It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Police face Judge, not Jury for shooting death of unarmed man

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   

New York Police face Judge, not Jury for shooting death of unarmed man

www.reuters.com

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Three New York City police officers charged in the 2006 shooting death of an unarmed black man hours before his wedding waived their right to a jury trial on Friday, saying any local jury would be biased against them.

Lawyers for the white, Hispanic and black detectives who fired 50 bullets at the groom and his friends have argued that intense media coverage of the death of Sean Bell, 23, had made it impossible to find a neutral jury in New York.

State Supreme Court Judge Arthur Cooperman set opening arguments for February 25.

The policemen appeared determined to avoid facing a jury in the New York City borough of Queens, where Bell was killed and his two friends were wounded around 4 a.m. on November 25, 2006.

"The potential jury pool was poisoned right from the start," said Michael Paladino, president of the Detectives Endowment Association. "It has nothing to do with the good people of Queens. They were hit with an avalanche of negative publicity."

On Wednesday an appeals court rejected their request to move the trial outside the city.

"I think that it is stunning that these officers want to do everything but be accountable to the people they serve in Queens," civil rights advocate Al Sharpton said in a statement.

"Now that their motion to change the venue has been denied, they do not want to face a jury of their peers whom they serve and by whom they are paid."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
WOW...I hope this doesn't lead to another L.A. riot type of situation. They fired 50 times at the guy, and it was a case of mistaken identity.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I am interested to know how such a racially diverse group of officers could have committed a racist crime against a Black man when 1 of the officers shooting was... black...?

As I recall the story was all messed up, but I do think the cops should face a jury since they where indicted on charges.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

LOL, good point, not a race issue I suppose. But I do think it has the potential for explosiveness if these officers end up not having to face any jurys because of "bias". Cops jobs are tough, and in this case they felt the guy was a perp trying to run them over, but firing FIFTY rounds at the guy without being certain that he was the suspect is WAY over the top IMHO.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
This argument that one can't get a fair trial because of "negative publicity" begs the question: just what kind of publicity do you expect when you commit a heinous crime?

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by kattraxx

EXACTLY...Just because it is a high profile, terrible situation that has infuriated a lot of people, and just because you happen to be in law enforcement, should not change the rules of the justice system. If they recieve good representation, it shouldn't matter anyway-Look at OJ. LOL

new topics

top topics

join