It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tax rebates deal announced

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SectionEight
The non taxpayers will be giving it all to the corner crack dealer so it will not end up in the economy. WTF were they thinking? On the other side wtf does a 75,000 a year income family have to do with a lousy $300, that is chump change and an insult. That won't even cover the interest for a few days on all their loans and credit.

Sorry but my husband and I are on Social Security Disability and we could use that money for medications , doctors, shelter and food.
I agree with the other poster. The government just sweeps the poor and elderly under the rug in this country.

Up until 2 years ago my husband was a hard worker all of his life and contributed taxes to this country for over 45 years and this is what he gets for it. NOTHING!!
Because of our "low" income we don't have to pay taxes.

NOTHING!!

[edit on 24-1-2008 by MagicaRose]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I would not call this a band-aid, because that implies (1) the economy is something that can be fixed, and (2) that the government can fix it. Neither is the case. You cannot "fix" cyclical economic recessions, only delay them and make them worse. Which is what the government is doing. If BOTH parties weren't so concerned with gaining political capital out of this, maybe they'd do the right thing: STAY OUT of the economy.

I know this would be a good time to start ranting about "unjust wars" and stuff because that's cool now, but we should stop ALL pointless spending. No rebates. No pointless social programs. No wars.

Ah, but we can dream...

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MagicaRose

What did you get for it?

Welfare. Infrastructure. The ability to have any contracts you entered to mediated by a court system, if you choose. The luxury of not having your state taken over by a foreign government.

All these things costs enormous amounts of money. I know its fashionable and popular to think otherwise, but even though the government doesn't hand you huge sums of cash money doesn't mean tax dollars go into a void. There is much pointless spending, but you are really not looking around you if you don't see what that tax money pays for. Could it be used more efficiently? Absolutely. But you benefit, whether you want to see it or not.

The government sweeps the poor and elderly away? I WORK to make $20,000 a year, and even though I pay almost no taxes I am FORCED to pay for YOUR social security and YOUR medicare and medicaid. No matter how little I make, portions are taken from me and given to you, and by the time I'm old enough for social security I will get nothing. I wish we would actually sweep those programs under the rug. End them all, and give me my money back.

It is unfair to give people like me a check when I don't pay any federal income taxes. But it's also unfair to steal my money and give it out for social security welfare. Two wrongs don't make a right, but I'll be taking the check anyways..and saving it.

[edit on 24-1-2008 by LightinDarkness]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
So, a minimum earner, say $3,000, will get $300 back. That's a 10% return. That's great, someone who pays the least amount of taxes gets a 10% bonus.

On the other hand, those of us who work our tail off, provide for our family and freelance on the side (yes, declared and taxed), will get a 0.8% bonus. Wow!

Thanks!

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SectionEight
The non taxpayers will be giving it all to the corner crack dealer so it will not end up in the economy. WTF were they thinking?

Only people who make at least $3000 (meaning they have a job) but don't have to pay income taxes will be getting it. Not all non taxpayers will be recieving something.

On the other side wtf does a 75,000 a year income family have to do with a lousy $300, that is chump change and an insult. That won't even cover the interest for a few days on all their loans and credit.

Most people will be getting $600+ (the $300 was for those mentioned above)
Families recieve $1200+ depending on kids.

It starts to lessen for INDIVIDUALS making $75,000+ (for families it $150,000+ - again depending on kids).

I understand complaints about this but please know what you're complaing about

In the short term this won't hurt the economy and hopefully people will use this money to either pay down debts (which will leave them with a bit more disposable income so they can buy) or buy AMERICAN.
Long term.....we'll see. Hard to predict right now since we're about to change administrations and don't know what their fiscal policy will be. Last time this happened, 9/11 occured and we had these wars.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Public bail out? Bandage? Stimulus package?

CALL IT WHAT IT IS, A BRIBE!!! Bribe the people to think the government will take care of them, while the boarder stays open, and their young are sacrificed in wars!

RON PAUL!!

NUFF SAID!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
What utter nonsense.

:shk:

I'd much rather they use the money to fund the prosecution of the criminals who put us in this hole to begin with!!!

In the long run, that would be much more helpful, imo.

