It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exxon set to hit record profits.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:
apc

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
So your problem isn't their record profits, but just the profits themselves.

Thanks for clearing that up.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by apc
So your problem isn't their record profits, but just the profits themselves.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I did not clear up anything. You are simply playing with my statements to try to dismiss my point in general. Once again how about rather than playing games you participate in a real conversation.

You continue to make new statements rather than building an argument and I can only assume that is because you are not interested in discussing a topic only defending a point of view you have chosen to cling to.

My argument is clear, my point is clear, if you want to discuss it fine, but if you just want to play games I am not interested.

apc

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
You don't have an argument. You have a rant.

"The elite are keeping all the money for themselves WAAAAAH!"

Please. I've already proven that your "point" about Exxon's record profits is BS. Everything else you've stated has been victim-mentality wealth-envious communist-humping garbage. If you want to continue on about how evil those who make wise decisions in life are, go right ahead. You're right, it is a game. And you're the loser because I've got the trump card: Freedom.

So, anything to add about Exxon's record profits? Or just more about the evil rich people?

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
You don't have an argument. You have a rant.

REally? Once again I see only your point of view and a HUGE lack of evidence.

Please. I've already proven that your "point" about Exxon's record profits is BS.

That is funny I don't recall you proving anything, mind pointing out to me where you disproved my points? The only two posts you have made with any substance what so ever are these:

Originally posted by apc

Originally posted by Solarskye
Do you know anything about net profit margin?

I'm glad someone is pointing this out quickly. Not knowing a thing about operating a business, the anti-capitalists always are quick to jump on this crap.

think-progress doesn't.

Originally posted by apc
sigh...

2006: 10.45%
2005: 9.75%
2004: 8.50%
2003: 8.71%
2002: 5.60%
2001: 7.20%
2000: 7.61%

Their profit margin has risen less than 3% since 2000, most of that during the invasion of the Middle East. Exxon's prices reflect market supply and demand. If OPEC is thinking, "Hey... we might get nuked soon" guess what... prices goes up! Now whether or not Exxon gets their oil from them is irrelevant. Exxon sells at the price the market decides.

You want something to whine about? Whine about the jacked up taxes. Whine about the war. But take your anti-capitalist rhetoric to an economics class and in the mean time buy Exxon stock.

How do either of those disprove Exxon's record profits or my opinion that allowing the few to profit so heavily on teh backs of the many?

Everything else you've stated has been victim-mentality wealth-envious communist-humping garbage. If you want to continue on about how evil those who make wise decisions in life are, go right ahead. You're right, it is a game. And you're the loser because I've got the trump card: Freedom.

This is pure entertainment. I love the ideas you are putting into my head and the statementes into my mouth. It is MHO that you have no point and have contributed next to nothing to the conversation. As I have pointed out before, rather than contributing in a substantive manner you resort to the base tactic of insults and smears. You have proven nothing. You posted some material that was only slightly relevant to the discussion and claim that it makes me the looser. Please can't you do better than that?

So, anything to add about Exxon's record profits? Or just more about the evil rich people?

Funny I never said anything about "evil rich people", and maybe rather than requesting I contribute more, you would care to actually contribute something of substance.

[edit on 26-1-2008 by Animal]

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
In the name of truth and honesty I would like to ask, is there anyone who would be interested in showing me how my statements and beliefs are false? I am sure with logic and reason there is a chance what I have said is provably false.

However, I am not willing to take the words of apc or of Solarskye as proof. Still that does not mean I am absolutely correct. I ask this question only to be fair and rigorous. If I am wrong I would like it to be proven, I am not here to blindly adhere to my beliefs, but I must admit it is going to take SUBSTANCE to make me see the error of my ways.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Personally, I don't give two turds WHO is raking in the profits here, I just want this BS to be remedied.

WHOEVER is profiteering, they are doing it off the backs of the end consumers, and we as a nation are SUFFERING because of it. Literally every middle class to poor american citizen is being crippled by this.

It's sickening.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

I just noticed the link you provided for the first time (strange location for a link if you ask me). I read the post entitled Exxon not Pumping out Enough Profit as it seemed the most relevant post in this source in terms of its title and timeliness.

It offered up some interesting evaluations and points in regards to the whole issue of Exxon profits.

