It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biofuel Investments seen as good bet with sky-high oil prices

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Biofuel Investments seen as good bet with sky-high oil prices

www.reuters.com

DAVOS, Switzerland (Reuters) - Biofuels made from plants and waste will prove an increasingly efficient and cheap substitute for oil in many areas over the coming five years, industry analysts said.

As long as crude sells at prices towards $100 per barrel, there will be strong demand for cheaper biofuels and manufacturing technology will improve, Vinod Khosla, founder of venture capital firm Khosla Ventures, told Reuters.

"It's very clear to me that within the next few years -- about three I would guess, definitely less than five -- we will prove that biofuels are as adequate as oil," Khosla said at the annual meeting of the World Economic Forum.

Biofuels can replace oil as transport fuel and heating. They can also be used in manufacturing.

Khosla estimated oil would have to fall below $50 a barrel to be competitive in three or four years.

"If I had to look ahead 10 or 15 years, I guess the number would be $35," he said.

Biofuels are seen as a way of cutting reliance on oil as fuel and thereby reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Well, it looks like the Swiss are waking up and smelling the coffee. I think it's time we do as well. We have GOT to end our dependence on foreign oil, and our being held hostage by these oil companies with their sky-high prices.

I hope we'll see the day of fuel prices like this guy talks about one day.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
There is one company I know of with an interesting biofuel process.
It is US Sustainable Energy Corporation. They have an interesting process that extracts alot of usuable product from each bushel of soybean. I am particularly interested in the cold weather properties of its fuel (which can be mixed with other fuels). If you are interested check them out at: www.ussec.us...

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Thanks Nikki. I think we really need to start giving exposure to these types of companies and supporting them, because the media won't. I will be happy to see this greed monopoly of fuel price spiking come to an end one day, if it ever does.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I am a huge supporter of all things sustainable. My undergraduate degree is in Conservation Policy and Planning and I am currently working on my masters in Landscape Architecture with an emphasis on Active Sustainable systems.

That Isaid I have mixed feelings about biofuels. First and foremost ethanol. At them moment ethanol is a net-negative energy source. That is, it consumes more energy (mostly in the form of oil products) to produce than it provides. At this point in time I believe it to be a scam perpetrated by the oil industry (hence GW Bush's support of it).

Other biofuels like Bio-Diesel are great on a small scale especially when produced from waste grease, but I don't think they would be viable on a larger scale. Maybe there is some way to change this reality, for both bio-diesel and for ethanol but I don't see it at the moment.

Sure, we will have to find an alternative to oil but I think people are failing to really look out side the box on this issue. We are so conditioned to believe that we will always have personal transport as it exists today. That is a car in every family's front yard, personal owner/operators of semi elivery / distribution, etc.

While it is true we will defiantly have a need for a certain level of personal transport for many things I think the real answer to the energy crisis is to reduce personal transport and dramatically increase mass-transport. Trains, buses, ferrys, etc.

Anyway that is my humble opinion.

[edit on 24-1-2008 by Animal]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
With the rising prices and increasing shortage of food I bet more and more countries will introduce legislation restricting the development and use of biofuels. Or... the cost of producing food will be just higher than you will be willing to pay for the bio-fuel. People need food to live. They do not need to drive around to live...

I actually doubt that bio-diesel companies are a good investment in the long run...

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Alphard

The affects of this are already being seen in the USA. The price of corn is tripled in the last few months. That corn is used to feed animals, which will start raising the price from meat to milk.

Watch price increased across the food board...

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Biofuel is an alternative for some areas who can afford to share it or save it for emergency applications. But I think we can do better using geothermal, wind generators and other free energy type sources to produce electricity and hydrogen fuel.

I wonder how many meat processing plants are also saving and recycling animal fats to be used as fuel?

new topics

top topics

join