt fool the IAEA.

I dont know but this reports reeks of BS.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Sounds like a ploy by an anti-war activist who wants is trying to bend a story to his liking.

Oh wait, that is something Bush would do :p

[edit on 25-1-2008 by Agent Styx]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Sounds like BS to me also, more probably another attempt to try and justify the invasion by blaming the man himself and get bush off the hook for what is going to happen after he leaves office, and with all the speculation that the recent gun boat incident was staged.

Why wont they hold their hands up already and admit they made a mistake? is'nt that what a moral responsible person would do?

Oh wait im sorry i forgot we are not talking about a moral responsible person are we? just a war monger who likes the family coffers to go real deep.

or could Cheney be thinking of throwing his hat into the race for president? or maybe good ole Mr president Brother as a thank you for the missing votes.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Very interesting indeed. I admit to wondering what info was gained from the interrogations of Saddam. I didn't expect hear anything of substance until the info in question was declassified . But in today age of 24 hour TV networks something or someone was bound to emerge from the woodwork.

As for notion that Saddam gave the impression that Iraq possessed WMDs it is plausible but not yet proven.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Four former Intelligence people were on C-SPAN the other day and not one of them was a fan of Bush by a long shot. One was a former head of the CIA under Clinton. They said that Bush is the one responsible for the extreme claims made about Iraq's weapons stockpiles, However the CIA did think that Iraq did have some Chemical weapons they did not tell the President anything that would justify Iraq being a big threat. They did state that Saddam did say that he did not want Iraq to look weak and risk an attack from Iran. Thats why he did not tell anyone " Hey I really don't have any come and see". We all know he did have some at one time but I think most of the agents containers and shells that they were stored in were just old and to dangerous to mess with if he had any left over from the Iran-Iraq war and using them on the Kurds. We have one more item left on the table though. Did he send his remaining stockpile to Syria for money or support? I guess only time will tell.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

I doubt he was surprised. The CIA would have tipped him off to an invasion as they were already in Iraq prior to the Western occupation.

He seems to have found a great hiding spot despite all the bombing going on around him.

I'd be willing to bet we hung a Saddam look alike. Him and Osama are probably chilling with Bushie drinking some brewskies at Camp David right now. I would research the US government's involvement with Saddam before you believe this trite.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I find kind of ironic that Saddam was also expecting that the U.S. intelligence agencies had good and reliable info on him. I think he underestimated President Bush willingness to go to war.

top topics

join