[edit on 24-1-2008 by loam]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicaRose

Sorry but my husband and I are on Social Security Disability and we could use that money for medications , doctors, shelter and food.

Because of our "low" income we don't have to pay taxes.

I hear you,
i'm in the same boat, don't make any or enough to pay taxes on a 1040 return, but i have been filing every year for the last 10 years to report no 'income' other than the $10,188.oo i get in disability which is tax free.

but out of that SS money i pay real & sales & property taxes along with various excise taxes and 911 levies... so myself along with millions of others caught in the govt visegrip will not get any $300 or $600 'rebate'
or 'stimulus package' bonus check from uncle sam.

my letter to Sen. Lindsey Graham fell on either deaf ears or the heirarchy in power above him said----pppffffttttttttt! to my kind!

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

You want to throw every single sub-prime borrower and lender in jail? I think that would get quite expensive. Probably more expensive than the current plan.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Let go back to the basis here now.

This stimulus package is going to cost to all of us.

It comes with a price tag,

Let start with the overall package cost,

1- Cash rebates,
2- Business brakes
3- Other proposals

Worth 150 billion dollars, but it can got into 200 billion or more, because we are an economy already in debt this package will not pay on itself.

So this will be add to the already deficit that our nation have, the federal budget deficit this year will increase to $219 billion or 1.5 percent of gross domestic product - and even more if increased military funding is approved. And that doesn't count the cost of a stimulus plan

money.cnn.com...

So our morons in Washington are just going to look all nice and magnanimous and just add more debt to an already irreparable deficit,.

Life is just wonderful.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
What utter nonsense.

:shk:

I'd much rather they use the money to fund the prosecution of the criminals who put us in this hole to begin with!!!

In the long run, that would be much more helpful, imo.

[edit on 24-1-2008 by loam]

We've been in a hole since the founding of this country. I think it's a little too late to prosecute them

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightinDarkness
You want to throw every single sub-prime borrower and lender in jail?

No. Just the dishonest ones.

Despite what people seem to think, there is nothing inherently wrong with sub-prime lending. But once fraud entered into the equation....well, we are all seeing the consequences of that.

I actually think it is unfortunate that the ultimate outcome of this will be to legislate out of existence the sub-prime lending market. It did serve a legitimate purpose. But I also find it even more troubling that the crooks who broke the system have managed to line their pockets at everyone's expense and have simply disappeared into the night...

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I would love to pocket some extra cash...well, go shopping LOL

However, if Im going to have to report this "gift" on my taxes next year and have it negatively affect my taxs.....then I dont want it. What is the point for me.

I mean, I can understand if a family is having a hard time - that $1200+ could get some needed things. However, how will they pay the taxes owed on it next year?

Am I understanding all of this correctly? We will have to pay taxes on this right?

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

I'm sure at one point in time, these people paid this unconstitutional tax, and I'm also sure even when they get this refund, it wont replenish what was stolen from them while they did...

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
LigthinDarkness,

What did we get for it? Absolutely nothing.
We are not on Welfare.
Infrastructure? We could care less about that at this point in our lives.
Medicine and food are more important.
The ability to have access to the court system?
We've never needed that and we don't now.
The luxury of not having a foreign government taking over my state???
We feel like a foreign country has taken over our government.
By the way, we could care less about how much all of this costs. We are just trying to survive until we die.
The government does sweep the poor and elderly under the rug and they try their best to pretend we don't exist but the fact is we do exist and we're being ignored by the very country that we have fought for and paid taxes to for over 45 years.
So you make 20,000.00 a year?
Big deal!
My husband made more than you and he paid alot of taxes into this government and he has paid for every single cent of Social Security Disability that he gets every month.
Since you pay almost NO taxes I suppose my daughter and Grandsons will be paying for your Welfare when you become old.
Maybe you should get a better paying job so you can pay more taxes.
If you're not going to have a Social Security check maybe you should save some money for your old age.
If its so "unfair" as you say to "give" you a check why don't you donate it to a charity that helps the less fortunate in this society?
By the way, My husband and I don't receive Medicare or Medicaid or any other government help.
We saved money over all those years and we pay for everything we need out of our savings.
You sound like a very angry person.

