It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious blue haze over Charleston, WV

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   

This is from the WV Gazette, the newspaper for Charleston. The haze is really freaky.

AEP officials say they believe their John Amos Power Station was operating normally on Friday, but state inspectors are examining whether any problems at the plant contributed to Friday’s blue haze problem. The plant is among the region’s largest polluters, but Columbus, Ohio-based AEP is spending hundreds of millions of dollars to greatly reduce emissions. ..

link

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Look at that stuff coming out of those stacks!
Great pictures, Shar!
Also, look at the brown haze, too.

[edit on 27-1-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

Yeah, can you believe I lived there for over 35 years.

Honestly, I hated it. I am so glad to be out of there. However, other places in WV are clean and very nice. Especially, up in our mountains where Summit and Summersville areas are. There is a lot of beauty in WV. Just not down in kanawha valley.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Shar

Nice post Shar. Good article. I'm not sure how much I trust the media.

My hat is off to the people in Charleston for being strong enough to withstand these kinds of events. Here is a quote from the article:

"The mysterious blue haze remains just that - mysterious," said County Commissioner Kent Carper.

link to source

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by seawolf197

I cannot believe they don't know what it is. It is not mysterious to them. They just don't want to tell. Probably afraid of the law suits. I am sure it is bad for the people there in the long run.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Shar

We've had pollution here (the mountains of northeast Georgia) pretty steadily since 2005.
I mean brownish haze on the horizon, headaches.....
I called the EPA in Atlanta, they said their sensors weren't showing anything. I told them they were messed up.

Then I wrote the governor and told him it looked like L.A., The Department of Natural Resources wrote me back, bless their hearts. I mean that, because I know how busy they are.
They said that pollution was (according to statistics) better than pre-1993.
Well, at least I let them know what I think.

There are only 2 factories around here, and most people I talk to think it's blown in from Atlanta. That's not true. It's too wide-spread.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

We had a Situation out in Sulfur ( possible spelling wrong) Louisiana when we were there. OMG. It was so bad. Black smoke and the stench. I was very angry. We called the EPA and emailed them. They called us back and said everything is fine. They are doing nothing wrong. So we took pictures and emailed it to them and to some folks in DC. That night no more stench or black smoke. It didn’t happen again.

I should add though it took about 2 weeks before we decided to mail the pictures to DC. But, when we did there was no more problems. The local EPA was ignoring us. So we went all the way to the top with it.

[edit on 27-1-2008 by Shar]

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Shar

I actually think ours is caused by chemtrails.
If it were factories, I would have more of a target to fight against.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
Look at that stuff coming out of those stacks!
Great pictures, Shar!
Also, look at the brown haze, too.

You do realize that the three large stacks are steam right?
Not sure about the others.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by gormly

I don't think those two gray ones are steam.
But, yes.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Steam comes out as part of the scrubber process, but still contains sulphuric acid, NOx, and byproducts of the catalysts. The Amos Plant says they're in compliance with the EPA levels, and it was just the inversion layer that trapped the smog. DEC says they're going to check it out... a long process, not enough personnel, not enough measuring equipment, and people will forget about by the time they're report is out. AEP (owner of the plant) has been fined before, so it's possible they're out of compliance.

The Amos plant PR dept should have had a pre-written statement in case this event would happen. It's widely known as a side-effect of coal-fired plants. It would have reduced the panic. Also, local authorities should have done their homework ahead of time and known about "blue haze" from these plants.

I've passed along a bunch of info to the wvgazette since Friday.

Next time maybe it'll be a terrorist attack, or an accident at one of the chemical plants. I suspect the local authorities would be just as slow and uninformed.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
really strange. that haze covers a huge area...
scotch mist..?

[edit on 31-1-2008 by tetragrammation]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by tetragrammation

Look at what I saw outside my front door, notice the brown stripes.

[edit on 31-1-2008 by Clearskies]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join