It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Talk to me about Wiccans

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I'm curious what these people do. I was discussing absinthe distilling techniques with a connoisseur friend of mine and he mentioned his friend a wiccan who grows her own wormwood in her backyard. Apparently they drink absinthe before some of their rituals. I prodded him to tell me more about the reasons why and what kind of rituals and he didn't really know. He said they only talked about absinthe and traded herbs and he himself isn't a wiccan so he never attended any rituals. So I'm curious what is it that they do in these rituals? Do they dance around a fire? Do they drink absinthe for the psychotropic aspect to gain visions kind of like a sacrament? Does the combination make them clairvoyant or is it just an indulgence?

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
it is most likely to induce a state of enhanced preconception and sensation. drinking wormwood (absenth) is not a necessary element of wiccan practice. wormwood is of the sage family (salvia), a family that is considered to have may plants with many magical properties, wormwood one of particular diversity and strength. if you are interested in what it is wiccans do in ritual and with herbs you should look it up for yourself the internet is over flowing with information. i can assure you if your not into earth religion than your are not missing out on much (no disrespect meant to any wiccan members).

[edit on 24-1-2008 by Animal]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by merryxmas

I'd be interested in knowing what country you live in.

I have never heard of wiccans using absinthe in rituals, but then again I do not know much about wiccans.

I do know that absinthe (made with wormwood) has been illegal in the US since the early 1900's.

Wormwood is an FDA controlled substance when it comes to products for human consumption.

Also, it's illegal to distill your own alcoholic products for distribution or personal use unless you get a license for it through the dept. of ATF.

I suppose all your friends know this if they live in the US, correct?

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Wormwood is considered one of the sacred herbs that are part of the Pagans toolkit.

Absinthe is not commonly used in Wiccan circles, although obviously some do.

Typically any consumption of alcohol is not until after the rituals have ended....they often refer to it as the celebration of cakes and ale.

Wiccan is just another Pagan belief structure, although Wiccan is often a catch all phrase for anyone Pagan due to the numerous different aspects it includes.

Some are Dianic groups meaning woman only, and of course there are family groups as well.

A Earth/Nature based belief system that worships many gods and goddesses.
However each member usually has there own specific gods and godesses that they feel a connection with, so not everyone has the same ones.

There's a little taste for you.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

I have been able to get absinthe in the Us for years. Also I do believe that restrictions on it were just lifted or drastically reduced not too long ago. I will have to go poke around for some clear info on that.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Your right it has once again become legal here in the states, however the amount of wormwood and it's properties are almost non existent when compared to the real deal. But, of course many know the trick to concentrate it.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

I believe what you are getting is thujone free absinthe, which means it doesn't have the wormwood in it. That is legal. The kind made with wormwood is not.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Hi guys!
I have been Wiccan since I was 13.
Wormwood is sometimes used in astro travel, supposedly to help enduce the "dream state." They made potions with it, that they drank called "Flying Potions". A.K.A tea.
*SNIP* was also sometimes used for the astro travel too.
I personally have never used either, but i have read it in nurmous books.
Traditonal Wiccans/Pagans do rituals to celebrate the diffrent seasons. [Summer, winter, Fall, Spring] These rituals consist of an offering to the god/goddess of food and wine. Sometimes there are skits performed, like for Yule, people will act out the rebrith of our god.
Here this might help more.....
en.wikipedia.org...

Mod Edit: The Discussion Of "Illegal Activity" On The Above Network Sites (ATS, BTS, AP). – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 27-1-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Harry Potter had it for a test at hogwart's.
Here the professor is telling him the answer in sorcerer's stone;

Professor Severus Snape: "For your information Potter, Asphodel and Wormwood make a sleeping potion so powerful it is known as the Draught of the Living Death, a Bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat and will save you from most poisons. As for Monkshood and Wolfsbane, they are the same plant which also goes by the name of Aconite. Well, why aren't you all copying this down?"

Asphodel is '___'.

[edit on 25-1-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
Harry Potter had it for a test at hogwart's.
Here the professor is telling him the answer in sorcerer's stone;

Professor Severus Snape: "For your information Potter, Asphodel and Wormwood make a sleeping potion so powerful it is known as the Draught of the Living Death, a Bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat and will save you from most poisons. As for Monkshood and Wolfsbane, they are the same plant which also goes by the name of Aconite. Well, why aren't you all copying this down?"

Asphodel is '___'.

[edit on 25-1-2008 by Clearskies]

Clearskies,

You really need to get a grip on reality! The Harry Potter Stories are works of FICTION.