[edit on 24-1-2008 by MagicaRose]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Baby Kissing replaced by outright Bribery
Gives me the Warm Fuzzys

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
We should be spending less time complaining about who gets what back, and more time complaining about why any of us pay this unconstitutional bs in the first place...

as far as the percentages, some will complain, but the guy making 3k sure needs this more then the guy making 80k. I'm sorry but if your making 80k a year and are having financial problems, I don't feel sorry for you...

the guy making 3k can barely afford his rent, where as the guy making 80k probably shouldn't have been buying a bunch of crap that in reality he couldn't afford...

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by MagicaRose

I can only say that you live in an alternate reality if you do not understand that while government is inefficient and wastes lots of money, you get things for your taxes that wars are fought over in other countries. I once had a graduate class and sat by a student who is a local government administrator in Kenya. She talked about how, in her country, the central government is having to deal with roaming gangs of militants who are literally driving around and slaughtering people on a massive scale. She was surprised to see how big of a deal drive by shootings are in the United States, since in her country those things happen on a scale 1000x larger and are so common they often don't even appear on the state-controlled media.

No matter how bad you think you have it, you cannot begin to imagine the suffering people in other countries, like Kenya, have it. There they pay far more taxes than you do, but only have to worry about everything on a level you cannot imagine.

You just want government handouts - sorry, I don't think anyone deserves one. You get what you pay for. Infrastructure, social programs, free public education, and a relative stability. Inefficient - absolutely - but it is there nonetheless. And - in the eyes of those in other countries - it seems like paradise.

That you think government should cater to you personally because you somehow no longer "care" about infrastructure does not change the reality that you used it and you continue to use it. You don't care about clean water, roads, and the legal right to have your grievance heard in a court? Interesting, because if you didn't have that you'd be outraged and screaming about - as you should.

Your attempt to insult me has failed. My point is that I make very little money, although I assure you I'll make much more than "your husband" by the end of my career. I don't really care though, because my quality of life is not measured in dollars. If it is for you, I am sorry. My point was that I'm getting a rebate check even though I don't pay taxes - and I don't deserve it - just like I don't deserve having my money stolen from me and given to your welfare (SSDI is welfare, collecting from a private insurance program or company disability plan is not). SSDI funding ratios show that no one who draws from it is actually getting out "what they paid in" - in fact, most people are getting far more than they paid out - by taking my money and the money of others who do not use SSDI but must pay anyways.

If anyone is being swept under the rug, it is people like me who make little money but still have portions of our income stolen to pay for PROGRAMS YOU ARE USING like SSDI. I already donate a good percent of my income to charity, but I don't talk about it because I don't feel the need to inflate my ego or impress anyone. But I should be able to choose the charity, and not have my money stolen to give to other people by government decree.

You see, your grandsons won't be paying for my welfare because I'm actually planning my financial future. I won't be needing a government handout. I've been below the poverty line several times before my life, and never did take a government handout even though I more than qualified. But I made adjustments to my life style. I survived, and I will again if and when I find myself back in poverty.

You sound like a very angry person, but your insults and attempts to demean those who you disagree with says everything I need to know
It shows your maturity when you "add me as a foe" because you are enraged that I'm not sympathizing with you - again, that says everything I need to know.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by LightinDarkness

Nearly everything you listed, isn't paid for via the income tax...

www.uhuh.com...

but I agree with most of what you've said.

But you do however deserve back everything you ever paid into it no more no less, once you understand where that money goes you'll understand why you do..

[edit on 24-1-2008 by C0le]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Smoke and mirrors IMHO.

Also I fail to understand how and why peopel who pay NO taxes should get a dime :shk:

According to the Dems, wealthy people and well to do families with children where polled to be far more likely to put money in savings or pay off debt, mostly credit card debt...

However, poor people would spend the money on "fun" .. Something shiny to spur the economy...

Oh wait..

But it is not supposed to sound like that! ...

Its supposed to be "we want to help the poor because Reps only care about the wealthy!"

Its a none-partisan bill pretty much, give money to people, but as much money to those who will waist it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join