It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political Correctness. Here I Go Again.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
OK. I've never shied away from a topic which can undoubtedly become politically IN-correct.
This is my rant due to a thread started by keyhole:
www.belowtopsecret.com...

This is SO far over the top.
I'm going to go in directions in this post that some might find offensive.
I apologize in advance.
It is not my intention to insult, berate, or offend anyone. But when a story as innocent as "The Three Little Pigs" offends someone, I have to assume that I just might end up offending someone. That being said I can't turn my back on this issue.

Politically correct.

I am offended by so called political correctness.

There are so many examples over the years.
I will start with my own people. I am a 2nd generation American whose grandparents came from Italy.
One of my favorite commercials was "That was a speecy, spicey, meat-a ball" for Alka Seltzer. A VERY FEW Italians made a stink, and the commercial was pulled. Ridiculous.

So many other examples. The Frito Bandito offended some Mexicans - and his little song was one that you couldn't get out of your head.

Sambo's (Now known as Denny's) had to change it's name because it offended some of the Black community. Funny thing is, is that the Sambo story tells a tale of how a young black child outsmarted a Tiger.

There are so many examples. I could go on for pages.

Now we actually give time to listen to how an Atheist spends the courts time and tax dollars trying to get 'In God We Trust' wiped off of American currency.

A random couple of people are now offended at the 3 little pigs. What else is offensive these days? Hot cross buns. God forbid anyone says Merry Christmas.

OK, I'm going to just say it.

TOO BAD.

If I climb on a soap box with a megaphone and call the muslim community, or any other community for that matter, a slanderous name then I am wrong and deserve persecution.
If however I climb on that same soap box with the same megaphone and read from a book of tales - exactly as written - to a group of children, then what is wrong with that? Offensive because some don't eat pork? I see no correlation. I don't eat big bad wolf, and the thought of that wolf huffing and puffing his stinky dog breath on me isn't an aphrodisiac, but are you kidding me? The thought of trying to stop the story from being told never even crossed my mind, nor would it ever.

Are there things that offend me? Of course there are. There are things that offend everyone. It's called life.
Deal with it, or find some place else to call home where your feelings won't be hurt. I know it sounds callous. But that really is how I feel.

Why a nation of more than 300 million people is willing to bow down because a handful of people are offended is beyond me. Why should several hundred million people be stripped of their right to enjoy things that frankly are not offensive, so that a very few will be appeased?

Sorry. I just don't get it.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Imagine what you could of come up with if you "got to thinking".

* Braces Self *

I agree with you on much of what you say here. Our society has taken political correctness to a whole new level, and it's stench is almost unbearable. At some point someone needs to stand up and say, "Enough is enough!" and leave this alone.

From children's tales to "Ho Ho Ho's", is anything safe anymore?

I don't believe in generalizations, which can come into play on political correctness. But that's not what is being discussed here.

If a politician made this a part of their platform, I wonder who our man lombozo would be voting for?

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I'm not sure why people care what other people think. Hell I wouldn't even be offended if you went on a soapbox and did indeed call muslims every slur you could think of The problem wouldn't be on the muslim side if you did it, it'd be with you. And that's the truth with all prejudice, and something all people need to realize. The weakness doesn't reside in the slandered but in the slanderer.

Nothing anyone can say about you will change who you are. sticks and stones, and what have you.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
lombozo,

I am not into PC and recognize it as a type of guilt conditioning. It is a underhanded method of allowing a default setting to play through unchallanged or unrestricted while restricting others. It is becoming quite common as a tool for hijacking America..particularly by politics...which also finances public education.
Pardon the crudity but I call PC by another name...flatulence.

The sickenig thing to me about much of this PC nonsense is that the default areas where this nonsense is likely to play through are California and New York. For some reason these two states ..California in particular are often utililzed in the news and media to infer that this is what all of America is striving to become. IF you want to know what is happening in America look at these two states. They are ....PC. They are by default the trend setters in American social fabric.

No thanks ..not intrested in this kind of flatulence.

These PC actions are likely to be played out in these two states first.

