It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hypothetical question

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
imagine we found an earth like planet around the closest star system Alpha Centauri only 5 lights years away. We dont detect any radio signals but want to find out more so send a probe with a rover to investigate.

The probe is programmed to go into orbit, study the planet and send back data. The pictures reveal there is a developing civilization on the planet we can see the structures they have built like bridges & buildings. They appear to be a coupleof hundred years behind us tech-wise.

Would you order the probe to release the rover to the surface to find out more about them? Do we have an obligation to tell them that THEY are not alone? Or do we hide the realities of the universe from them until such a time they can communicate with radio signals or maybe even never.

What do you think?

[edit on 25-1-2008 by yeti101]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Good Question.

Seeing as this civilization is behind us in technology, I wouldn't send the rover down.

I think we should come up with some other way to investigate them a little more and then make ourselves known to them.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Why would revealing us to them be a problem?
Remmember history channel documentaries about scientists and explorers marching in deep into amazon forest and making contacts with primitive tribes?

We were not afraid to disturb their system of beliefs, which is far more fragile then say, that few hundred years behind us civilisation.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

ok but remember fossil fuels were in use on earth 200 years ago, do we not have a responsibilty to tell them of the potential dangers for their planet? also do you not think they would notice a new "moving star" in the night sky?

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I think we just watch from orbit. There would be a 10 year delay between commands, no rush I suppose. Long term I do think contact would be worth looking into

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadow_Lord

but what about the aliens who are suffering and dieing due to their primitive medical practices. We have the ability to help them the longer we leave contact more of their kind will die & suffer through our non-intervention.

And when we do reveal ourselves they might resent us for not helping them sooner. In that case relations between our planets would be strained from the start- not good

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Well WE would first have to develop another 200 years to have the technology to go there, lol. 5 lightyears may not be much, but it'll still take quite alot of years to get there since AFAIK, probes dont go at lightspeed. Even nuclear powered probes would be stretching their power supply I'm guessing.

Anyway, the argument is pretty moot. We've already made the decision with the Voyager project: Contact if they can understand.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
merka, nice of you to reply but those details dont matter its a hypothetical question - I'm only interested in peoples views on the scenario.

p.s a primitive civ wont be able to detect the voyager probes you can assume if you like that the probes got destroyed or are well away from alpha centauri by the time this scenario happens

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

We would be in no position to help with any medical problems. We would not be able to tell that from orbit, and we would no nothing about their makeup. If we tried to help them, we instead could end up killing them all. If any survived, we are now an evil race who came to destroy them. Even our probe sent to the surface could end up killing them from the bacterial that may have survived aboard it.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   

yeah shadow lord thats a good point ,i also thought about that our rover may have a nuclear powers supply what if they started messing with it and killed themselves

p.s in helping thme medically i mean through our technology & science.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by merka

Nuclear powered probes can go way further than 5 years, longer than 20. But that aside with our current tech that is not enough. But I do think in order to answer the question, we need to determine the time frame it takes to travel back and fourth.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Good question, interesting scenario.

If we were in no position to visit and engage, due to undeveloped interstellar travel technology, yes I would try to let them know we are 'out there' and have benign intentions. Thing is, would anyone notice? There would be 'unbelievers' there too, most likely.

If we were able to visit and engage, I would warn them about the Grays, who would certainly be there before us, and would not have benign intentions. Might do no good, but you'd have to try to warn them just on principle.

How they do everything else on their planet is up to them, so long as they don't export warfare or toxic pollution. We'd have no right to interfere.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   

ok lets say our probe can do 10% light speed. A 50 year journey to alpha centauri

i would be dying to know what they look like, i think i would send the probe
also the voyager probes have been going 30 years and are expected to last another 20 at least

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

10% of light speed would be around 65,000,000 miles per hour!

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
merka, nice of you to reply but those details dont matter its a hypothetical question - I'm only interested in peoples views on the scenario.

p.s a primitive civ wont be able to detect the voyager probes you can assume if you like that the probes got destroyed or are well away from alpha centauri by the time this scenario happens

It doesnt matter about the probes. My point is that the question is not hypothetical to NASA, obviously. Any probe going out to another system WILL contain some tool of communication. In Voyager it was the gold plate.

But if you want to know my opinion, I think that the "Prime Directive" is bullplop. The knowledge of life on other planets is no more important than the knowledge on say the atom or whatever. Saying "hello" is a fundamental part of life as we know it: whether we know the one we greet is irrelevant.

So I would say go for it. Contact for sure. If they respond, great! Then we know they CAN respond. If they dont respond, our efforts to make global contact is wasted anyway and it becomes a hypothetical discussion on whether they locally have something we would want (natural resources worth making specific contact for).

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by gauncents

lol thanks for the mph conversion

10% is quite realistic i think

Merk thanks i agree we should send it down. I also think the "prime directive" is bull

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

It depends on our motives. But my personal belief is this:

We send a probe or a manned mission to an earth-like planet and find a civilization as you said. Chances are, if they are only a few hundred years behind us, they will have developed a knowledge of some form of astronomy. There's a point we can relate on, and make for them a map to identify where we are in the universe in relation to them, assuming they are anything like us, this shouldn't be difficult. I think making people aware that there is a whole universe out there full of people is the most humane thing we could do as a species. Consider this, if we knew long ago about our relationship in the universe, and kept this knowledge alive and known to all throughout the ages, would we have fought nearly as much? If this hadn't turned into such as secret, would we skip the racism, war, and hatred we see today in our world? Would we instead identify ourselves as a species among many? How would that affect evolution? What would this hypothetical civilization be capable of? Information is life, without it we die. And this is why things like contact and disclosure are so sought after. I don't know if this helps, but I wanted to add an aspect to this that is very important, as it certainly pertains to development of an entire species of intelligent life. I can't help but think of the Bible as I write this.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
reply to post by gauncents

lol thanks for the mph conversion

10% is quite realistic i think

Merk thanks i agree we should send it down. I also think the "prime directive" is bull

Both Voyagers has already exceeded this speed.

I think we would want to study with as little disruption to the planet as possible.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

What is our reason for being there? Are we simply exploring because it is close? Or are we scouting for planets because Earth is too full? Dying? We need resources?

I got we were exploring out of your question, but I think it does change my answer if it is different.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   

thats a good question, i think we should just go with exploration for now

if we needed their planet for our own survival that would change it quite a bit. Lets assume we are happy colonizing mars and have no intention to take their planet

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join