It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SitX and the elderly..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
This is a topic which I feel hasn't been given due consideration. We're an aging nation, and the elderly represent a large percentage of the population. During a major upheaval what is to become of the senior members of our families and community? Many have mobility issues and serious health concerns that will need to be addressed.

I cannot conceive leaving them out of my preparations, but at the same time, I haven't really devoted the time deserved to their inclusion. If sheltering in place were an option, I imagine many of these issues could easily be dealt with, but what if the worse happened, and you had to bug out?

What If cars and trucks were not an option? How would you transport these valued members of your group safely from place to place? A trek through the woods would be tiring even for someone with uncompromised health, much less an individual that is elderly or physically impaired.

My father-in-law is such a person, and I'm remiss to say I never really consider this matter in my bugout preps. He'd definitely be a contributing member to the group even at his age, but I doubt he could keep up without assistance. I'd go so far to say that his knowledge of farming, woodscraft, animal husbandry, and common sense would be of much more value than my strong back.

I really need to do some thinking on this matter, and would appreciate any suggestions you might have, or provisions you've personally made for the elderly or impaired in your family.

[edit on 1/24/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
LLoyd,
I don't have any easy or pat answers, but thats a very significant question.
I was reminded of the elderly folks in an assisted living facility in New Orleans, and how they died because there was no effort or provision for getting them out.
On one hand I can think of arguments for the " every man/woman for themselves " mentality, but then i have to consider whether a world populated by those kind of folks would be worth trying to save.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I think that would be a question best addressed by your elderly relative. They are the ones who would have to decide what they would do and if they wanted to live in a SitX. You couldn't force them to go along with you if they didn't want to. Would remove their freedom of choice. If they wanted to go then discuss with them how you should approach a bug out, where to go, they might know of some good places. I am only saying this because of something my grandmother once said to me " I don't want to be a burden to you". (Not that she was) but i have seen this attitude in several of my relatives. Don't know if this will help or not, just my 2 cents.

join