It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do the advertisements know my name and where I live?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I was just wondering how the advertisements know where I live? This last week there has been an insurance ad that knows my city and zipcode, every time it pops up it asks to give me the rates in mycity, Ga. with my exact zipcode.
Also a dating site ad keeps popping up with my city and sometimes my name, how do they get this information?
I am sure there is a good reason for all this I am just wondering what it is...

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by SEEWHATUDO
I was just wondering how the advertisements know where I live?

Your IP address. There are several technology solutions that enable advertisers and websites to know your city and zip code based on your IP.

Also a dating site ad keeps popping up with my city and sometimes my name, how do they get this information?

If you've ever logged into the dating site, and still have their cookie on your computer, they would know your name... however, that level of intrusiveness is rare in banners. If this isn't the case, please take a screen shot and send it to me the next time it appears... I'd like to ensure that we remove those ads from our ad network providers.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
The zip code as well as city and state can be calculated from IP address (a number assigned to your computer or network when it connects to the internet).

Your name however I don’t know about that one that sounds a little intrusive. Unless they are just hitting a lucky guess.

woops beat to the punch again...

[edit on 24-1-2008 by tommyknockers]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Ok Thank you!
I am very married and as far as I know have never been to a dating site except for the eharmony site a couple of years ago (my husband and I wanted to see if we would be matched up. Okay we were very bored that night)
So how do I take a screen shot if I see it again? I am computer challenged...
Thanks again!!

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Print screen key above delete key. Paste into Paint program.

new topics

top topics

join