It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*Breaking News* Majority leader Reid clears hurdle for Bush /Cheney spying bill

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
There is one important detail to be pointed out. The Democrats would like to his this spying authority just as much as the Republicans would like to have it. Both parties are agreed on the idea that they suould be able ot spy on you.

It's easier for the Dems to "allow" Bush to have his way so that they can later say that it was forced on them.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Justin Oldham

I agree with you, playing the political game in elections years seem to be the reason for this, but I can not ignore anymore as may of my fellow citizens in ATS of the lack of respect this elected politicians have when it comes to the people they are serving, to them America is nothing more that a big table game to play with at will because any thing they do do not directly affect them at all.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
That's why discussion like this matter. You can't tell your friends what makes you mad unless you learn more about what makes you mad. Being informed is our first civic duty. Saying what we think and why, would be our second and third obligations that result in good citizenship.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alphard
Take a hint

Yes please, I'll have one; or even 511. Please pass the platter over as I haven't the foggiest idea where to start.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Don't worry about this bill , It wont effect the AVG. citizen , Sooner or later this will come back to bite the one who wrote it and passed it . It will be IMHO used against them selfs to gain advantage on a election year , this power is pure abuse of power. And when you are in power you will use the tools to keep you there .

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
George Bush and Dick Cheney have shredded the constitution with the tacit approval of some Democrats along with the active approval of some Democrats (Hillary anyone?). Hillary will be queen and this will all continue. Bilderbergs, NWO. She won't give back what we have lost, she will capitalize on it.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Bush and Cheney? With Congress passing these laws and far worse presidents in history (FDR anyone?), they're nothing but scapegoats.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
You U.S. Americans must stop voting for Republicans and Democrats. You keep voting for them as if you are expecting something to change. First, that nothing ever changes is evidence of tyranny, a tyranny that must be overthrown. Second, it is evidence of insanity to keep electing Republicans and Democrats and expecting something better.

The time has arrived to give Reid/Pelosi and the Democrats and Bush/Cheney and the Republicans a swift boot out of politics (and ultimately into jail).

Please for the love of Earth, vote Libertarian, Green, Constitution, 3rd party, organised write-ins ... anything but Republican or Democratic !!!

[edit on 25/1/08 by Pellevoisin]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
To be fair, the article presented in the OP does display that it is an OPINION piece at the top of the article. If you want to know the rest of the story, here is a better article.

The Bush administration is insisting that any new law protect from potentially crippling civil lawsuits those telecom companies that helped the government eavesdrop on Americans after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, R-Nev., blamed Republicans for the delay, saying they were trying to block a series of amendments majority Democrats sought to offer.

"It appears the president and Republicans want failure. They don't want a bill," Reid said.

Senate Delays Eavesdropping Vote

Like FOX news, fair and balanced.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

Lone gun-toting nuts always seem to find their ways to the political/social figures that have a message of peace to bring to the world, yet are strangely absent when dictators or evil men spread hate and destruction. Maybe the peaceful guys are just easier targets, or maybe the real nuts are behind the scenes and would never put themselves in the crosshairs.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Once again, more head games.

One comes out and votes FOR the erosion while the others play "Oh, gosh, darn" We didnt want that.

It is all an illusion. That's all it will ever be.
They've been caught now.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
you know i hear alot of people saying that people should stand up and do something and one guy qouting v for vendetta so im goona put in my imput why thats not exactly reasonable anymore. now dont get me wronge i like the idea of a revoloution but iv looked hard at what it would take and it seems near impossible any more so here is my qoute from another thread regarding revoloution .

"yes but getting that kind of large scale orginazation and all that that entails would be very difficult espicaly with the domestic spying, echelon (sp), traitors, and the alphabet soup . now if there was a way to avoid all those pitfalls , gather the like minded people, find like minded people with out giving out enough info to a stranger for him to be a liability, raise the funds that would be needed to cover everything from gear and weaponry to training manuels and food and clothing with out sending up redflags all over the place. find a safe enough place to use as a base of operations, get people to agree with some form of leadership because as we know no leadership and it wont get off the ground. and then train the people enough to be even semi -effective . youd still have to defeat the worlds strongest military force and a literal army of police both regular and riot and swat trained before you could even make a dent.

now im not saying it isent a wonderful idea, i acthuly think it is thats why im even discussing it. but against those odds , on that scale it would at least to me seem damn near impossible, im not saying it could never happen but it would take years maybe even decades to get it to a point where its even concevable. "

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Wording of the title is everything I guess as I posted this yesterday. link

Still I do agree, Reid and the other Democrats that voted to allow this to pass are traitors.