'___' is a chemical compound - it has NOTHING to do with Asphodel which is a flowering plant from the lily family which has absolutly no psychedelic effets.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
This is fascinating. I always thought that Wiccans just made Wicker furniture! *POOOF* Uh--^help^ Can anybody please help me get a sip of coffee? I seem to have turned into a Toad.....

Mod Note: Please Stay on Topic

[edit on 27-1-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
-Retract-

Asphodel is not '___'.
I thought it was without looking it up.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Clearskies:

I have been practicing Magick for many years and am a Pagan Witch. I never heard of anyone using absinthe before a ritual.
None of the "Magick" in Harry Potter is real, I've read the books and can tell you that for a fact, none of the Magick in the books is based on anything like real Magick. The author has also said that she knows no Magick and just made things up for her books.

Harry Potter is a fantasy; something you sound very familiar with CS.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
You and pavlovsdog seem to concentrate on ME instead of the message.

I don't believe harry potter is real. I said asphodel is not '___'.
Absinthe is the only one with (sort-of) hallucinagenic properties.
and insulting me seems to be a big part of what you post.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
CS: If you knew it was fantasy, then why did you post that there was a recipe for '___' in Harry Potter??

I have never insulted you. I HAVE told you to do some research, because you post about things you really don't know much about and get alot of your information screwed up; which doesn't help anyone - including your own credibility. My "fantasy" reference is because, well, you make things up. I'm sure at the time you think you're right, but nevertheless, you post alot of fantasies.
If you think I aim my posts at you (which I'm not, I'm just responding to your fallacies) it's because you post so much incorrect information, that I'm trying to debunk the untruths to get to the truth, or at least a logical conclusion.
This thread is about Wicca; something I know alot about. The OP asked about Wiccan practices. I'm sure you can understand that I will answer to any misconceptions about my religion.

You, OTOH, have spent alot of bandwidth insulting my religion and calling it evil.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Out of my friends who have belief systems, Wiccan is most prominent among them. We have long discussions about life, the universe and everything but it is pointless to share it here because I'm ironically told I'm wrong, narrow-minded, and evangelizing...which is interesting because these friends say I'm the most open-minded person they know. Must be the forums. To the original poster, I'm not sure you'll find a carte-blanc way of doing things. I've noticed a variance between one practitioner to another. Christianity is pretty dependable, since there is one Book, one God, one Way. Not so much for Wiccan literature. My U.S. Wiccan friends seem to have a different take on things than my U.K. Wiccan friends, though some similarities exist. Many hold to "Do as thou will" which could be the reason behind the variance. Some agree it is a form of hedonism, others vehemently deny. Some will tag on "but harm none (or no one)" though seems to be dropped by more experienced in craft.

[edit on 25-1-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
You and pavlovsdog seem to concentrate on ME instead of the message.

Absinthe is the only one with (sort-of) hallucinagenic properties.

Wrong again. Absinthe is not the only thing you listed with hallucinogenic properties. Wormwood itself can produce altered states as well as Monkshead (which is poisonous if taken internally)

No, I'm not concentrating on you instead of the message. Your message just happens to be incorrect in many instances.

Furthermore......

The title of this thread would seem to preclude you from sticking your nose in. You are a Fundamentalist Christian. Please, if someone asks 'someone pls tell me about Extreme Christanity, witness to me please - I need the GOOD NEWS'

then you should JUMP RIGHT IN. That would be your baliwhack. Dont jump off in a thread like this with references to works of fiction when someone is asking for information on a religion which you obviously have no first hand knowledge of.

And no, I'm not Wiccian. Anymore
Just like I'm not a Christian. Anymore

But having been there, done that, got the 'e' ticket - I can speak with a little authority on both.
edit - I wrtoe this reply BEFORE reading forestlady's last. I guess GMTA!

[edit on 25-1-2008 by pavlovsdog]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I've never heard anyone say "Do as thou Will". If they did, it's incorrect. It's only part of the statement "Do as thou will an it harm none."

"Harm none" being the key idea here.
I say this because some folks who are anti-Magick/witchcraft, etc. quote only the first part and point to it being a sign that our religions are evil. Most I know subscribe to the princple of the 3 fold Law - which is to say that everything you do, including evil, will come back to you 3 fold.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
To help illustrate how personal Wicca can be...

I've only heard it as 'An it harm none, do as thou will" not with the two phrases reversed or with one phrase truncated.

We wont even try to get into

"Love is the Law, Love under will"
which should NOT be construed as Wiccan

[edit on 25-1-2008 by pavlovsdog]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Hi Pavlov: Both ways are correct and they are used interchangeably.
And yes, Wicca and Paganism are very individualistic and personal.
Thanks for clarifying that the last phrase is not Wiccan.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join