It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*Breaking News* Majority leader Reid clears hurdle for Bush /Cheney spying bill

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   

*Breaking News* Majority leader Reid clears hurdle for Bush /Cheney spying bill

news.yahoo.com

The Nation
Thu Jan 24, 3:24 PM ET

The Nation -- Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid cleared a key hurdle for the FISA Amendments Act on Thursday, advancing President Bush's preferred version of the spying bill, a move opposed by the majority of Reid's Democratic colleagues. The vote, 60-34, sets the Senate on a course to validate more warrantless spying by the Bush administration and provide retroactive amnesty to telephone companies accused of breaking surveillance laws -- an unpopular approach.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
More erosions of our rights down the toilet. Passed in secrecy as usual. No press coverage as usual.

The Bush Cheney cabal shredding the constitution as usual. The cowardly congress allowing it to happen as usual.

Awesome.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
What do you expect from an elite that their job is to rob our nation, take it to bankruptcy while serving their global masters and then make sure that the populace do not get to frisky about what they are doing.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Indeed. Crush dissent amongst the ranks of citizens. We are watching you.

It's amazing that the biggest lawbreakers in this country keep being granted more power to watch EVERYONE ELSE.

There is something seriously wrong with this scenario. Has been for a long time. And it just keeps going and going...

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
At what point will those who are still delusional realize that left/right is just an illusion? 'They' probably have Harry Reid on tape dry-humping a gumball machine.

Peace

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
It's amazing that the biggest lawbreakers in this country keep being granted more power to watch EVERYONE ELSE.

That's the real problem with this. How can we trust these people to catch criminals when they're criminals themselves? If we had a government we could trust, one that didn't lie and keep secrets, then maybe spying could be a reasonable option.

Of course, it's quite possible that if we had that type of governemt, then spying wouldn't even be considered since they wouldn't have created enemies and large sums of debt through warmongering.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Agreed. They are all playing for the same special interest team. Although I have to say that this admin in particular have taken things to a whole different level in terms of their contempt for the average american.

It is truly alarming IMHO.

[edit on 25-1-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Well one more step to NWO. Soon they'll have there safety net so we can't fight back. Say good bye to Humanity. Heck even my girlfriend has been successfully brainwashed, cause her response to this is... "If your not doing anything bad then you have nothing to worry about."

Don't forget the big picture people they want ultimate control over us, and there doing it right under our noses. When we do decide to stand up for our rights we'll be terrorist! Since in the Patriot Act it says any mister minior offence is a terrorist act. Man this sucks, we need to stand up and say no more people. But we'll just end up like JFK.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I find interesting that while our corrupted congress and politicians are selling America to nations that support terrorism due to the economic woes, the only ones here that are to be treated as criminals are actually the American people that they swore to served when elected.

Funny but it looks to me that they are paving the road for foreign investors to own America while keeping the American people compliant, in surveillance and terrorized.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
What really kills me about this is based on all of the past abuses of laws and the constitution, how this admin CONTINUES to get away with it, even though the entire nation knows what they've done!!

It's like we're completely POWERLESS to stop madmen from REPEATEDLY violating us and thumbing their noses at us all!

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I wonder about the same thing...How can they continue to destroy the very principles this country was founded upon and nothing happens to them?!?!?! Do our "Representatives" not care, do they have no morals when it comes to destroying our Constitution, our Bill of Rights, our LIVES?!?!?! They continue to fund Bush and Cheney's unjustified escapades around the world while ignoring the will of the people of the United States and common sense. How can the 30% of this country, or whatever the number is now that supports Bush, actually believe what they are seeing on TV everyday??? How can they believe the lies that Bush spews out in every horrible speech he makes?? When will it be enough!!!?

Purduegrad05

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I hate to keep bringing him up but we all know there is no difference between the Reps and Dems so vote for Ron Paul! It's time to clean house.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
And how do we know that Ron Paul isnt another tool from the govt elites? Working from the inside to undermine us.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mecheng

I totally agree! The guy is a CONSTITUTIONALIST by his own definition.

But the problem is, just like we have seen with the passage of this sickening UNCONSTITUTIONAL bill, that THE MEDIA GIVES NO COVERAGE to Dr. Paul.

Why?

Because he does not serve the special / corporate interests that the rest of the candidates, and the mass media do.

This whole system is so fouled from our 'representatives' to the 'free' press, that the stench is unbareable. And yet it continues ad infinitum, in a cyclical fashion, over and over, while we sit here, powerless to stop them.

They have proven to be far above the law and constitution again and again.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
reply to post by marg6043

DimensionalDetective, you nailed it with one succinct sentence.

I was pretty surprised to read that about Harry Reid-- when did he go over to the dark side? Very disappointing.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
You are powerless to stop the elite by legal and peaceful means. Might as well stop talking about it. Whine whine whine.

You want your country back????

Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...

Take a hint

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
It's not a surprise that the democrats aren't holding up to their rhetoric?

On topic, how is this eroding our rights, specifically? I believe it and have seen some related things, but I'm curious about your take on it.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I think, by now it should be obvious to those paying attention that the whole political system is corrupt. Not only the likes of Bush and his administration, but also those very people who are supposed to be his “opposition” and try to bring back some sanity to the nation.

In such state it falls down to people to take massive organized action and overthrow this democratic “theater” with whatever action is necessary. The problem is most people are completely clueless because mass media is no longer a place to get objective information, but rather a way of controlling people’s opinions through disinfo, selective reporting and whatever method they find appropriate. Except that, Id be willing to bet that even those more informed (like people on ATS) are more likely to talk about how bad it is, then actually go out and do something.

If someone was to actually try and lead the people, bills like these would kick in and give PTB enough time and information’s to neutralize the threat before it picks any steam, all done according to law, of course. And greatest advantage that people have, quantity, becomes meaningless if there is no one to organize them.

So in the end, unless PTB start fighting amongst themselves, the world is most likely in for a ride… with a blindfold.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I think what is needed is for the American people to make examples of this exceptionally corrupt administration.
Will the lies end? I very much doubt it.A line in the sand has to be drawn to show your politicians the boundaries.
THEY work for YOU, although they'd have you believe otherwise.
I'm not usually an idealist,more like a realist.
Realistically, I see nothing changing except for the further erosion of your inherent rights.
I last set foot on American soil in 2003 and have vowed never to step on it again until things change.

What needs to happen is for people to act.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
What i'm surprised at is that Bush and Cheney are still breathing.

If there is so many people privy to this information, wouldn't you think one gun-toting patriot would have taken them out by now?

People have been assassinated for far less than what the current US govt. is doing.

I'm not condoning or suggesting any of you do this yourselves in any way, just saying that i really expected it to happen a year or so ago at the latest. It may now be too late for the damage they've done to be simply repaired by removing them.

(For ASIO that might be watching, please don't come and bash down my door on Australia Day.. at least wait until tomorrow).

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join