Each of us can be sure we will go to jail if we break the law, regardless of who coerces us into the action.

Corporations were given the status of "persons" in the past. It seems like today it has gone beyond that.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePiemaker

Very true words.

Once again, to avoid my house being ransacked because i'm a threat, i don't condone or encourage anyone to assassinate the US leaders, but i sure as hell wouldn't mourn if they did.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by krill

Agreed. It's very hard to change a system the majority are willing, at least, to go along with. A real reveloution now should start with the people living their morals, and spreading them.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
C'mon folks your not buying into this two sides of the same coin bit are you?

If that were true, both parties would work together to make them both look good.

Ah forget it. Both parties suck.

But I will say that Animal has the best avatar going on ATS. A simple mix of reactionism of the 60's, ie Planet of the Apes with a touch of the cuddly 80's and Jim Henson. I guess that's something.

Kudos, my man.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Civil Disobediance 101

I disclaim allegiance to the flag of the Fascist States of America,
And to the PNAC for which it stands:
One nation intolerable,
With liberty and justice for none.
------------------------------------
Applying a flag postage stamp upside-down is a traditional sign of political protest.
Fly the EX-American flag upside down and at half mast.
The Czar-Strangled Banner

O say, can you see, by the pawn's early blight,
What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaning?
Whose policies and lies, thro' the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so corruptly screaming?
And the demon's red stare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof thro' the fight that our flag was nowhere.
O say, does that Czar-strangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of bourgeoisie and the home of the slave?

[edit on 26-1-2008 by Trexter Ziam]

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Here is more news to help clarify what's being done about this issue. Despite appearances, there are folks out their fighting with everything they've got to, at least, hold the telecoms responsible for their past illegal spying activities. Not everyone is a proponent of immunity.

January 25th, 2008

Washington, D.C. - On Tuesday, January 29, at 9:30 a.m, members of the U.S. House of Representatives Judiciary Committee will hold a public hearing on reform of the state secrets privilege, which the Executive Branch has often used in recent years to hinder judicial inquiry into controversial anti-terrorism policies such as the CIA's rendition program and the NSA's warrantless wiretapping program.

Senior Staff Attorney Kevin Bankston of the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) will appear at Tuesday's hearing to explain how the Administration has abused the privilege by seeking dismissal of all lawsuits concerning the NSA program -- including EFF's lawsuit against AT&T for assisting with the NSA -- based on blanket assertions of secrecy. Bankston will urge the committee to pass legislation to reform the privilege and clear the way for such lawsuits to proceed in court fairly and securely. Such reform is the most appropriate response to phone companies like AT&T that are lobbying Congress for retroactive amnesty, based on the claim that the government's assertion of the state secrets privilege prevents them from defending themselves.

EFF represents the plaintiffs in Hepting v. AT&T, a class-action lawsuit brought by AT&T customers accusing the telecommunications company of violating their rights by illegally assisting the National Security Agency in widespread domestic surveillance. The Hepting case is just one of many suits aimed at holding telecoms responsible for knowingly violating federal privacy laws with warrantless wiretapping and the illegal transfer of vast amounts of personal data to the government. A recent poll found that 57 percent of likely voters opposed letting the telecoms off the hook for these suits.

WHO:
Kevin Bankston
Senior Staff Attorney
Electronic Frontier Foundation

WHAT:
Oversight Hearing on Reform of the State Secrets Privilege
U.S. House Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Civil Liberties

WHERE:
2141 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, D.C.

WHEN:
9:30 a.m.
Tuesday, January 29
www.eff.org...

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   
And here is something that we can all do.

Speak out against telecom immunity with your photos, videos, and phone calls!

Don't just tell Congress to stop the spying -- show them.

Countless citizens have told Congress to reject telecom immunity, but the Senate is still threatening to pass a bill giving immunity to lawbreaking phone companies. It's time to get creative and move beyond words. Let's show our elected representatives who supports the rule of law -- ordinary Americans from across the country. We'll deliver your multimedia messages to lawmakers to drive the point home: no immunity for lawbreaking telecoms!
www.stopthespying.org...

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000

But I will say that Animal has the best avatar going on ATS. A simple mix of reactionism of the 60's, ie Planet of the Apes with a touch of the cuddly 80's and Jim Henson. I guess that's something.

Kudos, my man.

Thanks man, I hope my dyslexia imagery has filled you with both disturbing and warm fuzzy emotions.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join