For example:

(11/1/2007):

Exxon Mobil reported $9.4 billion in profit for the quarter, but Wall Street was less than pleased with their results. Profit was down 10% from the same quarter last year and failed to meet analysts' expectations. The company reported revenue of $102.3 billion but rising costs consumed much of that.

This is obviously the information you were siting in your response to my OP. Unfortunately your response does not match up to my OP that well because you are siting the earnings of ONE quarter and I am citing YEARLY profits. I think it is also important to note that although they experienced a decrease in third quarter profits from 2006 to 2007 they still were able to set a new all time record for profitability regardless.

Another set of interesting quotes from this source:

During the third quarter, crude oil rose from $71 a barrel to $81. These costs did not translate into higher gasoline prices for consumers, however, as the national average fell from $2.95 to $2.81 in the same period. This failure to keep up with the rising costs of crude is the main reason why companies like Exxon Mobil and their competitors have seen such a decline in profits. It is not, however, the only reason; Exxon pumped out less oil, down 100,000 barrels per day from the previous year. The company cited three reasons for this decline: OPEC production quotas, maturing oil fields and halting operations in Venezuela, calling this "the impact of entitlements, divestments, OPEC quota effects and Venezuela." Excluding the decline from these problems, production increased by 3 percent, mostly from Russia and Africa.

So here we see int he third quarter Exxon was struggling with profits, and they cite three reasons for this. Still it seems that all that was to change in the fourth quarter.

These rising costs and falling profits are going to lead to change in the fourth quarter for all oil companies. Crude oil hit a new high of $96 this week, and continues to hover above $90. Analysts expect that these high costs will not be coming down soon and are going to be passed on to consumers, predicting prices above $3 per gallon by next year.

Notice the statement: "Analysts expect that these high costs will not be coming down soon and are going to be passed on to consumers, predicting prices above $3 per gallon by next year."

Finally:

Regardless of how demand changes, however, companies like Exxon Mobil are going to have to think of new ways to cut costs if they want to increase profits. Shell (RDS.A: Charts, News, Offers) is currently forging ahead with new research in using oil shale as a commercial energy source, expecting that they can produce oil at $30 a barrel compared to the $90 they are currently paying for crude if their methods are successful. Exxon hasn't announced any similar plans for alternative energy sources to offset their dependence on crude, but they did spend $7 billion during the quarter buying back shares and $5.4 billion on exploration; maybe they ought to start talking to scientists.

That sounds like excellent advice, at least if the context of the discussion was moving AWAY from oil all together.

My impression from reading the source you provided is this. Yes Exxon is facing challenges in making profits. Sadly the problem is that they are not making ENOUGH of a profit. It is also sad that the rising cost of doing business is passed along to the consumer. Exxon still continues to INCREASE its profitability at the expense of the majority of the people in this country and others.

It also appears to me that these corporations know exactly what they are doing, milking the cash cow till there is none left to be milked. Rather than taking the incentive to begin exploring alternatives they cling to a failing paradigm, stuck it would seem, in the dogmatic slumber of profiteering and greed.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Animal don't get bated . You'll just end up warned or banned and it isn't worth it man . I think your points were clear enough .

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

i'd help you if i could with your search for evidence but i'm just a dumb sheep that cant read the minds of oil company executives that i feel in my gut and pocket are charging us more than they need to for fuel.

in 1971 i was paying 65 cents for a gallon of gas while earning 20 thousand dollars a year.the price of gas here now is $5.22 a gallon.my present income is 52 thousand dollars a year.

so my pay has increased 52 divided by 20 =2.6---using the same ratio i should be paying---2.6x65 cents=$ 1.63 a gallon for gas not $5.22 a gallon unless i made a math mistake.

sure doesnt look that complicated to me to say we are being ripped off at the pumps----by someone.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
And if welfare mothers, for example, (social programs) are going to get jumped on, let's not forget about corporate welfare.

I'm no economist either, but it seems to me one of the greatest tricks any government ever pulled on its citizens, is to convince them that their tax money is better spent on anything but themselves and their country.

www.progress.org...

"But this administration has refused to summon us to that mission. Instead, its last energy legislation actually gave oil companies over $2.5 billion in subsidies even as they raked in record profits. ExxonMobil rang up the largest profit ever recorded by a corporation."

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
For some reason this make me think of good ol Dave mustain . "Peace sells buy who's buying"

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join