It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft admits leaks of parts of of Windows sourcecode!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Delen broncode Windows uitgelekt via internet
Vrijdag, 13 feb - Delen van de geheime broncode van de besturingssystemen Windows 2000 en Windows NT4 zijn uitgelekt via internet.

Sorry = Dutch

www.webwereld.nl...

The are still further investigating.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Top story on link website (sorry no direct link & Dutch)

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 05:37 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Cool... now lets find a copy!

I'm going on the hunt for it.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Have fun even trying to comprehend the source code, we've had a portions of the code for awhile now and you need to know what your doing. Like the article states this shouldn't have been a surprise more then 1 party(s) has copies of the source code. This is why I prefer Linux or Unix.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Yup, was able to get a hold of it pretty quickly, not that I will do anything with it...

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   
They need something like this to happen...they are constantly releasing buggy and insecure operating systems. Linux is entirely open source, which is why all bugs and security holes found are usually patched by the open source community within hours. Of course windows will never be free, which is why I will continue to use linux.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   
This is a bit off topic, but in saying that linux is more secure than windows, or a better product, you have to really be specific in what you quantify as Linux. For most people its the entire disk of say SuSE or RedHat/Fedora. In all actuality Linux is just the kernel, because the various shells, Xwindows managers, email clients, text editors, etc are all written by third party people. Going by this it would seem that Linux is relatively secure because most of the holes found are in code that isint part of the kernel (apache, bind, postfix, etc) This is of course not a knock at linux, I'm still a faithful fan of it over windows for server environments

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Hey, look I found the source code!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

#include "win31.h"
#include "win95.h"
#include "win98.h"
#include "workst~1.h"
#include "evenmore.h"
#include "oldstuff.h"
#include "billrulz.h"
#include "monopoly.h"
#define INSTALL = HARD

char make_prog_look_big[1600000];
void main()
[
while(!CRASHED)
[
display_copyright_message();
display_bill_rules_message();
do_nothing_loop();
if (first_time_installation)
[
make_50_megabyte_swapfile();
do_nothing_loop();
totally_screw_up_HPFS_file_system();
search_and_destroy_the_rest_of_OS/2();
make_futile_attempt_to_damage_Linux();
disable_Netscape();
disable_RealPlayer();
disable_Lotus_Products();
hang_system();
]

write_something(anything);
do_nothing_loop();
do_some_stuff();

if (still_not_crashed)
[
do_nothing_loop();
basically_run_windows_3.1();
do_nothing_loop();
do_nothing_loop();
]
]

if (detect_cache())
disable_cache();

if (fast_cpu())
[
set_wait_states(lots);
set_mouse(speed, very_slow);
set_mouse(action, jumpy);
set_mouse(reaction, sometimes);
]

/* printf("Welcome to Windows 3.1"); */
/* printf("Welcome to Windows 3.11"); */
/* printf("Welcome to Windows 95"); */
/* printf("Welcome to Windows NT 3.0"); */
/* printf("Welcome to Windows 98"); */
/* printf("Welcome to Windows NT 4.0"); */
printf("Welcome to Windows 2000");

if (system_ok())
crash(to_dos_prompt)
else
system_memory = open("a:\swp0001.swp", O_CREATE);

while(something)
[
sleep(5);
get_user_input();
sleep(5);
act_on_user_input();
sleep(5);
]
create_general_protection_fault();
]

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully I'm not the only one who finds this funny...

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Apparantly it took a source code link for people to figure out that Microsoft don't know what they are doing.

Fourthly, for Microsoft to have this code paraded in public is hugely embarrassing. Not least because the code is littered with profanity and might show that many Microsoft programmers do not do a very good job.

LMAO!!!!!

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 09:48 AM
link   
lol at Shoktek, that's funny

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Profanity and such in source code is nothing new really. Grab a copy of the linux kernel source one time, thats an interesting read. Or for that matter check any source code that open to the public, usually programmers put in some interesting stuff when they are bored/tired

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I recently retired from Microsoft after 12 years. Although my lovely NDA won't allow me to talk about much (trust me they do enforce them) I can tell you that this is at least the 5th time the source code has been leaked and it has never caused any real problems. Security at the company is only as good as it's staff is honest. You would be surprised how easily even a low level staffer could get to this. Overall I believe it is a non-issue for security of the systems. Believe me they have enough problems with security without this.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Microsoft has always had many problems with software...instead of actually releasing solid products, they release it with bugs and holes and wait for someone to take advantage of it, then they release patches. I am actually downloading the source code right now just for the hell of it...

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I fairly computer savvy, but not for coding.

Is this really a big deal? What could happen? What's it for?

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
KrazyJethro > well from what I have heard the code isint actually the core part of windows 2k but rather the code to Service Pack 1, which is fairly old considering they are on SP4 now for w2k I think. Had it been the real source to 2k, it could have been very bad. It would cut down the time necessary for a cracker to find a hole in the OS to exploit, and also give virus writers an inside knowledge of how the operating system works and how to get around certain features of it or to use them to their advantage.

new topics

top topics

join