It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girl Spontaneously Changes Blood Type After Transplant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Girl switches blood type after liver transplant in first known case: doctors

GIRL CHANGES BLOOD TYPE

Appears to be the first known case. If they can figure out how to replicate whatever caused this, it will have a huge impact on the amount of lives that can be saved!

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Okay - this may be a dumb question, but why was she given a Liver that was from a doner with a different blood type?

This link is for a recent case where a kidney had to be removed soon after the transplant cos the wrong blood type eas entered on the paperwork. I'm not a medical type - ask my liver

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
It'd have to be a blood type compatible with her original otherwise she'd have MAJOR problems with clotting and therefore stroke out or have a heart attack from the blood clots, not to mention her body 'fighting' the rogue blood. Its odd that after thousands of transplants this has happened just recently.

Its puzzling, usually they give you steriods and so forth if you aren't a complete match (and lets be fair, unless you're twins and even then its very unlikely its 100%). Even babies born from some parents with incompatible blood die from the mismatch (because mother starts to fight baby as an intruder). Very odd, but certainly interesting.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
What I dont get is simply this:

Throughout my whole life, at work, at school, in other countries, I have always seen blood drives. (on an ongoing, and constant basis.)

Where is all this blood going? I have a hard time believing that there are that many people, after all these years of day in and day out giving blood, that need a transfusion.

Sure thats what we hear, but thats not what I see.
I see droves of people in various places giving blood on a regular basis...I dont hear about, on the other hand, droves of people that require this blood. Again, this has gone on for years, are people constantly that messed up that we are told we are always "limited" on blood supply?

Think about it for awhile, humans are a frail species after all if this is the case.

Peace

dAlen

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
It goes off, thats the major problem, it requires frozen storage for many parts of it (that can be stored for >1y and for full blood, I think its 3 months and then its useless).

That's why, and most donated blood falls into the two main categories, there are many times when they don't know and must use a blood that won't react and there are less and less people with this type than the normal types. Rhesus factors are also a concern and since a large part of the population is now at least of some 'african' descent, its getting to be a worse problem since many of those have a specific Rhesus factor that as far as I can remember either white people don't, or don't have enough of the time to make much difference.

Its not a major vampire conspiracy, its just we use more than we make given that there is so much difference. That's why articifical blood is a major priority, but alas, so far, is either ineffective in the oxygen carrying or the volume/clotting factor. They can make one work but not the other when blood does both. There are some calf products out now that do both, but as of yet, are not human useable.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by dAlen

Packed red blood cells are only good for 42 days, in the US, frozen is good for 10 years and isn't good in an emergency. I have seen cases every day that go through 8 - 10 units.

Every now and then a unit does go missing so perhaps there is a vampire conspiracy, thing is our lab is staffed 24/7??

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by dAlen

Many wish the red cross and other such organizations were forced to disclose what has been done with all the blood they recieve.

This is a conspiracy sight dealing with among things the nephilim and vampires. Years ago on another conspiracy sight someone posted that the nephilim would most likely choose to work for blood banks if they were still alive.

The RV's that are used during blood drives are staffed by friendly perky people. I once went to a hospital to give blood. The area was manned by a sleeping man who looked like a skeleton with hair. It was eerie.

Not so far fetched , massive amounts of blood could be used to help heal freshly dammaged and burned skin. Also blood can be used for experiments and to collect genetic information. Blood can be dehydrated; dehydrated plasma is very useful. Blood is to useful to be wasted or lost.

[edit on 26-9-2008 by eradown]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by eradown

I dont have insite in the Red Cross except they supply us with a lot of blood, but very little is wasted at our hospital. Each unit is very well tracked and the FDA takes it all very very seriously. Even expired blood is used for research and various projects.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I have had a kidney transplant and certainly not an expert but done lots of research into new transplant techniques so may be able to help answer some questions if anyone has any?

to answer the question about non compatible blood group transplant they are able to do with with kidneys and babies as babies don't have a immune system for the first few months of their lives so when their immune system starts working it just accepts the organ.

The research on non compatible blood transplants is being done in the states I believe and may be linked to transplants where the recipient does't need any immunosuppressants or only low levels.

Unfortunately that is not me, I take one of the newer immunosuppressants tacrolimus or prograf plus prednisolone. The other common transplant drugs are mycophenolate mofetil (MMF) and cyclosporin although cyclosporin is being fazed out is not at all kidney friendly. There is a new one called sirolimus but not suitable for all as prevents the body healing so few can take it but is thought to be quite kidney friendly.

So unless you are identical twins or on one of the medical studies for no immunosuppressants you most likely will have two or more of the above immunosuppressants.

If anyone has any questions I will do my best to help answer them.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by eradown

Not only does blood expire, but some needed blood products require quite a lot of donated whole blood to produce one dose.

Example: Factor VIII, which is used to treat hemophiliacs. Enough Factor VIII to treat a minor bleeding event requires 1 liter of plasma, which is 5-6 average donations.

And you might be amazed at how much blood is required in trauma centers, operating rooms, and hematology/oncology units.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by super70

Transplant patients and immune disease sufferers have received new hope from a 15-year-old Sydney girl hailed as a "one-in-six-billion miracle" when her body took on her liver donor's immune system.

Doctors at Sydney's Westmead Children's Hospital say Demi-Lee Brennan has achieved "the holy grail of transplants" in the only known case of its kind.

Miss Brennan no longer has to take toxic anti-rejection drugs, which transplant patients need to consume for the rest of their lives to stop an internal fight between their new organ and their immune system.

The drugs, known as immunosuppresants, can have toxic effects on organs and cause severe infections.

Miss Brennan had an urgent transplant after a virus caused her liver to fail, potentially fatally, when she was nine years old.

But she became very ill nine months later, suffering haemolysis - a breakdown of the red blood cells.

When tests came back, her doctors were astonished to find the girl's blood group had changed from O-negative, the same as her parents, to the donor's blood type of O-positive.

Further tests revealed stem cells from the donor liver had penetrated Miss Brennan's bone marrow - a phenomenon her doctors have described as a natural bone marrow transplant.

They say they were even more surprised when they found the girl's immune system had been almost totally replaced
(see for more)

www.abc.net.au...

I remember watching tv news reports about this case in Australia. Fascinating, especially as at the time, people with donor-organs were coming forward with claims that their tastes in food, music etc. had changed since their transplants and now appeared to coincide with those of their donors.

[edit on 27-9-2008 by Dock6]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
What an interesting story and for the last poster that is called cellular memory en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
SHe got really really lucky it seems.

Above posters are correct. If you transplant the wrong type liver into a a person the body will automatically reject it drugs or not. Even with the anti-rejection drugs.

Even the correct type sometimes gets rejected. We had a kid come back from a liver transplant, have to have it taken out in 12 hours and we kept that kid alive for over 50 hours without a liver. I have never seen that many blood products used up in one person. Plasma was infused around the clock as well as just about everything else in the blood banks arsenal.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
Okay - this may be a dumb question, but why was she given a Liver that was from a doner with a different blood type?

Depending on the blood types of the donor and recipient, this could be just fine. Some combinations of blood donors/recipients work, others don't.

For example: (From here)

Blood group AB individuals have both A and B antigens on the surface of their RBCs, and their blood serum does not contain any antibodies against either A or B antigen. Therefore, an individual with type AB blood can receive blood from any group (with AB being preferable), but can donate blood only to another group AB individual.

new topics

top topics

join