Well....perhapsed this one .."the three little piggies" will be played out in Michigan first...but you get my point about PC.
I resent the concept inferred that these two states are examples of America and what is coming that is all American. Not intrested in what is happening in these two states...or PC.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Signature by ATS member:

Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I'd not heard or seen that sig.
Wish I had thought to pen those words.
OK, Now I need to sit and do some thinkin' and stuff!

To quote that weight liftin', terminator bein', california governin' bastaad - 'I'll be back'.......

[edit on 25-1-2008 by lombozo]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Lombozo?

"Give them an inch...they'll take yer smile."

Ever since someone coined the phrase: Politically Correct, everyone and their dog jumped on the wagon.

All for the sake of NOT OFFENDING anyone.

Talk about 'pulling straws' out of the 3 little pigs houses? (sorry for the bad pun)

The question is:

How far will this go?

We're banning books from schools for such and such reasons, we're attacking children's fables, we're diluting the hell outta our society. Pretty soon there won't be any more flavor to taste.

Pretty screwy eh?

~Ducky~

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I love it. Best laugh in a week. Hog lard on challah. Glad I'm retiring the irony is killing me. LOL. Trois petite cochon/goinfire. I'm also glad it's so very simple for some. I applaud the effort.

Vic

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by lombozo

Dude I completely know where your coming from on this, I saw it on the Beeb and then posted it here but Keyhole had beat me to it and Jbird closed it. My bad!

The bit that really made me giggle was about the builders. I've known plenty of them over the years and I can't see any of them getting even slightly offended, it's just laughable.

MonKey

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
This PC crap has gone waaaaaaaaaay too far.

I work in a prison, a close custody male prison, I'm a woman we have lots of women working there; no big deal.

New hire goes to the break room and hears some of the stafff; both male and female joking. Mind you they aren't talking to her; she just over hears them. She gets offended; she comes to me the nice shop steward and wants to file paperwork against them. I ask why? Were they directing the jokes to or against you? No. Then why? Well because the jokes were crude. So I say to her guess what young lady you are in a close custody male prison you are going to see and hear things you would just as soon NOT see or hear; I suggest strongly that you get a thicker skin and as long as they aren't directed at you learn to ignore.

She gets offended by the truth and complains about me because I support sexual harassment. WHAT???

I don't support her desire to control the conversation of those around her and how in the heck is joking between coworkers not involving her harassement in any form.

Do we now have to watch every word we utter for fear of some one overhearing us and being offended? That is a load of doodoo.

We are turning into a society that allows itself to be controlled in just about every aspect; from childrens tales to jokes between adults all in guise of not offending. Get over it people. When will people learn to mind their own business? When we bend over backwards to avoid offending anyone we ultimately end up offending just about everyone.

:bnghd:

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   
why do people say dwarfs are "vertically challenged?"

why does cookie monster now have to call them "somtimes foods"?

they removed fat cat from the telly because cats dont wear tie's and bowler hats, and because hes a mute.

then they bitched about humphrey not wearing pants and.. yep.. .you guessed it - because he's also a mute

and as a little kid i had a golliwog but if i asked for one of them now i'd be labelled racist.

[edit on 27/1/08 by Obliv_au]

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I think the Golliwogs were a little close to the bone thou, being as in the original book one of them was called Nigger. Language evolves, word meanings change, I mean you can't even have a gay day anymore!

Ho Hum pigs bum.

Pish posh lemon squash.

MonKey

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by lombozo

ARGHHHHH!!!! DON'T get me started on Political correctness!!.

This is one of the main reasons I think politics and politicians(expecially politician wannabees)are outdated and a bunch of sad lonely old farts respectively.

If we are talking REAL persecution fair enough.. ie violent,persistent harrassment of subject in question.
But when we come down to getting police involved in the face of a bit of humour.. well that infringes MY rights to get through life by taking the p*ss out of anything and everything, INCLUDING myself(especially myself).

Being of mixed German/Dutch/Irish AND Scottish descent(Don't ask me) I can get away with most things by my claim to heritage of said joke/comment.

