It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slain police officer's coffin arrives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Slain police officer's coffin arrives

www.rochesterdandc.com

The body of an Atlanta-area police officer who grew up in Monroe County arrived at the Greater Rochester International Airport tonight....The flag-draped coffin was removed from a Delta Airlines plane about 5 p.m., with an honor guard of uniformed officers from area law enforcement agencies standing by. Family members were among the two dozen people who watched from inside the airport.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I do not mean any disrespect here. I have a question though. This event was the biggest thing today in a city of around 1 million people. The deceased was a police officer and a Marine. MY questions are these. One, why is this officer having a funeral that costs the county a ton of money as the attending firefighters and police officers, etc. were there on the county dime. They all drove their cruisers and firetrucks, ambulances, etc. Second, why is this not done for every fallen officer? The stories of this officer that I have heard do not mention any kind of heroism act. I know just being in the military is an act of heroism, but I just don't understand why this funeral was the way it was. I got stuck in the traffic on my way home from work, and if you could have seen how many county/city owned vehicles were in this procession, you would have been amazed. I sincerely mean no disrespect, but I just do not get all of the hype here.

www.rochesterdandc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

I understand you mean no disrespect but it's the way it's done. When we in corrections, law enforcement or fire lose one of our own we show the fallen the respect. Ours are tough dangerous jobs that take a toll on not only us but our families. When we lose one it's devestating. I've been to way too many officer funerals and pretty much it's done the same way. A show of respect to the fallen and the familiy I guess is the best way to explain it.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by palehorse23

I do not mean any disrespect here. I sincerely mean no disrespect, but I just do not get all of the hype here.

You don't mean any disrespect, because you have no respect.

That officer gave his life in the cause of freedom and you can't handle a delay in traffic.

Respect?

You have no idea what respect is.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Excuse me mister senior citizen. You have no idea what I am about. I was just inquiring as I have not seen this sort of thing on a regular basis. Before you get all tied up with your old school ways, maybe you should ask questions why before making accusations you know nothing about. For your information I lost a family member in Iraq, and he was not given half of the cavalcade that this officer was given. The officer was working on a security duty when he died. I just questioned why he received such a funeral. My uncle was not paraded around the airport and through the city when he actually died in the name of freedom. So do not preach to me about respect. Please next time do not pass judgment on someone you know nothing about.
If this is the way you respond to all posts, I do not know how you have been around for so long.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by gallopinghordes

Thank you for the insight. As I just posted, I just do not get why some get more attention than others.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Grady thats kind of a shot in the dark don't you think. The OP is not offensive in the least bit. He respectfully posted his question in a mature manner. He was simply asking why some funerals merit more attention then others. I wonder the same thing.

Your post on the other hand came off a bit harsh and did not add anything constructive to the thread. The police officer was killed off-duty... how did you get the information leading you to believe he died in the cause of freedom?

[edit on 25-1-2008 by Roland Deschain]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
[edit on 25-1-2008 by seagull]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Thank you. If Grady had not come off in such a way, I would have otherwise agreed with you. I have read much he has posted and find it informative. Now, I am disappointed although I have the ability to shrug it off. I didn't mean to be as harsh, but just had a knee jerk reaction. That is unlike me. I am usually very rational.
Anyway, I feel that the same respect could be given to the officer if there would have been a normal funeral. Just as many police officers could have gone to it while not on duty. That was my main question. Why did they go to such an extent for this officer? I just wondered what he did that was above and beyond another fallen officer. I wonder Grady would feel the same if they had a procession like this for a corrupt officer or a military soldier who had committed war crimes. Just because people are in uniform doesn't mean they always deserve respect.
I am sure this officer was a good man. Just touched a nerve with me that's all and if people cannot understand that, while, I am sorry.
Thanks to those who do understand even if they do not agree.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I don't think it was a shot in the dark.

Whether or not it is correct that slain law enforcement officers are grieved and honored by the whole law enforcement community, it is not exactly a new phenomenon and under the circumstances, I would think that anyone would give the benefit of the doubt to the mourners.

Most of us don't belong to such a network and we can't expect that we and our relatives and friends who do not have such a network would receive as much fanfare on their last ride.

I am also skeptical of people who repeatedly say that they mean no disrespect or words to that effect, because in my experience they do in fact wish to offend, but they lack the will to be open about it.

I'm sorry for pale horse's loss, just as I am sorry for all the families who lose loved ones.

It would seem to me that those who respect those who serve would have no problem understanding that faced with such a situation, the best thing to do is to simply show one's respect.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

I am also skeptical of people who repeatedly say that they mean no disrespect or words to that effect, because in my experience they do in fact wish to offend, but they lack the will to be open about it.

This is an unfair judgment to make on everyone Grady. And if you knew me at all, you would know that if I intend to offend, I have no problem airing it. I am sincere in everything I express. So please take that under advisement when responding.

new topics

top topics

join