It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Real Rose Red

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 12:50 AM
link   
First of all I'd like to recommend every paranormal/ghost fan watch the 4 hour 'mini-series' on DVD of Rose Red. I have been a big paranormal fan for many years now and highly recommend this and think it is the best ghost/haunted house movie I have seen. Unlike house on haunted hill and The Haunted this movie goes into more depth of the characters and gives more or a story. I read somewhere that this movie was based on a real haunted house but can't remember where? How much of the movie is based on the house and stories from the house? I know on the DVD special features there appears to be interviews with apparently the 'real' people, but I remember seeing somewhere that it was a mock thing and they were really actors. Also, is the character of Ellen (Ringwold I think her last name is) who owned the house and was killed by her husband pushing her out the top story window true?? Did that really happen in the house that the movie was based on??

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
It certainly looks as if King did base his story on the factual account of a 'haunted house'.

If the story sounds somewhat familiar to ghost buffs, there�s a reason for that. In an interview with TV Guide, King admits that the story was inspired by the Winchester Mansion in San Jose, California. He first saw the story of the house in one of the �Ripley�s Believe it or Not� comics when he was a kid and remembered it for years after. �According to �Believe it or Not��, King recalled, �Oliver Winchester, who invented the famous repeating rifle that won the west, left a daughter-in-law with a belief in Spiritualism when he went to his reward. At one seance, Sarah Winchester asked the medium, �When will I die?� .... the medium replied, �When your house is done�.�

Stephen King Mini-Series on ABC Inspired by A Real-Life Ghost Story

The Winchester House

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
if you ever have the chance to go there, the Winchester House is very very cool. Creepy place. They give guided tours that leave a lot of the house out. In the 70s my Dad's friend worked on the grounds and gave us a full tour at night...I was only 9yrs old, but I can remember it like yesterday

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by sugeshotcha
First of all I'd like to recommend every paranormal/ghost fan watch the 4 hour 'mini-series' on DVD of Rose Red. I have been a big paranormal fan for many years now and highly recommend this and think it is the best ghost/haunted house movie I have seen. Unlike house on haunted hill and The Haunted this movie goes into more depth of the characters and gives more or a story. I read somewhere that this movie was based on a real haunted house but can't remember where? How much of the movie is based on the house and stories from the house? I know on the DVD special features there appears to be interviews with apparently the 'real' people, but I remember seeing somewhere that it was a mock thing and they were really actors. Also, is the character of Ellen (Ringwold I think her last name is) who owned the house and was killed by her husband pushing her out the top story window true?? Did that really happen in the house that the movie was based on??

Never saw it, but an old friend of mine is in it.

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Pisky: wow, that is so cool. So she really did keep on building on rooms to try and stay 'immortal'?? Also, does anyone know of anyone who has strayed off the guided tour and explored the house themselves??

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Rose Red deffinetly. Thte best haunted house movie i've seen

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   
pisky: i'm still waiting for your reply? AD5673, I'm almost on par points with you

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by sugeshotcha
pisky: i'm still waiting for your reply? AD5673, I'm almost on par points with you

Oops, sorry - I meant to reply but got sidetracked

Yes, the story is definitely true. Have a look at the link at the bottom of this post - it contains virtually everything about the house, including a Quicktime movie.

It is believed that after the untimely deaths of her baby daughter and husband, son of the Winchester Rifle manufacturer, Mrs. Winchester was convinced by a medium that continuous building would appease the evil spirits of those killed by the famous "Gun that Won the West" and help her attain eternal life. Certainly her $20,000,000 inheritance was sufficient to support her obsession until her death at 82!

Winchester Mystery House

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
S'definately true. I recently moved, but I have the published diary of Mrs. Winchester laying around here somewhere...or something along those lines, I never got around to reading the whole thing, but it was pretty interesting

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Ahhh, I'm glad someone bought this up! I remember renting the DVD with a friend and could never remember the title of it after! That was one amazinf film - I was watching the extras on it and was absolutely fascinated by it...
So thank you

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
the house rose red isnt real. Neither is the story of ellen rimbauer , unfortunately, the "diary" was a good read.

www.prairieghosts.com...

Stephen King apparenty admitted in an interview that the story was based on the Winchester Mystery house.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
You might be surprised!
www.roseredmystery.com...

There's definitely Winchester Mystery House all over it, but with a unique twist as King is so wonderful at doing with any tale.

There's also the traditional poltergeist theme - a house built on Indian burial ground.

Lots of borrowed inspiration.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The books are excellent, and the Diary of Ellen Rimbauer was also made into a pretty decent movie as well...(though of course, the books are far, far better)...(and more graphic).....

new topics

top topics

join