I remember Stan Boardman being BANNED from the TV after his fantastic joke about Germans bombing his local chippy..

"It was a Fokker.."

"NO.. THAT Fokker was a Messerschmidt"..

I mean C,MONNNN!!

If someone extracts the urine out of an effeminate gay guy,it's usually because of the way he walks or talks.. or his body language.. (NOT coz he likes playing with man-parts)
.Gawd I know I laugh when someone takes a hit of helium from a party balloon and tries to sing Barry white..
Am I ''PITCHIST' Because I think it sounds funny??.

I laughed my *ss off at one of this seasonsAmerican Idiot(sorry Idol) 'sob stories' because one LARGE girl wanted to get through because her Mom was 'Sick!"

Then IN they wheel 'MOM'!!! Self-inflicted Pie-shoved down the throat syndrome!!

Her greed had surpassed her legs ability to carry her..was it funny?? HELL YEAH!! AND sickening at the same time.Kids starving all over the world..ARRGGGGHHHH and we are supposed to feel sorry for her????ARRGGGGHHHH!

Great thread Lombozo.. this is only my first installment of accompanying rant..Gotta go for walk to cool down.

I'm Catholic.. wait till I get to Catholic priests lol!!..

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   
This was floating around at work and I thought I'd share.

How To Speak About Women And Be Politically Correct:

1) She is not a "babe" or a "chick"-she is a "breasted American."
2) She is not a "screamer" or a "moaner"-she is "vocally appreciative."
3) She is not "easy"-she is "horizontally accessible."
4) She is not a "dumb blonde"- she is a "light -haired detour off the information superhighway."
5) She has not "been around"-she is a "previously enjoyed companion."
6) She is not an "airhead"- she is "reality impaired."
7) She does not get "drunk" or "tipsy"-she gets "chemically inconvenienced."
8) She does not have "breast implants"-she is "medically enhanced."
9) She does not "nag" you-she becomes "verbally repetetive.
10) She is not a "tramp"-she is sexually extroverted."
11) She does not have "major league hooters"-she is "pectorally superior."
12) She is not a "two-bit hooker"-she is a "low cost provider."

How To Speak About Men And Be Politically Correct:

1) He does not have a "beer gut"he has a developed a "liquid grain storage facility."
2) He is not a "bad dancer"-he is "overly caucasian."
3) He does not "get lost all the time"-he "investigates alternative destinations."
4) He is not "balding"-he is in "follicle regression."
5) He is not a "cradle robber"-he prefers "generational differential relationships."
6) He does not get "falling-down drunk"- he becomes "accidentally horizontal."
7) He does not act like a "total ass"-he develops a case of "rectal-cranial inversion."
8) He is not a "male chauvinist pig"-he has "swine empathy."
9) He is not afraid of "committment"-he is "relationship challenged."
10) He is not "horny"-he is "sexually focused."
11) It's not his "crack" you see hanging out of his pants-it's "rear cleavage."

Please use your best judgment when referring to these people, so as to make it more comfortable for the rest of us.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Am I the only one that thought this was hilarious? I especially liked the "overly caucasian" definition. Not only is it funny as a definition for "bad dancer" but it totally negates any attempt to avoid offending a specific group of people. So much for touchy-feely politically correct.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I think this thread needs to be removed immediately. To people who support political correctness, this thread is very offensive! I mean, think of all the people out there who just had their opinion challenged. It makes me shudder. While we're on that topic, the term "political correctness" offends me too. "Correctness?" Really? This assumes that there is some universal way to be correct, and that won't fly! That's offensive to everybody out there who doesn't agree with this particular definition of correct. Also, take a look at this:

Political Correctness
******Co*r****ss
or
Cross.

That's it - nobody is allowed to use such an offensive term until somebody finds an alternative way to phrase it. I think that for now, we should all just not speak so that we can be SURE that we don't offend anybody.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
no such thing as political correctness, now its "screw you i want it MY way", another example of one religion imposing itself on every other religion, me I'm not to religious, and I'm glad, this is getting bad, and worse by the second

top topics

join