It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next Global Conflict: H2O

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
UN: Water should be at the top of the agenda

General Ban Ki-moon has made water the top priority for the UN this year and is urging world leaders to consider the crisis t avert global wars occurring over water supplies.

I for on am very glad to see this being made a top priority and welcome any action to make H20 more of a precious resource.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Hi.

Well.. I'm not sure if this is the next big thing to fight for. If it is, it's gonna be ugly but in my opinion it will be unethical. If water can be excuse to start a war, why couldn't food, wood or cows(?
) be? Though we've seen wars starting because of oil... :s

It's sure true that water will be the proplem in ever growing population all over the world, or at least in drained areas... But we have to remember that water will continue to do its natural circulation, it doesn't just vanish... (lol Sorry, of course it seems like it, but it rains back to ground or sea or where ever it rains).. But you get the point.

Just me and my opinions

-In Finland we have this thing called "Reilu meininki"-

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
The thing about water will not be its supply (other then large cities/ dry area's) the problem with water is having clean drinkable water. I do think we need to find better, faster and cheaper ways to get clean drinkable water out of polluted water systems.

Also just a point to one of the above posters water is needed to make all foods, you can't have crops, cattle, or even most factor foods with out water. So for the most part water would be a bigger problem then food.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthWithin
UN: Water should be at the top of the agenda
I for on am very glad to see this being made a top priority and welcome any action to make H20 more of a precious resource.

You are joking, right?

Oh yeah, let's rarify and commodify a natural resource essential for human existence. So how long have you been drinking the NWO kool-aid?

Should we protect the world's natural resources? Yes. Should we be wasteful? No. Should the U.N. be involved? Hell no!

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
...and the U.N. track record for improving the dialog or moving the needle forward on any issue is so great, right?

Let me guess: African nations will constitute the majority on this U.N. council. Much like the Security Council, it will likely be a farce.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
There are already water wars on a much smaller scale currently, it isn't a far stretch to see global water conflicts, especially if there are natural disasters or climate change that dramatically alters our fresh water supplies.

I'd like to recommend Soon to be Worldwide Water Shortage?? for further insight on how rapidly and more progressively worse the water situation is becoming. (and I haven't had time to fully cover every water issue that has arised over the past two and half years)

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

I completely agree that it is an issue. As productivity and technology allow for greater population expansion, there is definitely a need for resource management.

However, I strongly feel that history as proven the U.N. largely inadequate in mediating regional conflicts. The Middle East, Kosovo, Somalia, Darfur..to name a few. It more often lends itself to abuse of power and special interests.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
It's a catch 22, can you really rely on individual goverments to come to independent agreements? probably not. So that's why the UN or some sort of coalition is needed, however like you said, they don't have a great track record..

I don't know who or what it will take to bring water conservation into public awareness, or how we'll ever agree to share water when local sources dry up, but there should be more effective and cheaper methods to convert saltwater into usuable water..

it just seems to me that no matter what there will disputes on how to handle water shortages, do they cloud seed and try to make rain while poisoning us?

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
No joke. Drought wars are no joke.

What is a joke is that you are willing to dismiss major world issues because of an NWO kick that justifies you beating down everything that doesn't revolve around you.

People are dying over this very subject.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
this is a scenario that they teach us here where i live if you are in the sevice

the war for pure drinkable water ....

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
i say we restore some trees and water will be no problem. It's clear that other countries are soon gonna turn their backs against the US because of our carelessness. I think there is too much water wasted in companies like Poland Spring and other water bottle companies. We generate too much water, the public just buys water and then buy more....makes no sense! Well at least we die at a some point

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
A great book on this topic is "Water Wars" by Vandana Shiva. A great read with some great commentary on the politics and realities of water.

And yes, without a doubt where the resource wars of today are over oil, the resource wars of tomorrow will be over water.

Also, guess which country is leading the world in buying up water rights?

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
The major malfunctions will arise when rising sea levels contaminate drinkable water supplies in low lying island areas. You think people go nutty over oil? Water is such an ethos of life. Take that away and we will see some real knuckle dragging primitive warfare. Millions displaced, who will want or take them?

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I am Canadian and I think we got the most fresh water on the planet so I think we will be ok but maybe that might cause others to invade us if the US was weak? From what I have read China and India might have a dispute very soon over water if China decides to divert a riverflow they both use. I personally dont understand it we do live in the year 2008 so I would hope we could make ocean water drinkable by now and have a cheap way to do it but I guess I am mistaken?

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthWithin
No joke. Drought wars are no joke.
What is a joke is that you are willing to dismiss major world issues because of an NWO kick that justifies you beating down everything that doesn't revolve around you.

People are dying over this very subject.

Actually I am keenly aware of and personally affected by water issues. Additionally, I have done extensive reading on the subject as well as participated in many discussions here on ATS, here's but one:

Water Wars 2007

However, I don't think the answer is to turn a God-given natural resource into a commodity that has to be "managed" or controlled by anyone. Look what that strategy has done for oil and its effects on the world economy.

I am not "beating down" anything. However, turning over such an important issue to a failed institution like the U.N. is, IMO, dangerous. Instead of, as you put it - "make H20 more of a precious resource" - we need to concentrate our efforts into making it more available to everyone, world-wide.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Keeper
The thing about water will not be its supply (other then large cities/ dry area's) the problem with water is having clean drinkable water. I do think we need to find better, faster and cheaper ways to get clean drinkable water out of polluted water systems.

Also just a point to one of the above posters water is needed to make all foods, you can't have crops, cattle, or even most factor foods with out water. So for the most part water would be a bigger problem then food.

Yes. You said what I had in my mind. I just didn't bring it out that clearly.. Sorry 'bout that.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Desalination of ocean water to produce drinkable water has been a reality for two decades. Saudis use them liberally. The problem is they take quite alot of energy to run, as well as upkeep.

top topics

join