It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FEMA: Emergency response plans restore local authority

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   

FEMA: Emergency response plans restore local authority

www.blacklistednews.com

WASHINGTON - In the first overhaul of emergency response planning since the botched response to Hurricane Katrina in 2005, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff unveiled a blueprint yesterday that restores authority to state and local officials, emphasizes preparedness and strengthens the Federal Emergency Management Agency...New York officials also hailed the changes and said they were prepared to go to work with FEMA on training...Chertoff cited the coordinated response to the California wildfires as a model for how the framework should work. The next stage will be a nationwide training and exercise program for first responders, he said. "First and foremost, what this is about is working together, which means planning, training, and exercising before a disaster, and then coming together to execute that plan and that training during and after a disaster."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.newsday.com

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Here is a bit of an update. FEMA is now going to be "training" with the local and state officials of disaster preparedness. What is FEMA going to be training these officials. How to respond to any crisis? Aren't most cities already trained in this sort of thing? Why does FEMA have to train them all of a sudden? Maybe this is the initial step in preparing state and local officials for possible martial law scenario and for roundup of civilians. Don't mean to take anything out of context, but it just doesn't make since to me why FEMA has to step in to train when they are only supposed to be there for assistance if needed.
responding to the last section of the article that I submitted in the snippet:
Shouldn't the planning, training, and exercising before a disaster already have been done. Why just start this method now? If FEMA is what is supposed to be, it seems that logically they should have taken this approach from its very inception.

www.blacklistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
"restore local authority", wasn't that one of the directives of Black Water in New Orleans. Sounds really fun for John Q. Citizen.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Aren't most cities already trained in this sort of thing? Why does FEMA have to train them all of a sudden?

No, they arent. Drills to handle large scale disasters are run often in large cities but what about the small towns? FEMA is stepping in to offer their expertise and experience to towns and cities that dont have the level of prepardness to handle large scale disasters.

So while some of you may think that this is a prelude to rounding up citizens or blackwater patrolling your neighborhood this is actually a good thing that helps local authorities and first responders handle incidents of a major nature.

Despite their rotten handling of Katrina, they are still considered the experts in crisis handling.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SwatMedic

Okay, so say you are right. Why is it just know then that FEMA is deciding to go with these tactics. Shouldn't this method of operation have been done a long time ago. I find it hard to believe that it takes a disaster of Katrina's size to make the highest government agency for disaster preparedness come up with the most logical methods of preparing the country. If that is the case, then FEMA should really take another look at itself.
The most basic idea of thought should be to train everyone to be prepared before the disaster comes. Not after the fact.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
This makes me think this is the reason that some here on ATS have been reporting an increase in police patrols at different spots around the country.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by palehorse23

Okay, so say you are right. Why is it just know then that FEMA is deciding to go with these tactics. Shouldn't this method of operation have been done a long time ago. I find it hard to believe that it takes a disaster of Katrina's size to make the highest government agency for disaster preparedness come up with the most logical methods of preparing the country. If that is the case, then FEMA should really take another look at itself.
The most basic idea of thought should be to train everyone to be prepared before the disaster comes. Not after the fact.

Youre correct. This should have been done ages ago but the cluster "F" that was Katrina and the recent success in California fire fights has FEMA taking a long look at itself.

Training everyone is the right idea, but of course it costs money to do that. They are actually on the right track here. I have had a bad experience with FEMA and this is a refreshing change from the ridiculous restrictive methods they used prior.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Ketzer22

I read those threads as well. I, personally, being in a city of around 1 million, have not noticed an increase presence. But that doesn't mean anything. Still suspicious though. I guess you will not know when or how this training will be happening.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Thanks for seeing my point. I do not debate the issue that the idea of FEMA is a great one. Just annoys me how it ends up really getting used by the government. I did a research project on the FEMA camps. Kind of interesting results. Here is a link:
FEMA camps

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by palehorse23
reply to post by Ketzer22

I read those threads as well. I, personally, being in a city of around 1 million, have not noticed an increase presence. But that doesn't mean anything. Still suspicious though. I guess you will not know when or how this training will be happening.

You might see something on the evening news when they work with multiple agencies across the state all at one time. More often its done with no fanfare in local towns or hospitals.

When I was taking my wife to a local hospital last year to deliver our daughter we turned the corner and were faced with police, fire, rescues...I mean dozens of them. They were practicing a mass casualty drill at the hospital. And this was just the local town doing it, no FEMA involvement.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   

When I was taking my wife to a local hospital last year to deliver our daughter we turned the corner and were faced with police, fire, rescues...I mean dozens of them. They were practicing a mass casualty drill at the hospital. And this was just the local town doing it, no FEMA involvement.

That is SOP in most hospitals. I work at a large University Medical Center, and it is a yearly issue with us. I also do work for the medical Examiner and it is also a topic that is handled with them as well. Congrats on your daughter. We just had our first child, boy, 14 months ago.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I see your point and trust me, FEMA is a very powerful organization. They ruined the Katrina rescues and soured alot of people on them...me included.

FEMA put out a call to all local EMT's and Paramedics to assist them in Katrina recovery. I, along with some other locals, were ready to go, drive for 24 hours and register with FEMA in florida and then get shipped to LA.

Just before we left, we were advised that all EMT's and Paramedics would be used in an administrative role, taking information from people displaced from Katrina and relocated in Florida.

They would not allow us to go to LA and assist in medical operations and recovery....which is exactly what we are trained to do.

So, we tried in vain to get ourselves into LA to assist....no such luck.

I dont like FEMA but this new plan can only improve things.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
We just had our first child, boy, 14 months ago.

Congrats, welcome to parenthood. I have 4. Dont want anymore.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   

I guess all the screwed up agencies under this administration have to do all they can just to save face. Too little too late for most IMO.

new topics

top topics

join